Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beat a 98-02 z28 surpisingly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat a 98-02 z28 surpisingly

I was off in Carlisle cruising around with my lady friend, don't know if anyone has ever been to one of their big car shows here in PA, but anyway. I roll up to a 98-02 z28, the guy gives me the nod he'll go. When the light turns green I just just mashed it (auto), and I couldn't tell if he was auto or not. I could tell he deffinetly didn't miss a gear if he was M6 cause he did not fall back super bad at anypoint, but at the end of the race I had about a fender on him. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him cause he turned off to the next road but I was quite surpised of the outcome. I always wanted to race a basically stock LS1 to see how I would fare out (and I'm guessing his car was stock), but with my mods I figured I would have lost, and luckily I finally got to before I sell my car this week. Anyways, mods of his z28 are unknown, but I believe it was an auto, and my mods are: 96 cobra motor, shift kit in auto tranny, 3:73's, C&L full intake, MAC h-pipe/catback, Steeda UDPs, 93 octane dyno tune. Like I said with my mods I didn't think I'd win, or am I wrong, or was it most likely just some other factor that helped me win?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

nice kill
Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

What did you race to?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Teching In

I'm not totally sure, I'd say around 70 tops before I shut down. I never street raced in town before so my eyes were everywhere else but the speedo for the most part. The car was climbing up in the RPMs in 2nd so I'd say 60-70.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think he might of been able to catch you, but thats just the gm inside of me. ls1s pull hard in 3rd...but we will never know will we haha
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

He probably would have walked past you if you had kept going. I know there was a guy at the track with the same year car as yours and close to the same mods and he was barely breaking out of the 14s with it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i think he might of been able to catch you, but thats just the gm inside of me. ls1s pull hard in 3rd...but we will never know will we haha
I think it would have ended relatively close., but like you said, we'll never know.

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
He probably would have walked past you if you had kept going. I know there was a guy at the track with the same year car as yours and close to the same mods and he was barely breaking out of the 14s with it.
totally different. NOt many people put a 4V cobra motor in a GT with 3.73s, and do an Auto conversion. THis guy has a low-mid 13 sec. car, pending stall. Also....the 96-98 cobra 4V's are upper rpm powerband cars. He would have kept pulling too.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill, OP. What are you getting after you sell the GT?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

probably a lt1 with a front end conversion hahaha only kidding nice kill op!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

All I know is that's a good kill! Not sure about the motor thing. I've never raced a pre-99 GT that had a cobra motor in it so I don't know how they pull when beside me. most stock 98's and below always were high 14's to low 15's. You have a considerable mount of good mods and that motor of course is going to be different than a stock 96-98 v8 motor. Good Kill none-the-less.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Good kill! Sounds like a nice ride you got there. Probably suprised alot of people with it

+1 on what are you getting after it's sold?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

necrocannibal: that guy you saw at the track must not have been able to drive. I know guys with cobras with same mods as I, plus a 5 speed getting high 12's/low 13's. So I figured my car to be a mid 13 or so.
ponygt: I never did an auto swap on the car, the car was always an automatic and I just swapped the motor, not tranny. Also, the 4v motors pull hard up top, but from what I've read/saw, LS1's still have a little on em for the top end.
To the two who asked what I'll be getting next: I don't think I'm going to get another car because I need the money to live at college since I gotta pay for it myself. I really had my heart set on an 98+T/A, but I know I need to save it up rather than spend it. In the future I plan on getting a LS1, just not now =(.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstang1996
necrocannibal: that guy you saw at the track must not have been able to drive. I know guys with cobras with same mods as I, plus a 5 speed getting high 12's/low 13's. So I figured my car to be a mid 13 or so.
ponygt: I never did an auto swap on the car, the car was always an automatic and I just swapped the motor, not tranny. Also, the 4v motors pull hard up top, but from what I've read/saw, LS1's still have a little on em for the top end.
To the two who asked what I'll be getting next: I don't think I'm going to get another car because I need the money to live at college since I gotta pay for it myself. I really had my heart set on an 98+T/A, but I know I need to save it up rather than spend it. In the future I plan on getting a LS1, just not now =(.
That's cool, man. Definitely prioritize with the education that will GET you the money for the car down the road.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Unless you're gonna be a doctor or a lawyer, screw that. Most people don't end up working in a job that has much to do with their college education anyway, lol
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont he might not have been able to. He was pretty amazed at how my stock LS1 went high 12s and he was still trying for 13s. Maybe he was just a sorry *** driver.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Is your Mustang yellow with dark tinted windows and was the Z28 white?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should ahve been a tad clearer in my post.

Not too many people do Auto conversions in 96-98 cobras so the combo of lightweight 4V motor in a lighter GT mustang with an Auto is not your average mustang to where people can do a 'normal' comparison.

ALso, yes, LS1s are upper rpm/3rd gear pullers. My only point is the N/A cobra's have a nice HP curve in upper rpms that most guys (since they aren' too stang friendly) dont' realize.

And FYI..I wasn't trying to dig on anyone. Just stating this isn't your avg. mustang given the combo you've got.