Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Got my new to me car finally and have speaker questions a plenty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my new to me car finally and have speaker questions a plenty!

Finally home with the new ride after 1000 mile flight and 1000 mile drive. To the questions first!
On the ride home I could hear the speaker on the driver's side sail making some pop noises. I pulled off the cover and everything looked okay. It is kind of weird because the noise comes at certain power levels but not others. When I feel it with my hand it is like the cone is hitting on the dust cover felt at certain times. Is she about to blow or what? Kind of annoying at times so I have thought about trying to cut the dust cover off. The other side doesn't do it.
Do the front tweeters put out much? I tried to cover the mid in the door and it SEEMED like something was coming out of them but they aren't detailed or putting out much highs if they are. Can anyone verify if I should hear cymbles like crazy from em? My CDT tweets in my other car hit hard.
I pulled the covers off the rear hatch speakers and they said Kappa. It was like a 3" mid and maybe .5" tweet. It didn't look like a plate setup but I need to look again. Is this factory? It was playing okay.
So barring the tweets maybe not playing I don't think I have any blown speakers yet

Next post is the tech stuff I need.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

So I want to gear up and start looking for replacements that work with the factory Monsoon amp/system. Anyone have tech/specs for these questions:

- Door tweets Ohm rating, frequency range, size and power being supplied by the Monsoon system? Does it use a X-over? I have one DRT-25 CDT tweet and can buy another to swap the factory ones out if they will work with the Monsoon.

- Sail panel mids Ohm rating, frequency range, size and power being supplied by the Monsoon system? I know reading here Kicker makes one, Bazooka and eD. Those are woofers but is the factory piece a woofer? It sounds like it is playing a little more up in the range. Which of those have had the best user reviews? I have a pair of CDT M-6's or Tang Band 6.5" subs I could put in if they work with the Monsoon.

- Probably leave the door speakers alone since they don't sound too bad. But just to know what Ohm rating, frequency range, size and power being supplied by the Monsoon system? Maybe the CDT or Tang Bands are a better fit there if the factory pieces go. I would like to know so I can buy back-up pieces.

- The hatch speakers I will probably just leave unless someone knows a good replacement in that area. Once again Ohm rating, frequency range, size and power being supplied by the Monsoon system?

Someone has to know what the Monsoon/HU is sending to each one and speaker specs. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Most of your questions are answered in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. Nobody really knows the power distribution to the eight channels of the Monsoon amp but 50W to the sail panels and 30W to the doors is a reasonable guess.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

I read through that one before but don't recall seeing near exact OD's or mounting depths. Anyone know how much space at the rear we have to work with in the doors and sails? I was told their is no way I could fit an M-6 in my Civics door and it clear but my audio guy found an adapter that did the trick and they just clear the glass in the doors by 1/8". Can't go off Crutchfield spec's as we know they are wrong!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

Sounds like your stockers are on their way out. The weak foam surround can only hold the cone in place for so long before it allows movement to the point where the voice coils will touch. Eventually the popping will cease and nothing will come out.
CDT M-6's fit in the sails without any mods as far as depth. Power would be an issue to an extent as they have a sensitivity rating of 88.1dB. The Monsoon amp will not be strong enough to push them to their potential but they will work. The Tang Band is closer in power range but runs into the same efficiency problem at 83dB. Both of those would benefit from aftermarket power to get their full potential.
The eD and Bazooka are DVC so they would work better and use the Monsoon amp to potential. I have just found out that the Bazooka will fit without a spacer as well so it is even easier to install.
The Kicker is SVC as well and shallow depth so to be honest this would be my last consideration. It would work better in the Camaro than the Firebird.
If you need a set of tweeters I do have some TW-19 silk imaging tweeters available for $49.00 with the LP-1 level controller. It is an Image enhancement kit from CDT. Come with all the mounting gear as well. Here's somemore info on it:
http://www.cdtaudio.com/image_enhancement_08.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

I was messing around with stuff today and the driver's side sail speaker is for sure acting up. I want to get replacments ASAP so what currently plays the best in there?

I also ripped out the plastic in the back hatch area and those Kappas look wired in as an add on. Are they any good?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I would say your best bet for sound quality, fit, and using the factory wiring is the Bazooka sub. The eD subs require a spacer and are currently on backorder.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Has anyone heard them both play?

Kee carries the Bazookas or can they be bought on E-Bay?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Just sent you a PM!