Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery relocation ground wire??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Battery relocation ground wire??

I did a battery relocation a few months ago and it seems to work well for me. I was talking to one of the local speed shops and he told me that I really need to run a ground wire from the trunk back to the front and ground it to the engine. He said that the steel body is not enough of a ground. He said that if the battery is not grounded enough that it will cause several issues.

I am wondering now if this is an issue for me. Do we really need to run a ground all the way to the front of the car??
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wtf?!

dude, that guy is full of sh*t!! i'm a mobile install tech and we've never had any problems with grounding any of the amps or even batteries to the chassis. it's all the same GROUND!!! you aren't gonna have ANY issues.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
dude, that guy is full of sh*t!! i'm a mobile install tech and we've never had any problems with grounding any of the amps or even batteries to the chassis. it's all the same GROUND!!! you aren't gonna have ANY issues.
Agreed! find a secure place to attach the ground to and you will be fine!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with the other two posts. That guy at that local shop is a moron. Honestly, if it was me, I would find a new shop to go to.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with you on this.....................I don't know his reasoning, but I do know he is very good at what he does. He has a 1st place car running drag radial in NMRA, 2nd place Nostalgia class(NMCA) and a 1st place winner in mean street(NMCA). He can make a car pull 1.30 60's and only pull the tires a few inches off the ground.

All of that being said, I don't know his reasoning for running the ground wire back up front.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe his reasoning is copper is a better conductor than steel, so a copper ground wire would in essence be a better direct ground than the chassis. Thing is, it really shouldn't make a big difference in a car.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe he does this on the race cars.............some have two batteries and may need a better ground.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he knows engines, and not so much electrical. No offense, but there are more car guys that don't know crap about electrical stuff than do, I think.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

No offense taken at all...

He knows chasis and engines more than he knows electrical, but he is not incompetant when it comes to the electrical stuff. He installs a lot of the Big Stuff 3 systems and does a lot of really nice Nitrous systems. He has to wire all of the race cars from scratch. I am sure he doesn't know everything, but he knows enough to build a couple Champ race cars.

thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i drilled a whole and taped into the rear frame section. Worked fine for me.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

i have nhra legal setup for a rear mount battery in my vehicle. my battery is grounded inside the rear fender. works great. make sure you have thick wire. i have nothing smaller than 2 gauge in mine (2 gauge starter to ford solenoid, 1/0 solenoid to cut off switch, 1/0 alternator to cut off switch, 3/0 switch to battery, 1/0 ground cable))
Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

I put the ground on the rear frame also..........it has worked good for me. I am running a 100 amp Rockford fosgate breaker. My ground is a little smaller than my power cable, I think I will get a bigger ground cable and call it done.

thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Grounding to the chasis in the back will work but will cause a higher current draw during starting becasue of the increased resistance seen across the whole chasis. Ground for the starter is returned through the engine block, hence the factory ground on the right side of the block close to the starter. Best installation it to provide a return path as close to the starter as possible i.e. the factory location. The higher draw could cause the battery to struggle as it weakens. Sounds like the increased draw isn't a real issue with others.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aerotest
Grounding to the chasis in the back will work but will cause a higher current draw during starting becasue of the increased resistance seen across the whole chasis. Ground for the starter is returned through the engine block, hence the factory ground on the right side of the block close to the starter. Best installation it to provide a return path as close to the starter as possible i.e. the factory location. The higher draw could cause the battery to struggle as it weakens. Sounds like the increased draw isn't a real issue with others.
i agree with this gentlemen,as i was told the same thing from a local tuner
Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

This statement is 100% correct. I also spoke to my local tuner which stated the exact same thing. I was having issues after battery relocation as the engine cranked slowly on startup. I ended up runing a 2 guage wire from my engine to the negative side of the battery and it works great now!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Makes alot of sense. I guess the main point it it isn't necessary but it wouldn't hurt. I bet if you could measure the resistance it would show to be atleast slightly worth it.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

I just had an interesting experience with a battery relocation. The above theory should be true and most likely is true. However, I just did a battery relocation where I had a 2 gauge stranded copper ground wire running from the battery to a ground on the bellhousing. The car wouldnt even start.

I began troubleshooting and determined that the problem was the ground, my power wire was functioning perfectly. So, I started experimenting with different places to ground my battery... all on or near the block and all as near the starter as possible. I actually grounded to the starter bolt itself at one point. None of these locations helped much. Getting closer to the starter was better, but the car still sputtered and struggled.

Needless to say I was frusterated as ****... I was sitting there thinking and saw an old factory ground cable from another build lying around. On impulse, I ran this cable from the battery to a place on the frame under the bumper of the car, sanded a bolt off, slapped it on and boom... the car fired as good as it did before I did the relocation.... wierd. I am wondering if the distance in the run from the battery to the starter or block was resulting in some kind of loss that was removed when I just went a few feet to the frame????

Quick Reply: Battery relocation ground wire??