Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Switchback Problems! Advice? Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Switchback Problems! Advice? Please!

So, I have a 2002 Camaro SS and I am installing 60 LED Switchback turn signals that replace a 3157 bulb. The following is what the lights are doing:

1. When the headlights are OFF, the driving light is AMBER and the turn signal only flashes amber on and off.

2. When the headlights are ON, the driving light is WHITE and the turn signal flashes AMBER, while the driving light is on (WHITE).

The two colors do not alternate amber and white like they should. The driving light should be white at all times. The amber should only come on when the turn signal is activated. The light should flash white, amber, white, amber, etc., hence switchback.

The wiring I have done is placing a resistor on the ground (black) and turn (blue) wires. Just like the diagram said!

Thank You for your replies!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
BS
Launching!

Sounds right to me, both circuits are lit in some modes. When I installed my Switchbacks from Autolumination the Amber lights were on bright circuit when the DRLs
were suppose to be on and flashed amber-off . The
amber and White lights were on when the parking
lights were suppose to be on but appear to be Amber
and it flashed amber-off and the white stayed on
(appeared A-W ). When the headlights were on the
white light were on and flashed white-amber. I
switched the blue and brown wires in the socket. Now
the white lights are on the bright circuit for the DRLs
and flash white-off . The parking lights appear white
but both Amber and White are on and the
white flashes off and on and the Amber stays on
(appears W- A). When the headlights are on the LEDs
are amber and flash amber-white.

Last edited by BS; 01-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The bulbs are working as they should. F-bodies use the turn signal circuit to run the daytime running lights. Switchbacks are designed to be white for parking lights (the dim circuit of a normal 3157 bulb) and amber for the turn signals (the bright circuit of a 3157). Since the DRLs use the turn signal circuit, they will be amber and the only time the lights will be white is when the parking lights are active with the headlights.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the responses! So, it would seem this is just a GM issue and not my wiring. Is there anything I can do to the wiring to correct these issues? It must be possible because I have seen other camaros on you tube showing off their switchbacks and they seem to work flawlessly! Thanks for the input!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I am having an issue as well on my 02' Z28. I had to replace the turn signal assemblies and sockets so I went with the 3157 switchbacks. The lights seem to work correctly at night but not during the day. Sometimes one of them won't turn on or blink at all during the day whether I turn on the headlights or not. I have installed the EL-12 flasher cube but I haven't installed the resistors to the wiring as of yet. I was hoping to avoid that. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The only difference between daytime use and nighttime use is the automatic headlight system. Otherwise, the turn signals and DRLs work exactly the same day or night. Do you experience the same symptoms at night if you turn the headlights on manually with the switch? Also check whether they work during the day if you cover the light sensor on top of the dash (next to the defroster vent) to make the automatic headlights activate. If so, that would indicate a problem with the DRL module (which also controls the automatic headlights).
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Hello WhiteBird00. Thank you for replying. The lights are all messed up. I took some notes yesterday during the day on my lights working or not working. I can post the findings. It is quite long though. I did cover the light sensor and the lights still didn't work correctly. I'm going to check them again tonight at work and see what they are doing.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Teching In

So I checked my turn signals/driving lights before leaving work tonight and everything worked except flashing hazards with the key off and the light switch in the off position. Only the passenger side hazard light was flashing amber. The driver side was totally off. Then I get back to the apartment (about 15 minutes away and just under 6 miles). I was checking to see if my turn signals were working on the way back and everything was fine. I get back to the apartment and I have no turn signals up front and no hazards. This is with the car running! I'm at a total loss!!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Have you tried replacing the LED switchbacks with standard bulbs for testing purposes? It's always best to put things back to stock first to eliminate the changes as being the source of a problem. You don't want to be chasing done wiring ghosts if the problem turns out to be the bulbs.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Hello WhiteBird00. I was actually going to replace the LED switchbacks with the amber standard bulbs to see if everything works as it should in daytime and nighttime. If the standard bulbs work correctly, I don't know if I should try another set of LED bulbs. I do like the look and function of the switchbacks when they decide to work. I've had moisture issues and that was why I replaced the turn signal assemblies (again) and decided to go with LED lighting. I have drilled a small hole in each assembly this time and also used RTV silicone around the new sockets (new sockets again). The issue with moisture seems to have been fixed. I know I don't want to melt any more sockets or assemblies and I'm kind of hesitant going back to the standard bulb. Thank you once again for your reply to my issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm not suggesting that you go back to standard bulbs permanently, just for testing purposes. If everything works with standard bulbs then you can assume that the switchbacks are bad and replace them with other LED bulbs (either switchback or basic 3157 LEDs). The problem you are experiencing is not from the mere fact that you have installed LED bulbs in place of standard bulbs because the symptoms don't match. LED bulbs can cause turn signals to stop flashing but they don't ever fail to light unless they're bad in the first place.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Teching In

I understand what you're saying WhiteBird00. I was just saying the reasons that I went to LED lighting. I am hoping that the switchbacks just prove to be faulty and it's nothing to do with the car's wiring. If the standard bulbs work correctly in day and at night, is there a 3157 LED switchback bulb that you would recommend? I appreciate the time you take in replying to not just me but others who have issues/questions.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

V-LEDs and Diode Dynamics are leaders in the field but tend to be expensive. I've had very good results buying JDM Astar LED bulbs. They are reasonably priced, well built and extremely bright. I haven't tried their switchbacks but I've used their plain amber 3157s in several vehicles as DRLs for over two years without a problem.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Thank you WhiteBird00. I may check into those 3 suggestions for 3157 LED bulbs that you mentioned. I was going to put the standard bulbs in my car tonight after clocking out at work but I decided to check my lights out again. This time, everything worked the way they should. Even the hazard lights! So I go back in to work and tell a couple of co workers that now the lights are working but I'm going to check them one more time before I leave. So I shut down the computer and clock out. I start checking my lights and no turn signals or hazards. It didn't matter if the key was just on or the car was running and what position the light switch was in. That was like 10 minutes after I had just checked them when they all worked! Well as I was checking them, I inadvertently turned on the wipers and then the turn signal that I had switched on (the passenger side) turned on. I was told by a first shift co worker that the turn signal switch could have something to do with it if it's going out. I know I've had the cruise control quit on me a few times and had to reset it. I guess I'm going to keep an eye on the turn signal switch. When the turn signals or hazards fail to work, I'll turn the wipers on and see what happens lol.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The wipers and turn signals really don't have much in common other than their ground. Even the switches are separate - the wiper switch is part of the multi-function stalk on the left of the steering column but the turn signal switch is inside the steering column and is only mechanically activated by moving the stalk. Neither switch is very expensive but the turn signal switch is a lot more work to replace. I'll be curious to see if using the wiper switch affects the issue next time it happens.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Hello WhiteBird00. Yes I meant that the passenger side turn signal started flashing when I inadvertently turned on the wipers with the lever. I really don't know what the issue is. I do know that there is no way for me to tell if or when the lights are working correctly since the turn signal and hazard indicators on the dash always work. As do the back lights.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Well my LED issues continue. I am stumped. I haven't replaced my current LED bulbs with standard bulbs as of yet. I have purchased another set of LED bulbs and I'm waiting on them to arrive. I figure I'll test the standard bulbs when I get the new LED bulbs so I'm only taking the car apart one time! It's strange how the lights work most of the time correctly at night but then not in daylight. Or they will work correctly then 10 minutes later they won't.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I had to take the day off to put my 02' Z28 in the shop for another fuel leak that I found Saturday night (inline fuel filter) so I decided to mess around with my front turn signals. I was going to replace the 3157 LED bulbs that were too long with the 3157 LED bulbs that I purchased from JDM but strangely I cannot find them so I put the OEM bulbs back in. They seem to be working okay just testing them in the apartment parking lot during the day. I'll probably go back out tonight and test them again since I have to re-aim my headlights. Really sucks I cannot find the new LED's from JDM. I may have to purchase them again! Ugh!!!!

Quick Reply: LED Switchback Problems! Advice? Please!