Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM/Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM/Door Locks

Stock 2000 formula, only thing electrical done is stereo system which has never given problems and had an aftermarket viper alarm installed more than a year ago. Shortly after i got it installed the doors would lock on their own while driving, or just standing near the car with no key in the ignition. I took the car to the viper dealer and they ruled out that it wasn't the alarm interfering in any way, the technician also tried to put the car in programming mode to turn off the factory alarm and it wouldn't allow it.

Yesterday i drove the car and while the locks were being triggered i could hear 'clicking' type of noise coming from the BCM as well. Aside from this, the factory alarm is enabling itself after i close the door but the door's wont lock until i manually lock it with the fob. Is my BCM toast?, do i need to solder a crack in the BCM? Is there some sort of electrical interference? Already tried a search and nobody seems to have had this sort of problem and i dont know what to do.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to stereo and electronics. The ONLY way to decypher this is to understand both this car's BCM and the Viper system. (Your Viper dealer does not.). Fortunately, we have some members in the other section that do.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

appreciate the response, i was gonna post on that forum, anyways hopefully i get a response
Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Your BCM would not be toast - definitely. Did you check the Sticky FAQ in the electrical sections for the BCM fixes? I suppose the typical solder joint problem could be at play here, but I don't recall if the issue causes intermittent "ON" problems or only intermittent failures.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Teching In

I'd recommend getting rid of that viper after you get it straightened out anyways. Aftermarket alarms are pretty bad when it comes to causing odd electrical issues.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually most alarms have become quite sophisticated, but our cars aren't that complex.

The relays you hear clicking in the bcm are the relays that supply power to the door lock motors. Who installed the alarm? Its possible the brain is bad and is providing a ground for the lock circuit, or there is an intermittent short on the wire coming from the brain. If you have any electrical experience, I would start there.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Actually most alarms have become quite sophisticated, but our cars aren't that complex.

The relays you hear clicking in the bcm are the relays that supply power to the door lock motors. Who installed the alarm? Its possible the brain is bad and is providing a ground for the lock circuit, or there is an intermittent short on the wire coming from the brain. If you have any electrical experience, I would start there.
As of today my locks are randomly going off still, when i unlock the car with the fob it instantly locks itself. An independent alarm dealer in Northern CA installed the alarm. i already took it to them and they swapped the brain and assured me there were no loose wires etc. I have to find out if they will charge me labor to remove the alarm , then see if that was the interference.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Save the manuals!

Do you still have the stock fob? What happens if you unlock the car with it?
Old 09-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Do you still have the stock fob? What happens if you unlock the car with it?
ive been using the stock fob for awhile now so that when i unlock the car using the stock fob the factory alarm doesnt go off. i dont use the viper alarm although it is still connected but when i unlock the car it instantly locks itself with stock fob. the locks literally go off over and over when the car is parked. i drive the car get out then shut the door and the factory alarm enables without me touching anything.

Last edited by BEAST_WS6M6; 09-11-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: mispell

Quick Reply: BCM/Door Locks