Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How much HP to beat a 800rwhp 03 cobra?I know!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much HP to beat a 800rwhp 03 cobra?I know!!

LMAO!!!!!!! Yup I have the answer to this one if you're interested. It takes 450rwhp C5 M6 FRC corvette thats what!!!!!!! All races on closed track!

At a local get together some new guys came out with some really nice cars! 06 black EVO, 98-00 Z28 w/100shot, 03 cobra with a 5.0cammer motor, twin T61 turbos, custom intake, stock gears, tubular kmember, dual cutouts, running C12 octane gas with boost 19lbs, Hoosier drag radials 17's. Plus a bazillion other mods. 3700lbs car
VS. My 450rwhp C5 FRC 6spd, Heads,cam,intake,4.10s with ET streets and skinnies. 3100lbs car
Basically this thread will show its not always who makes more power but a complete combination of, traction,driving,weight,power and where in the power band it makes that power.
The races:
1st race.
50mph roll 2nd gear both cars. We do the tap and go start with loud cars. (tap the gas hard leave off and you both take off at the same time hopefully). I tap the gas off then on and we're off, he delays on the hit but the instant torque vs the turbos comes to play i'm out by almost a car lenght already. I hit 3rd gear and I keep hearing those turbos screaming out the passenger window and I see the front end coming. I hit 4th as does he and I see him pull right up beside me almost ahead but we had to slow down... only got to about 105-110mph on that one. He would've pull right by me and kept going if we could've taken this one further.
2nd race
50mph roll I tap and go and pull nicely and nail a very clean 3rd gear and yup he missed 3rd its over
3rd race we get going at speed tap-GO and we're off I pull atleast a car on the hit again and hit a nice 3rd and still ahead as he hits 4th we start going around a very slight curve on the back stretch and his *** end kicks out around 110-115mph. Yes the car starts spinning and i was over 2 cars ahead on this one.

Now I do know that this car with plenty of traction and a longer run would absolutely anihilate my car. My prediction before the race was i would get out a car and he would make it even by top of 3rd and pull 2 cars in 4th. Well that didnt happen lucky me GOT IT ALL ON VIDEO TOO! DVD player though sorry guys. I told the guy turn down the boost, run the tires lower psi and heat them really well before we go out. I think this will give him a better chance. The car is just making to much power. At first when this all came about i told the guy dead stop or 1st gear roll praying on his traction limitations. If we get to teh point where he's walking all over me i'll throw that back in there.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800 hp cobra? you beat it? GOOD KILL! Good point in on the hp craze, It truly is how you put it down. But on a long run he would catch you but thats another race.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I will be racing a FRC vette M6 vette that makes 400rwhp soon....looks like I am going to have my hands full. Nice kill bye the way you are so right its all in the driver gear and tire, I beat so many people in my Mach it was a blast. 550rwtq wqith 4:10's and Mickeys suprised a lot of people!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Great win If you can't hook all that HP is useless , You seem like a straight forward guy. Your not one of those that start talkin crap your car was on his wasn't . GREAT KILL OP PROPS MAN
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you guys, definitely not a **** talker. You have to choose your races and make them to your cars best. He wanted a 60mph 3rd gear roll. That would've gave me about a 4-5 car length loss easy. I just talked up "you dont want to lose to a car with 444rwhp do you?". I played on the hopes of him not getting traction. That kinda power is just rediculous on the street. Makes no sense to me honestly. Sure its gotta be fun and all but what would this guy have done if I really did have nitrous like he thought? Hell a 100shot and I would have been GONE! I'm pretty easy going about racing though with most. I offered instantly to race again with him with less power and let him do the tap to help spool the turbo's. You factor in a 600lbs weight difference, spool time for turbos, traction, and he didnt sound like he was a lightning shifter aswell. Many know if you dont shift well on a charged car it hurts it badly in the MPH category especially. I'll post my results of next sundays events if weather permits and he agree's to run less power and heat the tires.

corysmach1-good luck on the race with the 400rwhp FRC. Thats going to be a drivers race. Plus it will depend on your tune. A Johnny lightning tuned 03 cobra with 465rwhp stays within 2-3 cars of my car. However my buddies car with 590rwhp KB cobra the torque comes on later and doesnt hang as long we are dead even with him pulling a half a car sometimes. Also another buddy within 1-1.5cars with a 498rwhp Johnny lightning tuned cobra. From 2nd gear kick downs. The eaton charger kicks some serious *** on take off. Instant torque makes a big difference. Getting that momentum going faster is a big help.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice kill. Sounds like the cobra guy just wants to say he has 800hp and can't even use it
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zturd
Thank you guys, definitely not a **** talker. You have to choose your races and make them to your cars best. He wanted a 60mph 3rd gear roll. That would've gave me about a 4-5 car length loss easy. I just talked up "you dont want to lose to a car with 444rwhp do you?". I played on the hopes of him not getting traction. That kinda power is just rediculous on the street. Makes no sense to me honestly. Sure its gotta be fun and all but what would this guy have done if I really did have nitrous like he thought? Hell a 100shot and I would have been GONE! I'm pretty easy going about racing though with most. I offered instantly to race again with him with less power and let him do the tap to help spool the turbo's. You factor in a 600lbs weight difference, spool time for turbos, traction, and he didnt sound like he was a lightning shifter aswell. Many know if you dont shift well on a charged car it hurts it badly in the MPH category especially. I'll post my results of next sundays events if weather permits and he agree's to run less power and heat the tires.

corysmach1-good luck on the race with the 400rwhp FRC. Thats going to be a drivers race. Plus it will depend on your tune. A Johnny lightning tuned 03 cobra with 465rwhp stays within 2-3 cars of my car. However my buddies car with 590rwhp KB cobra the torque comes on later and doesnt hang as long we are dead even with him pulling a half a car sometimes. Also another buddy within 1-1.5cars with a 498rwhp Johnny lightning tuned cobra. From 2nd gear kick downs. The eaton charger kicks some serious *** on take off. Instant torque makes a big difference. Getting that momentum going faster is a big help.

Thanks man you are so right you have to pick where your car will shine. What kinda rolls did you do with those Cobras?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

With the cobras I had to get them close to 45+mph to reduce the hit of the eaton versus my bigger cam. If i got below 40mph in 2nd gear he would shoot out and i'd have to reverse his pull which is really hard.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ummm......good kill? I guess
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kills, man. There are plenty of big HP cars out there with no traction, no driver mod, and big mouths. Those are the ones I like to see lose.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

stopsign32v i think you're biased for some reason Hows that car run that its eating Corvettes for dinner? Where do you live? Near PA?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Teching In

With the cobras I had to get them close to 45+mph to reduce the hit of the eaton versus my bigger cam. If i got below 40mph in 2nd gear he would shoot out and i'd have to reverse his pull which is really hard.
It is extremely hard to catch anyone that gets the jump. My car runs real good from anything in 1st gear. And in 2nd 40 is weak spot but 50 is strong.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

huh? So an eaton has a better power band than a KB? You lost me on that one.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Ummm......good kill? I guess
+1
Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

stopsign32v i think you're biased for some reason Hows that car run that its eating Corvettes for dinner? Where do you live? Near PA?
I'm shaking in me boots
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good kill and good job convinving him to run your race.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Nice runs.

With traction and a longer race (up to 120-130mph) you would have been pulled hard.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice kills, man. There are plenty of big HP cars out there with no traction, no driver mod, and big mouths. Those are the ones I like to see lose.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Nice kills buddy
peace
Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

126 trap vs 140 trap (traction + skill) = good kill.

I would hope he has learned from this.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponygt65
huh? So an eaton has a better power band than a KB? You lost me on that one.

+1
As you read that it says that "TUNE" plays a big part. The tune on different cars from different tuners shows a different torque curve. Johnny Lightning appears to get a spike of torque earlier and holds longer with his tunes. So sure a Eaton can have a better power band then a poorly tuned KB. TUNE TUNE TUNE and set up setup SETUP!

BigD 275-I said the same but we did make the last pull to 120mph but he started to spin in 4th. I agree that thing will blow by me with traction and less turbo lag.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

stopsign32v hows your car run in the 1/4? 700rwhp puts you where? Not being a dick just curious.