Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried modifying this mod by adding Bluetooth?

I haven’t done this yet, just an idea. It should be a great idea for those that don’t use their CD player any more.

Instead of installing the 5-pin jack in the HU, console or other location, use some type of 12v Bluetooth receiver similar to (https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/b...gaAqxcEALw_wcB

Hook this up to power, plug it into the jack and tuck it all out of site under the dash and just use Bluetooth from your smart phone or other Bluetooth device.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zuburg
Instead of installing the 5-pin jack in the HU, console or other location, use some type of 12v Bluetooth receiver
Post Apocalyptic Inventor on YouTube has some videos on adding Bluetooth and AUX-In to Car Radios and Home Radios.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Help with straight AM/FM only wiring

I know this is an old thread but it’s the closest I e found to some real help. I have a factory AM/FM only radio out of my 2002 S-10 (yeah, I know I don’t belong here, but humor me?) and I’m wanting to add the input in like this, but my cue hit board is drastically different than one that had a tape or CD player inside it. The only help I’m looking for is finding the raw audio input from the tuner into the amp (which is what you were doing with the wires from the CD player).... I can’t fjnd any schematics or diagrams or anything to help me track down where to find this part of the circuit.

Now, please don’t hate on me for doing this - my S-10 is a cherry stock 2002 that I drove off the lot myself in Nov 2001, and it still only has 61,000 miles on it. No, it’s not worth anything to anyone but me, but it’s mine and I want this added in. Please help???

Jay
Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Launching!

It will be a bit trickier to tap into the audio internally on a radio only unit, it's likely traces on the board. With a CD player (or cassette player) is much easier since it generally has a separate module connected to the main board via a ribbon cable, so you know the audio is coming over some of those wires, and it's fairly easy to trace and find.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Quick google search and fast-forwarding through this video to the 4:06 mark, showed me a delco board with the CD player:
(I didn't actually watch the whole video just skipped ahead to see inside)
Comparing the boards, it looks like there is a connector pad on yours that on the CD version goes to the CD player so the traces may be there, but I don't know how to have the radio switch to them since it doesn't have a CD or AUX button., unless the pad for it is on the board but the button is just missing from the face.

This video shows how to add line-in to a radio with cassette deck. Its not a delco, but the info there may help since he explains the layout of the board and he has other videos adding line-in and bluetooth to other radios as well (even home stereos). Many of the other videos are in my other post above.
Although your radio doesn't have a cassette deck, the info there about board layout may help you find where the output of the receiver goes into the pre-amp. I don't know if tapping there will work but you can try. However, that will probably mean cutting traces which is delicate.

The hot glue blobs also make things more difficult to read and access. If you can read the names/codes on the chips, you can google them to get their pinouts.

I found the Cassette and CD versions of that delco (or at least it looks like it) on ebay. Maybe you can get one of them and modify it to save your current one.

Last edited by VIP1; 01-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So I tried to do this. Saw that I have the ribbon connection. Not separate wires. Decided to just put it back together and now I only have a clock. The radio won't do anything else.

Last edited by autogeek23; 03-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Check the RADIO fuse (#17 - 15A). The radio is powered by three circuits... the IP DIMMER fuse provides the illumination with the dash lights, the PWR ACCY fuse provides battery power to maintain the clock, CD eject, and station memory, and the RADIO fuse powers all other functions.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check the RADIO fuse (#17 - 15A). The radio is powered by three circuits... the IP DIMMER fuse provides the illumination with the dash lights, the PWR ACCY fuse provides battery power to maintain the clock, CD eject, and station memory, and the RADIO fuse powers all other functions.
#17 fuse looks good to me. No dark spots. But I am now going to check all the fuses.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Never rely on a visual inspection of a fuse... it can be blown and still appear normal (especially old fuses). Always use a fuse tester, multimeter, or replace with a known good fuse. There is no point checking other fuses unless you are experiencing some other electrical problem - the RADIO fuse is the only one which could produce the symptoms you describe.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend figured it out. The faceplate had these little pins that weren't in.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello all,

When I add an aux input to my Delco I would like to set it up where either you do not have to insert a CD (preferable) or the CD will not spit while in use. I found this older thread where a guy was able to do it to different model but I’m not quite sure how he did it. I’d like to know how the radio knows when a CD is installed and then replicate that signal with a switch or isolate the wire that is used to deliver the signal.

Also, for a radio that does not have a slave cd/tape player or a cd changer, what purpose does the aux button serve? If the button exists could this be used to power the aux input without having to splice into the audio wires for the internal CD player?

My unit is a 1997 Delco (Lumina) with internal CD player and dual circuit boards.

The referenced thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...st-method.html

Thank you,
Brandon

Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Vetteman61
Hello all,
When I add an aux input to my Delco I would like to set it up where either you do not have to insert a CD (preferable) or the CD will not spit while in use. I found this older thread where a guy was able to do it to different model but I’m not quite sure how he did it. I’d like to know how the radio knows when a CD is installed and then replicate that signal with a switch or isolate the wire that is used to deliver the signal.
None of the existing modifications for auxiliary input will work without a CD inserted. The Novak mod described in this thread requires the CD to be active all the time the auxiliary is in use. The mod in the other thread requires the CD only to initialize the system at each startup but then doesn't keep it running when switched to auxiliary. The only functional difference is the amount of wear possible for the CD player... not something that should be a huge concern. Many people never listen to radio and their 20-year-old CD players are still working.

Since the original poster of that second mod hasn't been back since 2014, you may have to do some bench testing to determine which wire between the internal CD player and the main board is used to signal when a CD is inserted and playing. Use a multimeter to determine what each wire does when a CD is playing and when it isn't. You should be able to find a wire that does something different between the two conditions (e.g. has power when CD in use and no power when not in use). That would be the wire that corresponds to where he put the switch.

Another option might be to contact 1factoryradio2 on ebay - they sell a variety of head units with the auxiliary port already installed.

Originally Posted by Vetteman61
Also, for a radio that does not have a slave cd/tape player or a cd changer, what purpose does the aux button serve? If the button exists could this be used to power the aux input without having to splice into the audio wires for the internal CD player?
The AUX button is not a separate button... it's actually a single CD/AUX button. One press will switch from radio to the internal CD player. If equipped with an external CD changer, a second press of the same button will switch to the changer, otherwise it will switch back to radio. So the answer is no... it can't be used to switch to an auxiliary input by itself.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Hi all! Thanks for this great post. I've been reading quite some pages already and I think it's fair to say that if the CD player doesn't work, there's no option for me, right?
My unit has some sort of issue since a few months ago where the CD player would not play or even push the CD out. I've looked inside, used some cleaner but... no difference at all. I keep getting ERR 23 on the screen.

I've been wanting to have a direct connection to the unit(I'm using one of those FM emitters on the phone which is quite bad quality wise) for a while but I don't get to make it work without the CD playing... Any tip or should I already start looking into a new unit?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2021, 08:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

As listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky, the first thing to try for an error ERR 23 is to disconnect the battery for several minutes to reset the head unit. If that doesn't work then the head unit probably needs repair or replacement.

You should try a wired FM modulator instead of the wireless type. You will get much better sound... in fact the sound will be as good as FM is capable of producing. The wired modulator gets plugged into your antenna cable providing as strong a signal as possible. Search Amazon or other online sources for "wired FM modulator"... there's a good one for $25 that includes a switch to allow selection of the auxiliary input or normal FM (the switch prevents interference if you have a local station on the same frequency as the modulator). Make sure you get a stereo one. You'll probably also need an antenna adapter since GM uses a much smaller version of the Motorola antenna plug than is standard... you can pick up one of those at any auto parts store or even Walmart.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
As listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky, the first thing to try for an error ERR 23 is to disconnect the battery for several minutes to reset the head unit. If that doesn't work then the head unit probably needs repair or replacement.

You should try a wired FM modulator instead of the wireless type. You will get much better sound... in fact the sound will be as good as FM is capable of producing. The wired modulator gets plugged into your antenna cable providing as strong a signal as possible. Search Amazon or other online sources for "wired FM modulator"... there's a good one for $25 that includes a switch to allow selection of the auxiliary input or normal FM (the switch prevents interference if you have a local station on the same frequency as the modulator). Make sure you get a stereo one. You'll probably also need an antenna adapter since GM uses a much smaller version of the Motorola antenna plug than is standard... you can pick up one of those at any auto parts store or even Walmart.
Is there not a way to accomplish this with BlueTooth yet?
Old 10-28-2021, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This might be an option.

Looks like a solid product, except it's very basic (but does have bluetooth) and I do NOT think it works with steering wheel controls.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...33901013139592
Old 10-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by drb930
Is there not a way to accomplish this with BlueTooth yet?
No, because the factory head unit doesn't support Bluetooth and most of the adapters that can be used to add Bluetooth are long discontinued because there's no demand for upgrading 20-year-old stereos. Even the FM adapter I suggested is leftover Radio Shack stock so I wouldn't wait too long if you're thinking of getting one. Otherwise, you would be better off installing an aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth built-in. A nice, basic double DIN head unit can be had for about $125 (Pioneer) or even less if you don't mind going with cheap off-brands like Boss or Pyle.

The following users liked this post:
k3000 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You can get Bluetooth to 1/8" adapter and modify it to fit just like the instructions above. They are still for sale (I've seen them). One of the videos I posted above also shows how to do it.
k3000 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP1
You can get Bluetooth to 1/8" adapter and modify it to fit just like the instructions above. They are still for sale (I've seen them). One of the videos I posted above also shows how to do it.
That would be good in most cases but he's already said that his CD player is malfunctioning so the mod doesn't work (needs a working CD player to function). That seriously limits the options with a factory head unit. The adapters I was referring to are the ones that plug into the remote CD changer port like the USA-SPEC but they're pretty hard to find these days.
k3000 (04-19-2022)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Oh. Right. Forgot.

OEM Radios with CD are listed on ebay for random prices.

Otherwise, there are plenty of aftermarket options.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-29-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter