Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Murdered a GT500...at the track 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Murdered a GT500...at the track 1/8

So im sitting in the lanes and i see this beautiful black with white stripes Mustang GT500 with a requisite smug-*** sitting behind the wheel. I approached and complimented on the car and say: I want a piece of that, i know they are fast
Him: What are you running ( I point to a meek Camaro ) 5 speed? he asked
Me: Naah its just an Automatic...Dont be scared (with a smile)
Him: IM NOT SCARED, lets do it
5 minutes later we stage, I stall up a bit and leave on the last yellow, of course, hooked and left pretty good, and looking for him to be beside me at least, but unfortunately all I see is headlights behind at least 3-4 cars. At the timing stand the guy honks for his life for me to stop, so i did. Now this is the point where i wish i had a camera, his eyes were the size of platters:
Him(with anger and aggravation): THERE IS NOTHING STOCK ABOUT THAT CAR!!
Me(smiling): I never said it was stock, I just told you not to be scared
I think he was pretty pissed at that point and pulled away, tool

Disclamer:
Im well aware that he would kill me from a roll, and if the track was 1/4 instead of 1/8 he might have caught me, he was also on street tires, and im not sure how many times he's been to a track, so props for him for trying to put that power down. I had no clue how it would end up but i prefer racing cars that are faster than me for modification motivation. But it did feel good to put the smug bastard in his place

Ive got stock power, about 300 whp, and my best time before converter was a 12.6 at 109
Also killed a big turbo STI, the guy was cool as hell, and i got murdered myself by a trailered HUGEASS turbo Mustang later that night, but i dont mind losing

Last edited by PIZDETS; 04-28-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: evidently i can't spell
Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a good time. Good kill. I hate people that are ******** just because they bought a fast car. Most of them dont know how to drive them anyway lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Teching In

I hope you don't get your ***** busted for posting this in the street race section...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silverstang1996
I hope you don't get your ***** busted for posting this in the street race section...
Thanks for the props,

mods: you are welcome to move it or delete
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Street Racing & Kill Stories

It's alright by me.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

I have always said stalled auto with gears are tough to beat off the line... NICE kill.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

Very nice bro he may have tracked you down in the quarter. Those cars are incredibly hard to launch on street tires. Huge amount of torque in a big heavy car. I can't tell you how many modded ones I have smoked at the track cause the owners just can't drive em. And they don't make an auto which sucks for them. There are some tools that own them cause they are even smartasses to another Mustang guy who beat them. I guess if you got $50,000 plus in your car and you had a 2.2 short time you would be frustrated too.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Teching In

Oh, ok, my bad OP sorry bout that!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Good kill, you put that smart *** in his place.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PIZDETS
I approched and complimented on the car and say: I want a piece of that
First, I'll say good kill on the GT500. Second, who actually says "I want a piece of that?" That's a really weird way to start a conversation, even if you did compliment him on his car first.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
First, I'll say good kill on the GT500. Second, who actually says "I want a piece of that?" That's a really weird way to start a conversation, even if you did compliment him on his car first.
Sorry, i should have clarified, those were cliffnotes, and unfortunately there are not many street cars worth racing at my track EVER, its either 5.50's or 9.50's plus its a cool car. I havent even seen one around here because i live in BFE, for now.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PIZDETS
Sorry, i should have clarified, those were cliffnotes, and unfortunately there are not many street cars worth racing at my track EVER, its either 5.50's or 9.50's plus its a cool car. I havent even seen one around here because i live in BFE, for now.
Gotcha. It just struck me odd that a conversation would start like that.
Nice race and good kill.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

nice kill

I've taken 2 or 3 of these at my local track as well. I didn't even need to use the nitrous. It seems most GT 500 owners think that they can run the car on street tires
From what I've witnessed, 13s and 14s are the norm with street tires and average drivers. I really would like to line up my duramax with a stock one (with street tires). I'd make it call me daddy for the first 1/8 mile or so

For the record, I would own a GT 500. I think they are awesome cars and really just need traction and minor tweaking to be amazing. According to some articles that I've read in one of the Ford mags, it really is pretty simple to run 10s in GT 500. For those with deeper pockets, I've even seen a turbo kit providing boost in conjuction with the stock supercharger...... that setup is good for 1000 + HP at the wheels.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by madden
nice kill

I've taken 2 or 3 of these at my local track as well. I didn't even need to use the nitrous. It seems most GT 500 owners think that they can run the car on street tires
From what I've witnessed, 13s and 14s are the norm with street tires and average drivers. I really would like to line up my duramax with a stock one (with street tires). I'd make it call me daddy for the first 1/8 mile or so

For the record, I would own a GT 500. I think they are awesome cars and really just need traction and minor tweaking to be amazing. According to some articles that I've read in one of the Ford mags, it really is pretty simple to run 10s in GT 500. For those with deeper pockets, I've even seen a turbo kit providing boost in conjuction with the stock supercharger...... that setup is good for 1000 + HP at the wheels.
I wouldn't recommend the dual-charger setup on any vehicle. Runs too hot and too damn difficult to tune from what I've heard.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't do it either. That was the first that I'd heard of two separate forced induction setups on the same car. I think they were using the stock internals on the 5.4.

Last edited by madden; 04-28-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't do it either. That was the first that I'd heard of two separate forced induction setups on the same car. I think they were using the stock enternals on the 5.4.
I highly doubt it since the rods won't hold past 700rwhp or so. If they do they are on very borrowed time. I've seen it on an '03 Cobra before which it didn't perform well because of the tuning and heat soak
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Administrator

For those with deeper pockets, I've even seen a turbo kit providing boost in conjuction with the stock supercharger...... that setup is good for 1000 + HP at the wheels.
Not for a stock GT500, maybe a stock '03 Cobra engine. Someone might
be able to make a thousand horse on a dyno, but it won't live in the real world.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I highly doubt it since the rods won't hold past 700rwhp or so. If they do they are on very borrowed time. I've seen it on an '03 Cobra before which it didn't perform well because of the tuning and heat soak
I was at the track the other night when Lethal Performance's GT500 threw a rod, opened a 6" hole in the side of the block. It had that new Whipple blower with a small pulley running 23 pounds of boost. went 10.8something when it let go. They did a quick mail order tune on it, probably what went wrong.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
T.A.WS6

good job!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unit213
Not for a stock GT500, maybe a stock '03 Cobra engine. Someone might
be able to make a thousand horse on a dyno, but it won't live in the real world.
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
I was at the track the other night when Lethal Performance's GT500 threw a rod, opened a 6" hole in the side of the block. It had that new Whipple blower with a small pulley running 23 pounds of boost. went 10.8something when it let go. They did a quick mail order tune on it, probably what went wrong.
I'm definitely not a mustang fan boy; but I think that this article speaks for itself: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ons/index.html

This particular GT 500 ran high 9s and made 870 horsepower to the wheels on a stock block and stock clutch and was near 4000 lbs. How long will it hold up....??? Who knows but it did this with a blower swap. I couldn't find the article where a turbo and supercharger where used in conjuction but I thought it stated around 1000 horsepower...... could have been wrong..

Is the 4.6 cobra engine considered more durable than the 5.4 GT 500 engine?