Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trip goes out when headlights on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trip goes out when headlights on?

Just bought my g/f a 1998 Camaro, so now we got best of 4th gen worlds. Well it has to pass safety soon, and I found something odd that I would hope someone here might be familiar with.

I have a 1999 Trans Am and dont have fixed headlights so I cant compare but, when her car is started, the headlights are already turned on, not sure if that is normal. Also, the main concern is, when you turn on the headlight switch on the left of the dash there is no backlit dash, so at night I cannot see the guages, AND the digital trip meter dissapears.

I am hoping this is something common that someone else may have dealt with before.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im not sure about the problems but all camaros have daytime running lights. the fact that the lights on the dash dont work when you turn the switch could mean that the fuse for the dimmer is blown. i drove on a long road trip overnight once with the dimmer set to have the dash dark and when i reached over to adjust the light to see my speed the little wheel was really really hot.

check the fuse box on the drives side. a detailed description of the fuse layout should be in your owners manual
Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Ya, I'll have a look at the fuses on monday when Im off, just the only part that concerned me and makes me believe it wouldnt be a fuse, is the fact that when you turn the headlight switch on to see the dash, the digital odometer goes out, and even if you turn the headlight switch back off, the digital odometer wont return until the car has been turned off.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
but all camaros have daytime running lights.
All 4th generation f-bodies have 'daytime running lights' meaning the side lamps glow. His original post is talking about the headlights which are quite seperate. US models - Canadian builds would be different.

With the headlight switch in the OFF position, the headlights should not be on when the car is first started up.

It sounds like a short to me, a cross connection or short is probably blowing the fuse for the dash, and activating the headlights when they are not supposed to be.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All Camaros also have automatic headlights. However, they shouldn't go on after starting the car (even in the dark) until after the parking brake is released. If the daylight sensor on the dash had been disconnected it would think that it was dark out all the time so the automatic headlights would be on all the time.

Automatic headlights would cause the odometer to dim but not go out completely unless you have the dimmer turned down all the way. Sounds like you may have a problem with the dimmer switch.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
All 4th generation f-bodies have 'daytime running lights' meaning the side lamps glow. His original post is talking about the headlights which are quite seperate. US models - Canadian builds would be different.

With the headlight switch in the OFF position, the headlights should not be on when the car is first started up.

It sounds like a short to me, a cross connection or short is probably blowing the fuse for the dash, and activating the headlights when they are not supposed to be.

Here's the tricky part, yes I am in Canada, but I actually bought the car in the US and imported it into Canada, so technically its a US car.

(altho all of them are really Canadian being that they were all built here)

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, Im having a look at it today
Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are very few differences between US and Canadian models - especially in Camaros. Beyond the obvious difference in gauge markings (what is a kilopascal anyway?) the most noticeable difference is that Canadian Firebirds have automatic headlights but US ones don't. Both US and Canadian Camaros have automatic headlights.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Ya, I'll have a look at the fuses on monday when Im off, just the only part that concerned me and makes me believe it wouldnt be a fuse, is the fact that when you turn the headlight switch on to see the dash, the digital odometer goes out, and even if you turn the headlight switch back off, the digital odometer wont return until the car has been turned off.
yeah when you scroll the dimmer all the way down the odometer also turns off.

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk

oops yeah forgot to put that in. all camaros have running lighs that automatically turn on when its dark out, turn signal lights always stay lit unless car is started with the ebrake on then they come on when you turn off the ebrake
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I noticed a few things when looking at the fuses this week. All fuses were ok, and now when the headlights are turned on, then turned back off, the odometer will re appear. Still isnt great tho, because when the headlights are turned out, that means its dark out, and when its dark out, you might wanna be able to see the odometer if you were traveling. Also, there is no backlight, I messed with the dimmer, it doesnt change anything, except that when you click the dimmer fully, it does turn the interior lights on. So possibly either I have a bad dimmer, or my bulb behind the dash is burnt?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are numerous bulbs in the dash that are connected to the dimmer. It's doubtful that all of them burned out. Do the tail lights work when the headlights are on? If not then the problem is likely your TAIL LPS fuse. If the tail lights work then the problem is probably your IP DIMMER fuse. Never rely on a visual inspection of fuses - always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse because fuses can look fine even though they're blown.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Ya, the tail lights work good when the headlights are on. Ya, I'll test out the fuses with a meter, but Im pretty sure theyre all fine. Im thinking its the dimmer switch itself. I suppose I could remove mine from the T/A and put it into her Camaro, and we'd know forsure!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it could be the dimmer switch. But it's always better to check the simple stuff first before getting into testing and replacing parts. The dimmer switch is a simple rheostat with nothing much that's likely to fail.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Well I did notice that there was a much larger fuse in the IP DIMMER location than is required, so its possible the variable resistor of the dimmer switch gave out before this large fuse.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's interesting. Maybe there is a problem that the previous owner tried to solve by putting in a larger fuse. The fuse should only be 5 amp.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's interesting. Maybe there is a problem that the previous owner tried to solve by putting in a larger fuse. The fuse should only be 5 amp.
Haha ya, and I believe when I looked it was either a 25 or 30.

It could of been in relation to the previous stereo system installed, might of piggy backed off some of the wiring for the aftermark system/deck and was blowing the small fuses.

There's only an aftermarket headunit left in it, no speakers etc, all was removed. But there is wiring for an amp and subs in the trunk etc.