Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

backup camera signal wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default backup camera signal wire

question:

is there any way to get the backup signal wire from behind the dash? (2002 Camaro SS 6-speed manual)

or is it just easier to run the signal wire from the new stereo unit (Pioneer AVH-170dvd) to the reverse lights at the rear?

my backup camera RCA wire does not have a signal wire like some of the videos i have seen.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The radio doesn't produce a backup signal to turn on the reverse lights. That comes from the transmission.

Radios with backup camera inputs have a video input from the camera and an input for the signal from the transmission.

It is easy to run a wire from the trans signal to the radio or wherever you need it since the wires are accessible under the center console by the shifter. I did it years ago and I forget which wire it is, but a quick search on this forum should find it.

I tapped into the power from the reverse lights to power my camera so it only turns on when the car is in reverse. I also replaced the reverse lights with high output LEDs to get more light at lower current.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of my resources show a location for reverse trigger.

The reverse lights probably trigger off the transmission, so grabbing the wire at the light will be the easiest.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
The radio doesn't produce a backup signal to turn on the reverse lights. That comes from the transmission.

Radios with backup camera inputs have a video input from the camera and an input for the signal from the transmission.

It is easy to run a wire from the trans signal to the radio or wherever you need it since the wires are accessible under the center console by the shifter. I did it years ago and I forget which wire it is, but a quick search on this forum should find it.

I tapped into the power from the reverse lights to power my camera so it only turns on when the car is in reverse. I also replaced the reverse lights with high output LEDs to get more light at lower current.

thanks. so is there an easy place to get to the reverse signal from the trans (manual) with out having to run a wire from the new stereo all the way to the reverse lighat at the rear? i would assume the reverse signal wire is behind the dash somewhere. question is, does anybody know for sure where its at?

i have searched alot, but nothing really comes up here about backup cameras.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Launching!

During installation, you are already working back there in order to mount the camera. I have always run the signal wire from the backup bulb while routing the wire for the camera signal. There may be a way to grab it from the BCM in the interior, but to me it is always easier to just grab the wire at the bulb.

Again, I mount the camera first, tap into the 12volt wire on the backup light bulb, wrap both wires together, and then punch through a grommet and run them through the interior to the radio. I'll keep searching, but that has always been easiest for me.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
thanks. so is there an easy place to get to the reverse signal from the trans (manual) with out having to run a wire from the new stereo all the way to the reverse lighat at the rear? i would assume the reverse signal wire is behind the dash somewhere. question is, does anybody know for sure where its at?

i have searched alot, but nothing really comes up here about backup cameras.
* Use the Pos & Neg from the Reverse Bulbs at the back of the car to power the camera at the back of the car.
* Run the video wire from the camera at the back of the car to the radio inside the car.
* The wires for the Camera can run through an existing grommet for the taillights.
* Tap a wire from the reverse switch under the center console to go to the reverse sense input of the radio. I don't remember where the wire is and my car is in storage, but I have an auto and it was easy to get to.

Some radios can auto-sense video input and auto switch so you may not need to tap a wire from the reverse switch. The radio might auto-switch when the camera turns on.

http://www.justanswer.com/car-electr...mera-asks.html

Last edited by VIP1; 03-31-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

* Use the Pos & Neg from the Reverse Bulbs at the back of the car to power the camera at the back of the car.
* Run the video wire from the camera at the back of the car to the radio inside the car.
* The wires for the Camera can run through an existing grommet for the taillights.
* Tap a wire from the reverse switch under the center console to go to the reverse sense input of the radio. I don't remember where the wire is and my car is in storage, but I have an auto and it was easy to get to.

Some radios can auto-sense video input and auto switch so you may not need to tap a wire from the reverse switch. The radio might auto-switch when the camera turns on.

Thanks. I appreciate the advise.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Just a note on this.

Most headunits have an option to turn on the camera without the car being in reverse. I have used this to see who is following too close, or to keep an eye on my trailer when driving my truck. If you power the camera off of the wires powering the reverse lights, this will not be an option for you. I connect mine to ignition wires, just for this reason.

Some other cameras have programmable options such as parking lines, or proximity sensors. They may have a problem being powered this way, where it would take a while before the image is available after shifting to reverse.

Another reason that this is tougher to do, is that power for the camera will be at the far end of the wiring. They are designed to connect to power behind the radio, not near the camera.

Just a different way to do it, not saying that one way or the other is wrong. Post up if you have any questions during your install.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
If you power the camera off of the wires powering the reverse lights, this will not be an option for you. I connect mine to ignition wires, just for this reason.
Two Position ON/ON Toggle Switch. Second wire going to it can be ignition switched. Position 1: from reverse switch. Position 2: from alternate source (ignition switched, etc). I didn't wire it this way, but that would be easy.

Some other cameras have programmable options such as parking lines, or proximity sensors. They may have a problem being powered this way, where it would take a while before the image is available after shifting to reverse.
For those cameras, the lines and whatnot are always there. No additional "boot-up" time. Mine has the lines. The other features you mention are typically other devices (sometimes packaged together), but they are fine too without additional noticeable boot-up time or other complications. Its a simple two-wire power connection (power and ground) and video signal. No further complication. Those other additions are typically other devices with other return-signal wires, but their power requirements are still the same simple 2-wire (power and ground) hookup.

Another reason that this is tougher to do, is that power for the camera will be at the far end of the wiring. They are designed to connect to power behind the radio, not near the camera.
Mine is wired exactly as I described. It works perfectly. They are not "designed to connect to power behind the radio". They don't care where the power comes from as long as they can get the amperage they need and they need very little. To help further, I replaced the reverse lights with high output LEDs. So with even the camera connected back there, the total amperage draw is still lower than the original two bulbs.

Last edited by VIP1; 04-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: backup camera signal wire