Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Who do you think will win???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you think will win???

okay heres the thing. i got a friend who's dad went out of his way to buy a 91 ZR1 vette with like 30k miles on it. he swears its like the fastest car ever its marked 405 horse so ill give it some prop's its pretty fast like 12-13 prolly. but anyways i got a buddy with a 02 ss camaro. not really mod'd just a lid and exhaust. so pretty much stock. and i say they should race and both are down with a run tomorrow night? both cars near stock. i think it should be a good race what do you think?

Old 10-02-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Who do you think will win???

hmm that is a close sounding race. ill let the big chevy guys in here answer that question. if the zr-1 can drive i think that he will win.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ZR-1 is practically a legendary vette... it depends on what kind of race it is. If it's a drag race, they should be pretty even. If it's a road race, forget it, the ZR1 will tear the SS apart. ZR-1s aren't meant to accelerate fast... they're more of a track car. Let us know who wins.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Comes down to simply weight and HP.
The ZR-1 has both advantages means the
the vette is the faster car.
The LT-5 is a sick motor, although one
of the few I haven't had the fortune of
winding out. Not a bid fan of OHC but hey
at least they didn't need a blower to hit 400hp
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually the weight distribution of the
Zr-1 takes a pretty skilled driver to throw
around. It not very forgiving. This is what
I've been told by a couple vette enthuisests
that know their stuff.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well your right, not really an auto-x car, what I meant was that the DOHC motor is made to rev way up there... the cars got a crazy top speed, like 190-200 mph or something. That's nuts...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:14 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

ZR-1 will most likely rip the SS.

Plus, you KNOW the SS is basically stock ... you are just assuming the ZR-1 is stock, which I am pretty sure is probably not the case.

However, the only way to find out is to take it out and try it out ... LT5 was a pretty mean motor.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

didnt the 90-92's have 375 hp, not 405...i think, not sure. they are geared for top end and they are still the fastest top speed vettes ever. however, it will not rip apart the camaro, most of the earlier year ones i see around my parts run mid 12's to low 13's give or take depending on traction and weather...modded they can get pretty quick though...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

didnt the 90-92's have 375 hp, not 405...i think, not sure.
I think he's right... I know the earlier ones had 375, and the later ones had 405... all this doesn't matter if the ZR1 isn't stock, though..
Old 10-03-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

The very first ZR-1's that were produced were totally underated. I think they listed them at 375-385 but they were running low 12's in the 1/4 stock.

The engines were assembled by Mercury Marine and the quality control was not that good. What I mean is....some were absolute factory freaks while others were dogs. When they raised the HP to 405 it seems as if the ZR-1 went slower. Either way..a Z06 is still faster!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure you do NOT do any top end racing. It would be extremely ugly for the SS.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Teching In

If the ZR1 is stock and has a good driver it will be close in the 1/4 mile, anything after that its all ZR1. The 90-92 375hp, 93-95 405hp. Anything after the 1/4 mile its the ZR1 they pull like a **** after a 100mph. My 92 runs 12.4 0n street tires with a shitty 2.2 60ft at 115mph. the ss are bad ***.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

The engines were assembled by Mercury Marine and the quality control was not that good. What I mean is....some were absolute factory freaks while others were dogs
Actually, they were assembled at Mercury (which happens to be owned by Ford) so that they could have quality control not vice versa. The ZR-1 will win with equal drivers, hands down. Don't let the age of the car or the hp rating fool you, those cars were awesome!
Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The dude with the vette backed out. Me and my buddy with a 01' Formula were the two supposed to race him. The Formula has a 3200 stall TC, trans go shift kit, LS1 Edit, aftermarket control arms, mild suspension work, subframe connectors, whisper lid w filter, no cats, full exhaust, and drag radials. Mine has the lid and filter, exhaust, diablo sport tune, minor weight reduction, and 275/40zr F1s they're 10+ wide as opposed to the 91 vettes stock tires. BTW the ZR1 was totally stock. The guy wouldn't race because he forgot he can't drive a stick . He claims it was just too many cops out but his friends all said it was because he cant drive the thing. Well just thought I would let you all know. Didn't mean for my friend to get you all fired up for a race that didnt happen. Maybe I'll get him to race some day.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

The engines were assembled by Mercury Marine and the quality control was not that good. What I mean is....some were absolute factory freaks while others were dogs
Actually, they were assembled at Mercury (which happens to be owned by Ford) so that they could have quality control not vice versa. The ZR-1 will win with equal drivers, hands down. Don't let the age of the car or the hp rating fool you, those cars were awesome!
Owned by Ford and almost exclusively builds on GM gas motors and Cummins Diesels? I think your confusing Mercury Automobiles with Mercury Marine

Brunswick (Bowling ***** and such)owns Mercury Marine.

Anyway, If I were betting with my own money and both drivers were equal I would say it's a *fairly* easy time for the ZR-1 in any objective performance category. The LT5 is/was a fantastic motor although it was a bit delicate in stock form.

BTW: I was talking ZR-1 vs. near stock '02 SS.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Comes down to simply weight and HP.
The ZR-1 has both advantages means the
the vette is the faster car.
The LT-5 is a sick motor, although one
of the few I haven't had the fortune of
winding out. Not a bid fan of OHC but hey
at least they didn't need a blower to hit 400hp
You do realize the Cobra R in 2000 was a little underrated and most likely was a 400hp engine with no power adder. Also you can buy a 5.0 liter modular crate motor now that makes 435hp.

And to add a little more fuel to the fire. BTW, I love f-bods and the LS1 motor. But the fastest all motor mod motor Cobra is faster than the fastest all motor LS1. Also the mod motored Cobra runs at only 5 liters of displacement. But you can gear the heck out of it and turn the rpms way up. If I remember correctly. Probably new faster times have already happened. But the LS1 powered f-bod went 9.7s and the Mod Motored Cobra went 9.4s.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I realize you most be a blind stang fan
but wouldn't you buy a viper for the prise
of the R. If not go get check out.
Plus wasn't that a 5.4L rated at 385 and
a POS as far as reliability like all niche
stangs-Roush

Theres a reason why they only made a few of them.
Only a few were dumb enough to buy them. Plus all
that money for a car w/o any annenities.

Gez, how many stang guys are on this board anyway.
Says alot about having to know your "enemy" or maybe
just facing your fears.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Too bad he backed out. In a quarter mile race, it would have been close. Well, if he knew how to drive, it should be close. You do it on the highway at a roll. That SS will get stomped. The zr-1 is legandary for a reason. I dont' agree that they trash. Race a stock zr1 in your stock car, then tell me it's trash. Just my .02 cents
Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

You do realize the Cobra R in 2000 was a little underrated and most likely was a 400hp engine with no power adder.
I just did some searching, and the fastest 1/4 mile time I could find on the Cobra R was a 13.2 no mph was ever specified. I saw the 13.2 on more than one website. I would think from that kind of 1.4 mile time, that the Cobra R was OVERRATED, not underrated. Sure, with good traction, I'm sure it would be capable of 12's, but to me, it's anything but a supercar, as many of these websites have it listed under. Ooooh, ahhh, it pulls a full G on the skidpad. So does a ZO6, and for much less money!! Plus, the peice of crap Cobra R didn't even come with A.C or a stereo.

I would think of it as a collector car, not a performance car.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Motor was designed by Lotus and built by Mercury MARINE in Oklahoma, I don't think Mercury marine is related to Mercury automobiles, a division of Ford