Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another Look at Disabling The Auto-Headlight Feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another Look at Disabling The Auto-Headlight Feature..W/New Pics

I disabled my auto-headlights feature last night in about five minutes from door open to door closed.

I searched for prior threads and there weren't very many. They were useful, though, and I proceeded to the task. I thought I would jumper the wires and be done with it.

It was amazing how easy it was to lift the dash pad, and the light sensor came out with an easy twist. But, when the little light sensor itself wouldn't give up as easily as I'd hoped, another idea popped into my head.

I went into the garage and came out with one of those piggy-back wire clamps like the one in the attached photo. It worked like a champ and I didn't cut anything or remove an parts/pieces.

Easy as opening a beer...almost...

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 04-20-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any adverse effects??
Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That's great! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. The ScotchLock connector provides the shorting between the two sensor wires without requiring any cutting and splicing. I'll have to add that to my bag of tricks.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
any adverse effects??
No, there wouldn't be any side effects because he's just using the connector instead of cutting and splicing the wires. It's basically the same modification we've always done.

BTW, the picture is of the type of connector but not of the actual location you need to put it in order to disable automatic headlights.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

WhiteBird00, you are correct. That photo was an example only of the type of connector, and I have no idea what was being connected.

I haven't had any adverse effects up to now. It was a simple installation. It took longer to find the correct pliers than it did to do it.

The only pucker-moment was when the snap clicked. It sounded like every piece of cold plastic I ever broke. I quickly realized it was only the connector snapping into place.

I kind of miss the automatic feature, but I enjoy being able to have normal control for when I don't want lights on...Like when I sit in the parking lot at work finishing my cigar before I go in.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious: Why would you want to disable that feature. I love having the headlights come on by themselves.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I would like to see people with a switch. One pole is the sensor hooked up like factory, the other is a resistor. I would be like the blackout mode on military vehicles.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

by doing it this way, do you have to pull the top dash pad off?? or can you just do it by removing the trim and radio??
Old 02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I would like to see people with a switch. One pole is the sensor hooked up like factory, the other is a resistor. I would be like the blackout mode on military vehicles.
No resistor is necessary. The sensor operates by measuring the resistance of the photocell. Zero resistance is the equivalent of full daylight so the automatic function is effectively disabled. Any additional resistance just makes the system think it's a little darker out.

Just hook up a switch so that the original circuit is complete when the switch is off and the two wires to the sensor are shorted together when the switch is turned on. That way the headlights will work normally with your switch off and the automatic function will be disabled with the switch on.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-07-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
by doing it this way, do you have to pull the top dash pad off?? or can you just do it by removing the trim and radio??
You should still pull the dash panel because the two sensor wires are the same color and are bundled in a harness that goes to the BCM. It's hard to find and reach behind the radio but quite easy to reach from under the dash panel.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I'm curious: Why would you want to disable that feature. I love having the headlights come on by themselves.
I enjoy it as well, but there are times when I would like to be able to turn them off. I sit in the parking lot at work to finish off my morning cigar and sometimes it takes a while. When it's cold out I idle the car and keep the heater on. I'm not real keen on sitting there all lit up like a Christmas tree. It is nice to simply turn them off. Since this is the first car I've ever had with that feature, I don't miss it very much now that it's gone.

Another thing I like about it is that it doesn't drain my battery or make my alternator work as hard. It's not that huge of a deal, I just like the idea that my volt meter is not as far over to the right so often now.

It's so simple to do and there's no need to fool with the radio or panel cover. Just lift up the dash pad enough to have free access to the two wires(you won't believe how easy it is, just remember to lift up about a foot on either side as well), clip on the connecter, snap it shut with pliers, and re-snap the pad. If I want to remove it, it'll take just a moment. I'm not much of a buttons & switches kind of guy so a switch to turn the feature off and on doesn't appeal to me.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

One other point - be very careful when lifting the dash panel because it has very sharp edges. Don't ask me how I know that...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I love this feature, wish my DD Cavalier had it, my 98 s-10 did and I never want to be without it, maybe I'm just not cool...lol.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess the main reason I like them is because I've been ticketed twice for driving without headlights at night because I pulled out of a well lit parking lot and forgot to turn them on.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

how did you guys pull the dash pad off? Mine has a nasty crack in it and i have been looking all over for a write up on how to get it out. Please let me know how you guys did this. thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 97camarozguy
how did you guys pull the dash pad off? Mine has a nasty crack in it and i have been looking all over for a write up on how to get it out. Please let me know how you guys did this. thanks!
We're talking about the upper dash panel - the flat one with the defroster vent in it (between the padded portion and the windshield). Remove the two A-pillar trim pieces (alongside the windshield) and then carefully pry up the panel. It is attached with a combination of clips and velcro. Be careful of the edges - they are very sharp. Don't ask me how I know that.

Removing the padded portion of the dash is a lengthy procedure that involves removing the instrument cluster, headlight switch, radio, and glovebox door. I can post step-by-step instructions if you need it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

No all i need to do is get the dash pad with the defroster vent off. How do i go about getting the a-pillar covers off? are the screwed on or do i just pry?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 97camarozguy
No all i need to do is get the dash pad with the defroster vent off. How do i go about getting the a-pillar covers off? are the screwed on or do i just pry?
That depends - if you don't have t-tops then the trim is held on by S-clips and you just gently pry it off. If you have t-tops then there are two screws at the top of the trim holding it in place. Take out the t-tops and remove the two screws from the top of the trim then gently pry it off.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

ok, i will do that. thanks for all the help!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took a couple of photos of how I did the mod and posted them in another thread. I'll post them here, too.

There wasn't a need to remove it completely -- Just enough to get the clip on the wires and get a pair of pliers in there to snap it shut.