Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Location of grounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Location of grounds

Can someone tell me where all the grounds are on a LS1 Trans Am? I think I may have a loose ground somewhere causing my lights to flicker like crazy. Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

C'mon some has to know. This electrical problem is driving me nuts
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

All of the grounds will connect to the body, frame, or engine and then the battery. As for where each one is, you will have to purchase the oem service manual. The headlight ground should be located on the radiator support or the frame just below it.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cbrich
All of the grounds will connect to the body, frame, or engine and then the battery. As for where each one is, you will have to purchase the oem service manual. The headlight ground should be located on the radiator support or the frame just below it.

That helps some. Do you know how many there are? Thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

It might help to say what area specifically your having trouble in.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
It might help to say what area specifically your having trouble in.
What do you mean what area? Every single light on my car will flicker anytime my car is given any gas. I have took it places and they said the alternator and battery were good. I was just trying to make sure it wasnt something simple like a loose ground
Old 01-20-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DustinWS6
Every single light on my car will flicker anytime my car is given any gas. I have took it places and they said the alternator and battery were good. I was just trying to make sure it wasnt something simple like a loose ground
Does your voltmeter fluctuate much, it should be a constant 14 volts or a litter higher. As for the ground check your battery negative terminal could be corroded and also check you positive terminal.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Does your voltmeter fluctuate much, it should be a constant 14 volts or a litter higher. As for the ground check your battery negative terminal could be corroded and also check you positive terminal.

Yea, the voltmeter does fluctuate
Old 01-22-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Another question have you ever had battery problems mainly the car won't start, or just barely turns over.

Another problem could be the connector on the alternator might not be making a good connection, is the tab holding the connector on the alternator still good, not broken.

If you can check the continuity between the negative battery terminal and several spots around the vehicle, frame, engine, radiator suport, fenders, and firewall. One last spot to check is the headlight socket, pull the connector off the headlight and check voltage with the car running, remember which wire you got voltage off of and check continuity off the other this is you ground. Post what the voltage is and continuity from the negative battery terminal to the spot you check it.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Another question have you ever had battery problems mainly the car won't start, or just barely turns over.

Another problem could be the connector on the alternator might not be making a good connection, is the tab holding the connector on the alternator still good, not broken.

If you can check the continuity between the negative battery terminal and several spots around the vehicle, frame, engine, radiator suport, fenders, and firewall. One last spot to check is the headlight socket, pull the connector off the headlight and check voltage with the car running, remember which wire you got voltage off of and check continuity off the other this is you ground. Post what the voltage is and continuity from the negative battery terminal to the spot you check it.
Alright, Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Damn... I'm having the same problem... I've had it in the dealership 3 times and they can't fix it. My voltmeter doesn't fluctuate though, and it sporadically blows the fuse for the interior guage lights... which, by the way, also run the tail lights... try explaining that one to a police officer. "No sir, I didn't know how fast I was going. I don't have any of my guage lights either!"
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28 DIddy
Damn... I'm having the same problem... I've had it in the dealership 3 times and they can't fix it. My voltmeter doesn't fluctuate though, and it sporadically blows the fuse for the interior guage lights... which, by the way, also run the tail lights... try explaining that one to a police officer. "No sir, I didn't know how fast I was going. I don't have any of my guage lights either!"
So blowing the fuse is a reoccuring event or has it just happened once?
If reoccuring, do you have an aftermarket accessories installed on your vehicle, if so what are they?
When took you vehicle to the dealer did they do anything to it?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Teching In

I don't have anything aftermarket on it currently. I took it the first time and they replaced the fuse. the fuse blew a few weeks later, maybe 3 weeks later. I took it back and they searched for a short and couldn't find anything. fuse blew again over christmas break (2 months since i had it in the last time) when I was putting in my dash kit from humount.com and cd player. I took the cd player and dash kit out and took it back to the dealership. they tried to tell me that since it wasn't fixed before i was going to have to pay for it this time, which i fought with them about cause that's BS. since they dind't fix it the previous two times, somehow that releaves them of following through with there work? I got them to look do it for free, and they found some "aftermarket" wiring in it somewhere. Don't have a clue what they found or where, but it wasn't from me. My first step was going to do the 3 wires from the battery adn see if that fixed it.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try the accessory power bolt near the fuse box under the hood. If the nut is loose then it will break the power connection everytime you hit a bump or accelerate hard and you will lose power to all electrical equipment, causing lights to flicker, loss power steering, brakes, etc.
It drove me crazy for about a week, before I figured out what the problem was.
Try it...