Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt-on ls1 vs evo

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steiner
Stick to domestics. You've clearly got no idea what you're talking about.
Everything I stated in that post was correct.

Show me a stock Evo that can launch in full boost. Can't and won't happen, you are clearly a moron. Stop wasting space on this site.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Only 05-06's had this feature. In stock form, you're better off unplugging the clutch switch and just free revving it IMO.

I built around 6-7psi stock with the stationary limiter.
Excuse my ignorance, what is a stationary limiter? And is 6-7 psi enough for a good launch? No real experience with evo's.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

Show me a stock Evo that can launch in full boost. Can't and won't happen, you are clearly a moron. Stop wasting space on this site.
Show me any stock boosted car that can launch in full boost. Show me a stock boosted car that you would actually WANT to launch in full boost.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

.... For hating imports you spend an awful lot of time talking about them. You dont need/want full boost... Do people spray 300 pills of the line? And a two step has nothing to do with a bad driver. Drivers cant use the "force" to make turbos spool... you kinda have to use exhaust.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Excuse my ignorance, what is a stationary limiter? And is 6-7 psi enough for a good launch? No real experience with evo's.
Stationary limiter is just basically a preset rev limiter when you're stopped. It's a tad different than a 2step. With the stock limiter and 6-7psi I could only pull 1.8 60fts. After I modified the car a bit, that was plenty but when I was stock it wasn't. I disabled the limiter and just free revved it and was able to pull the best of a 1.69 60ft. Too bad at that point I had already modded the car or else I think it would have seen 12's stock.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Show me any stock boosted car that can launch in full boost. Show me a stock boosted car that you would actually WANT to launch in full boost.
There are no stock cars that can launch in full boost. Which was exactly my point, genius.

When you try and launch and AWD 4 cylinder quickly, the result is usually the motor bogging down and the cluch frying. The motor doesn't have enough power (no boost, so probably somewhere around 100HP) and the wheels can't spin, so thats the net result.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
.... For hating imports you spend an awful lot of time talking about them. You dont need/want full boost... Do people spray 300 pills of the line? And a two step has nothing to do with a bad driver. Drivers cant use the "force" to make turbos spool... you kinda have to use exhaust.
We're on the LS1 Tech, not some import forum, if other people weren't talking about them I wouldn't be either.

The majority of Evo/STI drivers I see try and launch their cars end up bogging them down or frying the clutch, or both. When you launch one of those cars without the motor having any boost, you're working with somewhere around 100ft/lbs of torque, trying to move 3400lbs from a dead stop without any available wheelspin. Hence the result is the motor bogs down, and then slowly starts to build boost as it accelerates. Its not that hard of a concept, its pretty obvious that you're baffled though.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

There are no stock cars that can launch in full boost. Which was exactly my point, genius.

When you try and launch and AWD 4 cylinder quickly, the result is usually the motor bogging down and the cluch frying. The motor doesn't have enough power (no boost, so probably somewhere around 100HP) and the wheels can't spin, so thats the net result.
That's the exact reason why a DSM/Evo/STi isn't as easy to launch as a lot of people think. You have to find that fine line between bogging and slipping the clutch too much.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Wrong. There are a number of stock cars you can launch off the line with full boost. It's a bit trickier with a stick than auto but still not too hard.

Any auto 1.8t stock VW will build full boost simply by flashing the converter while footbraking. The little KO3 turbo is all in at 1800rpms. With a stick you have to heel and toe the launch, staying on the brake hard while the clutch is slipping. A line lock on the drive wheels makes this even easier. These techniques are hard as hell on parts but are certainly possible.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whiteghost
Wrong. There are a number of stock cars you can launch off the line with full boost. It's a bit trickier with a stick than auto but still not too hard.

Any auto 1.8t stock VW will build full boost simply by flashing the converter while footbraking. The little KO3 turbo is all in at 1800rpms. With a stick you have to heel and toe the launch, staying on the brake hard while the clutch is slipping. A line lock on the drive wheels makes this even easier. These techniques are hard as hell on parts but are certainly possible.
I was thinking of Japanese cars, I forgot that the VW turbo motors build full boost so low. In that case, there are definitely some stock cars that can launch of full boost. However, those cars do not include Evos, STis, DSMs, ect. I've never seen a Jap car that could make boost below about 3,000RPM, they aren't built for low end power the way European and American cars are.

The new Cobalt SS turbos are the same way, they make peak torque at only 2,000RPM. Its nice to have a turbo 4 banger thats actually driveable in the lower RPM's. Still no torque monster obviously, but much more driveable than a car like and Evo or STI that has nothing until you're over 3,000RPM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have thought about getting an 04 or 05 sti for a dd, so I'm definitely into learning about launching them. I wasn't sure at what rpm those cars started building boost. Anybody know about how many psi an sti or evo may run stock? BTW Steiner, thanks for clearin that up for me.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
I have thought about getting an 04 or 05 sti for a dd, so I'm definitely into learning about launching them. I wasn't sure at what rpm those cars started building boost. Anybody know about how many psi an sti or evo may run stock? BTW Steiner, thanks for clearin that up for me.
I'm not sure what STi's build stock, but my Evo did 19psi falling to 16psi from the factory. I believe the EvoIX's peak out at around 20psi and drop off about the same.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steiner
Stick to domestics. You've clearly got no idea what you're talking about.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure what STi's build stock, but my Evo did 19psi falling to 16psi from the factory. I believe the EvoIX's peak out at around 20psi and drop off about the same.
Cool, thanks for the info. I think I read somewhere the STI makes like 18 from the factory, although I could be wrong. To be honest, I am debating between an 04-05 sti or an EVO VIII. I love my ls1, but I am really into the import scene as well. I wanted an all wheel drive turbo for my new dd. It's between those two and I believe they are supposed to be pretty close when it comes to acceleration and top end pull. Again, i'm just going off of what I have read. I really like the new lancer ralliart they are supposed to start producing in 09. I think it's 237hp and 253ft-lbs tq. It has a smaller turbo and intercooler and the mivec is different. I think it would be cool to have and modify. It would be a pretty good little sleeper type. It basically looks like a lancer.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

...you can't launch in boost...
Probably not a good time to start calling other people morons. Apologize to the group for your bad attitude or I might just pick something else out of your 1st post to scrutinize. Or would you like to edit it now? Start by putting "full" in front of boost since clearly that's what you meant to say.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Only 05-06's had this feature...
Not to get too picky, but yes and no.

They actually put a 2-step on the '03 and '04. If you pull the flash file using ECUflash (free download) it's labeled "stationary rev limit" just like it is on the '05 and '06. Unfortunately the Mitsubishi brain trust decided to put the 2-step RPM higher than the normal "rev limit". I know. It makes no sense. With a tactrix cable and ECUflash it can be easily fixed by just changing the value for "stationary rev limit". My Evo is an '05 RS but I pulled this picture off a thread about an '04 RS...

Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We're on the LS1 Tech, not some import forum, if other people weren't talking about them I wouldn't be either.

The majority of Evo/STI drivers I see try and launch their cars end up bogging them down or frying the clutch, or both. When you launch one of those cars without the motor having any boost, you're working with somewhere around 100ft/lbs of torque, trying to move 3400lbs from a dead stop without any available wheelspin. Hence the result is the motor bogs down, and then slowly starts to build boost as it accelerates. Its not that hard of a concept, its pretty obvious that you're baffled though.
Last time i post to say anything to you man. Your mixing and matching. They do have some boost. Your talking about launching a car with none then saying show me a car with full off the line. Regardless. We know you dont like them. We know your fairly ignorant about them. Im far from an expert like steiner here seems to be but im not spouting off untrue facts about a car because of its origin.

Also stenier. Its cool your here man diversity makes the site more fun. Some imports are cool. I dont really care to own one but i love that u guys do. Racing would be much more boring than nascar(no offense to anyone) If i got to race nothing but camaros and firebirds.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Amen. Thanks man. I'm no expert though. I actually own four cars right now and the Evo just happens to be the one I've thrown the most money and most time at lately. It's not like I've declared my loyalty to imports or anything though either. You can have both. I do. My other toy car is a (partially) restored '68 Skylark GS400. The imports have their appeal but my 1st love has always been American muscle - dating back to the '66 Barracuda I owned in High School.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Wesman is the reincarnation of ONEBADASSWS6, an import hater that is never wrong. It is possible to launch any car at full boost, it's just quite hard on the drivetrain because you have to load the engine so much. I had an 04 Evo that I could launch easily at max boost simply by heel and toeing off the line. All it requires is keeping the engine rpms over 3000rpms while quickly letting out the clutch 80% and staying hard on the brakes. As boost builds and the clutch fries itself, floor the throttle, and fully lift off the brakes and cluch pedal. This is what the Nissan GTR does with its launch control , but unfortunately the tranny isn't up to the task.