Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

quick question on speaker rms?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick question on speaker rms?????????????

I'm looking to replace my mid bass speakers on my t/a (OEM stereo) the max watt is 170 and the RMS is 110. Does stock monsoon have enough to power them or do iI need a speaker with lower RMS to sound right? Also do they have to be duel voice coil ? Thx

Last edited by ironmikektm525; 12-14-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is not a problem to use a speaker rated to handle more power than your stereo produces. Don't let anyone tell you that under-powering will damage a speaker - if that were true, you would never be able to turn down the volume (reduce the power).

Using an SVC speaker in place of a DVC means you are giving up half the available power. That doesn't mean they will be half as loud (you have to cut power by a factor of ten to cut volume in half) but the difference will be noticeable... about one or two notches on the volume control.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info. I know OEM is 2 ohm. Set I'm looking at is 8 ohm. Will that work? I'm having a hard time finding a set on eBay that will work OK. Don't want to spend a lot as I don't even listen to stereo much. Just want to sound decent . my OEM ones where blown. Don't know much about speakers lol. Anyway you can look and give me suggestions and item #'s ? Would save me a lot of time as I've been looking for a bit.thx
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do you want to spend on the speakers?
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
Good info. I know OEM is 2 ohm. Set I'm looking at is 8 ohm. Will that work? I'm having a hard time finding a set on eBay that will work OK. Don't want to spend a lot as I don't even listen to stereo much. Just want to sound decent . my OEM ones where blown. Don't know much about speakers lol. Anyway you can look and give me suggestions and item #'s ? Would save me a lot of time as I've been looking for a bit.thx
Actually no, the OEM sail panel sub in Firebirds is a dual voice coil 4-ohm setup. Camaros have single voice coil 2-ohm subs there.

Doubling the impedance (using 8-ohm instead of 4-ohm) has the same effect as using only one of two channels - it cuts the power in half. Combining the two (higher impedance and only one channel) results in having only one quarter of the available power. This will cause a significant loss of volume.

I recommend getting a set of Bazooka subs for $100 from Kee Audio. They are matched to your Monsoon system and everyone who has used them has been very pleased with the result... stronger and cleaner bass.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said don't really listen to stereo much but would like. Just want it working when I do. Can you get same qaulity or little better for $50? Seen a bunch of brand names on eBay for around there. Again not looking for crazy bass. One was blown and one crackled so can't sound any worse
Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
Like I said don't really listen to stereo much but would like. Just want it working when I do. Can you get same qaulity or little better for $50? Seen a bunch of brand names on eBay for around there. Again not looking for crazy bass. One was blown and one crackled so can't sound any worse
YES, it can sound worse, you can NOT be able to tell there is anything there, cutting power levels that low by switching to 8-ohm speakers is not something you want, also MOST of the cheaper speakers don't play the frequencies transmitted to those channels by the amp, any speaker you look at needs to go down pretty low (39 Hz on the Bazookas for reference) and most cheaper ones bottom out around 1KHz. It's not just about the speaker fitting, it's about the proper frequency response range for what the amp puts out, there is a reason the bazookas are the speaker of choice for folks on a budget.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, this is not something I would normally even mention let alone recommend. There is a brand named Pyle that is usually referred to as "Pyle of crap" but they are very inexpensive, they fill the hole where a speaker goes and they make sound. You can get Pyle PLPW6D 6.5" 4-ohm dual voice coil subs on Amazon for $12.88 each (Walmart has them for the same price). They will fit and work with the Monsoon wiring but I make no claims about how they will sound and certainly not how long they might last. I will say that at least they are subs so they will sound better than any full-range or coaxial speaker would sound in the sail panels.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...subwoofer.html

skip right to the last post for a review on the Pyle PLPW6D from someone who put them in an f-body and remember you really do get what you pay for.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yup, I knew about that thread. The last poster hated them but in posts #15 and #16 they seemed to think they were acceptable. To each his own.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, they at least do have the proper impedance's to keep the power output right, unlike most other speakers out there. but i'm just suggesting not to be so cheap, it's like with HID kits stuck into factory housings (as we know the wrong way to do it) there are cheap 30 dollar kits then there are the Morimoto 3five and the light output of the Morimotos is so very much better and the cheap kits are lucky to be as good as stock.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx for not letting me the mistake of buying those piles of crap lol.can someone give me direct link for the correct bazookas I need for my 99 t/a plz for $100. I only seen them for $169 thx
Old 12-17-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never mind guys I found them/ordered. Thx for the advice!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update! Good advice ! Speakers sound great! Thx

Quick Reply: quick question on speaker rms?????????????