Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I need a 4" 4 ohm Monsoon speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a 4" 4 ohm Monsoon speaker

All I want to find is either a new factory one or a used if I have to go that route. I borrowed my moms 2001 T/A for a few days and the woofer in the panel near the hatch blew. It appears to be 4" if it's the same as the one on the other side panel, which they happened to have sitting out due to tire issues. When I try to search the model #, I don't come up with a 4" anywhere. I see something that looks 4x6 on ebay. This appears to be part of a component speaker and from Crutchfield, the 4" seems to be the correct one. Is this right? As it's my mom's car (70 year old driver, 30k miles if interested maybe she'll sell), there's absolutely no need to upgrade any part of this. I just want to get it back in working order. Help me please and I won't flame about my car, lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unless you find an OEM replacement, you should replace both sides so as not to have odd unbalanced sound (mainly because most 4" aftermarket speakers will be coaxial rather than just mids). 4" coaxial speakers are available just about anywhere - our sponsors carry them but you can also get them from Amazon or even Walmart. In fact, Walmart sells a pair of Boss 4" coaxial speakers for less than $16. They're not good speakers but the hatch speakers are there for rear fill only so you don't need much. You could even cut the tweeter leads to leave only the mid being driven so you don't end up with too much high frequency from the back of the car.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks WhiteBird00. I know a single is going to be hard to find. I'm hoping someone might just have one lying around or have a parts car. I definitely know we need to match things up.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 AM

I might replace mine this week but I'm waiting for the speakers to come in to see if I like them or not, if I do pay for shipping and i'll send you one.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Parts express
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by hostage
I might replace mine this week but I'm waiting for the speakers to come in to see if I like them or not, if I do pay for shipping and i'll send you one.
Yeah, I think I can wait a few days on a deal like that. She never drives the car anyway, although I'm about to borrow it again while I get some body work done. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Oops!

Got my hands on mom's car again. Turns out, it's the rear left seat speaker that needs replacing. From looking at Crutchfield, that's a 6 3/4" speaker. I'm assuming the factory one is coaxial. There is no listing for the ohm rating on Crutchfield and I haven't pulled any panels off to actually look at it. I am assuming it's 4 ohm like the rear. Is this right? I'm going to wait and see if HOSTAGE comes through unless someone else has one they want to get rid of cheap.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM

if its the one next to the rear seats its the 6.5" dual voice coil subs
Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 PM

That would be it. fires into your side if you're in the back seat. Strange that Crutchfield didn't show it that way.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The fact that the sail panel speakers are dual voice coil 4-ohm subs means you can't replace them with coaxial or similar full-range speakers. The Monsoon amp filters the signal to the two channels going to each sail panel allowing only low frequency signal. Full-range speakers are not designed to handle those mid-bass frequencies well so they will sound terrible.

There was another discussion about this very topic just last month: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lacements.html
Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM

Thanks. Yeah, you certainly don't need a coax speaker if a low pass filter or something similar is used.

Quick Reply: I need a 4" 4 ohm Monsoon speaker