Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio stopped working

I've got a 2000 Z28 with the monsoon audio system, but with an aftermarket head unit. I've been using this setup for more than a year with no problems, but the other day the head unit just shut off. It's not the common bcm problem where the radio and windows don't work. I've already fixed that. It's also not the two fuses because I've tested the old ones and even replaced them anyway and it didn't change anything. I hooked up the factory radio and the clock will come on but I'm not able to switch it to fm, am, tape, or the cd changer and there is no sound. I can hear the cd changer in the trunk working like it should, and I know the cd changer and monsoon amp use the same fuse. So do you guys think my monsoon amp could be broken? I've gotten water in my trunk before so maybe it could have damaged it in some way.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is definitely not the amp. If the amp was the problem then everything on the head unit would work (source selection, frequency or track display, etc.) but you wouldn't hear any sound.

The symptoms sound like you have a power supply problem. There are two power sources for the head unit (well actually three if you count illumination). One is constant (battery) power which runs the clock, the radio memory, and the disc eject. The other is ignition switched (technically Retained Accessory Power) which runs everything else such as source selection and signal output. It sounds like you have working constant power but no RAP power. I suggest you use a test light or multimeter to check for power on the yellow wire in the factory 10-pin black connector for the head unit (second from the end, next to the orange wire).
Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Alright I'm going to test it tomorrow. Thanks for the detailed info
Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

While you're in there with a meter... I would check ALL fuses. You'd be surprised how many times I get customers with blown fuses and it's not related to the circuit in question at all... Can't hurt lol.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Teching In

So it turns out my aftermarket radio was toast. That's all it was. I used a test light to check all wires and fuses and they were all working correctly, so it was just the dead unit causing the issue. The reason I couldn't get the stock radio to work was that the power button got stuck. Once I pressed it hard enough the radio came on and worked. Last time I buy a radio from kenwood. I've already got a pioneer unit on the way. Thanks for your help guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is definitely not the amp. If the amp was the problem then everything on the head unit would work (source selection, frequency or track display, etc.) but you wouldn't hear any sound.

The symptoms sound like you have a power supply problem. There are two power sources for the head unit (well actually three if you count illumination). One is constant (battery) power which runs the clock, the radio memory, and the disc eject. The other is ignition switched (technically Retained Accessory Power) which runs everything else such as source selection and signal output. It sounds like you have working constant power but no RAP power. I suggest you use a test light or multimeter to check for power on the yellow wire in the factory 10-pin black connector for the head unit (second from the end, next to the orange wire).
Hate to revive dead threads but. I actually have this problem to I have constant power to yellow wire bit head unit doesn't come on tried two different head units. My windows do work tho so not BCM issue
Old 02-15-2021, 10:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffaloaf
Hate to revive dead threads but. I actually have this problem to I have constant power to yellow wire bit head unit doesn't come on tried two different head units. My windows do work tho so not BCM issue
I assume you are messing with the factory wiring since using a proper harness adapter is simple plug and play. You need BOTH battery and ignition power - battery power to the ORANGE wire and ignition switched power to the YELLOW wire.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I assume you are messing with the factory wiring since using a proper harness adapter is simple plug and play. You need BOTH battery and ignition power - battery power to the ORANGE wire and ignition switched power to the YELLOW wire.
I actually fixed it shorted it and blew the fuse after replacing the fuse it fixed itself so... I don't really know what was wrong lmao 😂😂

Quick Reply: Radio stopped working