Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Grille vibrates... how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Grille vibrates... how to fix?

Hi,

I have managed to create a slight crack in my Camaro's front drivers side door speaker grille. Now if there is any base at all really, the grille produces a bad vibration sound. Is it possible to replace these... if so how (Do I need to remove the door card etc)?

Thanks,
UK-CamaroSS
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

The one's on my WS6 just pop right out. Their are about 4 clips holding the grill on so just pry the outside of the grill toward the center of the speaker and in should pop right out, at least it does on my car. You'll see the clips I'm talking about when you start prying it inwards.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine rattles a little too, it stops when you put pressure on it. I'm going to put one sided sticky foam insulation behind mine one of these days. I'm thinking the door panel needs to come off - one of the window motor replacement articles will show you how to remove the panel. Try http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 06-01-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The door speaker grill is apart of the door panel itself and cannot be removed seperately (well, you probably could break it off, but good luck getting it back together. lol). Applying foam weather stripping, as 2001NBMZ28 suggests, is probably your best bet to solve it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

actually i can pry mine right out and psuh them back in... i got the same bass problem as you do. i guess any sort of weather stripping or something inside it for insulation should technically resolve your problem
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

this is with the grille off... to give you an idea ive circled where the clips are in red. just be gentle and hopefully you wont break it

Attached Thumbnails Speaker Grille vibrates... how to fix?-clips.jpg  
Old 06-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ced
this is with the grille off... to give you an idea ive circled where the clips are in red. just be gentle and hopefully you wont break it

Yep those are where the clips are but mine were plastic welded so removing the grill actualy introduced a vibration (due to breaking the plastic weld). They aren't meant to come off on a 99 anyway.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Launching!

I've had both an LT1 set up (93-97) and a LS1 set up (98-02). The LT1's come out they are just clips. On the LS1's they are part of the door, and to remove them they will break and rattle.

On my LT1 I put a small piece of construction paper and glued it to the speaker grill cover itself. If you trim it to a small rectangle and wrap it around the clip you wont even see it. That builds up the clip and got rid of vibrations/rattles.

Quick Reply: Speaker Grille vibrates... how to fix?