Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Optima Battery Relocation ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima Battery Relocation ?

Is their a kit that i can use to relocate the battery to the trunk with this battery? I see relocation kits with different battery sizes and wasnt sure.. Anyone who has done this, if you can give me some lessons learned and the kits used it would be appreciated. I am also thinking of relocated it to where the CD changer was in the car on the drivers side. Is that going to add any problems into the install? My NOS bottle is in the passenger fender well and i dont want to mix battery + NOS..

Thanks in advance for your replies..Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

bump for ya, I would like to know too
Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Real the best way to do this is BMR relocation kit,Taylor relocation kit (a must!!) and mount it on the passenger side.depending on your bottle size both can fit very nicely.

I have seen,helped, and told many people on this and trust me Taylor relocation 2ga wire kit is so important! Go throught the hole in the firewall behind the PCM and mount the battery in the passenger side! Reason why is it is safer and better for performance. And it is also nice to use a battery jumper box like on the LT1 to hook up all the powers without cutting anything.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc.HTM
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

The battery and the bottle mixed in the fender well is safe? Thats why is was wanting to put it on the passenger side.. I guess it makes sense just sounds like a bad recipe..
Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is fine ProMod cars have bottles inches away from 2 batterys! And people with electric openers have there electric power right on the open valve. It is all fine.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay here is what i found and the direction i am going to go in. The BMR bracket is not NHRA legal. To be NHRA legal it needs to be enclosed in a box.Taylor makes a box for less then the BMR bracket and i ordered the 1 gage Taylor relocation kit. I am installing my kill switch in the rear panel (the reason for relocating) Thunder helped me out on this and i got the whole setup for around 140.00 Thanks For you help. BTW i am going to be mounting the BOX in the t-top area.. And i can post some pics when its finished..Thanks for all the help and getting me pointed in the right direction ..Jim
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

He relocation bracket is legal, as the rules say sealed battery with a wall or enclosed from the driver area! This has been taked about many times. And the tracks have given it a ok. If it was a problem the Relocation bracket is wider than the batery so I could just drop a box in there! But I see your point on the on/off switch. And way to go on the Taylor wire.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The track's i race on are all IHRA and NHRA tracks..They tend to be pretty strick about the safety rules and what your saying makes sense. It was cheeper and it will keep me from having drama and needing to debate the issue.. I didnt even look at the rule, thats just what Thunder told me at the BMR bracket..

The kill switch seems pretty easy to. Battery/Ground in the trunk.. and 4 gage to the altrnator.. Hope it works goes in as easy as it sounds..I will post more after the install..

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Relocation ?