Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator noise help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator noise help

My alternator went bad and I replaced the stock 102amp with a brand new 130 amp alternator. So I do the swaop and now I here this loud noise that sounds like its super charged. went I tap the gas it gets higher pitched. Any idea what it is?????
Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running aftermarket stereo equipment? Mine used to do it, and was related to the power for my sub running right next to the signal cable going to the back of the car. Once I put the power running down one side of the car and the signal wires going down the other side, it stopped.

If that isn't the case, then I'm fresh out of ideas I'm not sure why your old one didn't whine but this new one does, unless something is wrong with the new alternator (which I'd kinda doubt, but **** happens).
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Are you running aftermarket stereo equipment? Mine used to do it, and was related to the power for my sub running right next to the signal cable going to the back of the car. Once I put the power running down one side of the car and the signal wires going down the other side, it stopped.

If that isn't the case, then I'm fresh out of ideas I'm not sure why your old one didn't whine but this new one does, unless something is wrong with the new alternator (which I'd kinda doubt, but **** happens).
I have all stock system
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Off topic, but where did you get that 130 amp alt?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you tried taking the belt back off and spinning the alternator pulley to see if it moves freely? Could be defective, and possibly have bad bearings. You may also have the belt on too tight. It honestly could be a number of things. Here's a nice article on diagnosing your problem:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZdEcytM...ech/kb348.html

I would recommend taking it back out and up to an auto parts store to have it diagnosed on their testing bench. If it still whines there, then it's an internal problem with the alternator. If it works fine, then you have some other electrical problem on the car.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Off topic, but where did you get that 130 amp alt?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-A...4506.m20.l1116

I know its ebay buy his seller rating is outstanding and the Alternator is new and not a reman
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

are we talking about a whine that you hear through the speakers or a whine in the engine compartment?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
are we talking about a whine that you hear through the speakers or a whine in the engine compartment?
Its in the engine compartment
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing.
I have a 220 amp alt and it used to do that when the engine was cold. Someone told me that it had to something with my Optima Yellow battery and that I should change the positive from the battery to the alternator to a 0 ga. wire, but I never did.

And this was over a year ago, for some reason that high pitch whine just stopped, don't know why.