Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

iPod Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Mounting

I just purchased a PAC for my iPod but looking for good ideas on mounting my iPod in the car.

btw its a clickwheel 20gig
Old 02-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Hey I just purchased the same thing for my ipod(except I got the wrong adapter). anywasy while i had the little radio bezel off to try and install the PAC I had an idea. I m going to try to make a metal bracket that goes under the scews that actually hold the cd player in its spot, and then it will come out in between the radio bezel and that squishy dash stuff, and then flatten out into a cradle where I can rest my ipod. Paint it black, put something soft over the metal, and you have a custom ipod holder. So essentially the ipod will sit just to right of the radio.

I might not have explained it very well, but i think it is a pretty good idea.

I have a PAC AAI GM9 for sale-$50 shipped

Last edited by max5; 02-18-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is a good position for me. I can rest my arm on the stick and my finger reaches the ipod.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

nice but i think i want to hind mine somehow in the console. where did you guys get those holders for the ipod
Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

looks good clemson dave, how did attach the mount?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by max5
looks good clemson dave, how did attach the mount?
The white bracket is from the Belkin cupholder. I folded up some sheet metal and just glued it behind the console trim piece.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Teching In

cool dave, that is exactly what I am going to try to do with mine, except on my firebird the trip around hte readio isn't as wide as yours is, and I am going to try to screw mine in, instead of glueing it in. I was thinking about trying to make another holder right next to the ipod, to put my cell phone in also.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may try to re-do mine with a black Nano. Then it won't stand out quite so much.

As a side note, keeping the ipod plugged in all the time has ruined the ipod battery. It will not last more than 30 min. now.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how dose that happen?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

the more you charge a battery the more you take away from its overall life if that makes sense. Ideally to get the maximum life out of your ipod battery or any rechargeable battery i guess, you'd want to use it till its completely dead then recharge it fully. bit of a design flaw if you ask me. they should have made it so that the ipod wont recharge while plugged in until its at least over half dead and maybe put in a manual overide for the times you know you'll be using it a lot before getting another chance to charge it.

To keep on topic however, I was thinking about mounting my ipod in the ash tray area. I dont smoke so I wont miss the ash tray and the Ipod slips in and fits snug as it is when i remove the actual ash tray itself. To get it to fit perfect though I'd have to trim away a lil bit of plastic and make some sort of cradle. The wires to the radio could easily be ran from this location and if you ever leave the ipod in the car it'll be outa sight given u shut the lid. I personally wouldnt leave my ipod in the car so I may just end up making a cradle in the center console since it would be easier and achieves the goal of not having the ipod visible, doesnt look right sticking out imo.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

dementia, I thought about putting mine there too, but try to use the touch wheel in that position before you mount it up. I thought it was uncomfortable. Also, do you have a M6? For me, it would get in the way of my arm. I agree though, there are advantages of putting it in the ash tray.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

ah well if you're planning on using the touchwheel it might be a pain. I was hoping to get myself one of those adapters that lets me use the factory radio controls to control the ipod. This way the only time I'd need to use the actual ipod controls would be to change the playlists perhaps. Not sure really what this piece is capable of. In the ash tray the way I was going to mount it, it would be physically impossible to use the touchwheel. I slid mine in angled so basically all you see is the screen. I'm still not sure if i'll go through with this since i dont have the adapter yet and I'm not sure whats displayed when i'm cycling through the songs via radio controls. If it lights up the screen and shows whats playing I'm definitely going to put forth an effort in making the ash tray mount. If it just shows a screen (similar to the ALPINE screen it shows when plugged into my friends car) them I'm just going to save myself the time/trouble and mount it in the center console.

I do have an m6 and I tried driving around with the ash tray lid opened to see how i'd like it. It wasnt too bad. The lid sticks up maybe a 1/4 inch when opened and occassionally it'll get in the way but it wasnt bad at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool, post a pic when you are done with it!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow that looks pretty slick I also like how you installed your V-1 display in between the camaro badge and the fog light switch.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a black Nano for running, but now I think it would look better in the car than the white ipod.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dementia
To keep on topic however, I was thinking about mounting my ipod in the ash tray area.
I had my sirius radio installed there for about a month .. I hated it .. impossible to look at it and keep your eyes on the road. I have since monted it in the pocket that is beside the lighter plug.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Teching In

I have my 40 gig ipod in the glove box in a protective belt case. I have the new Pioneer 6800MP which moves the ipod wheel control to the head unit and I also have the pioneer specific wired PAC unit which allows me to use use the steering wheel controls to control the ipod (via pioneer head).

Not to start an off topic flame war but newer batteries don't need to be drained completely before being recharged, that was the old kind we used to run in RC cars back in the 80's. Constant charging though can damage batteries but in my case the ipod stays either in the car or hooked to my home reciever / charging bay it is never on battery.