Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice
View Poll Results: What type of street racing does your city do mostly?
Dig races
37.90%
Roll races
62.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Dig races or Roll races? What does your city mostly do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
Screwing around, fun races - rolls - just to see who can pull up top.
Races that mean anything - Digs only.
Agree. I'm not that old, but have to much riding on my life (kids, job, lisence) to risk racing on the street. I'll do the 'occasional' roll race, but not to insane speeds. If they want to go beyond 120mph **** that, I enjoy my life.

Most all racing I do is at a track, and around here other then autocross which my car isn't set up for; is the 1,320ft.

It's funny I run into people all the time that want to race, I say ok. Tuesday nights at ORP are street nights, also have slick nights... and I NEVER hear from them again...

Now if INDY would open up Speedway and allow people to race around the track I would...

I've never been behind an 8-low 9 second car that can dead hook at a drag strip. I imagine the rush from that would make any roll race seem like riding a go-cart. Unless you just like seeing 175+mph. To me that is just suicide.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R W B
lol, ive done the same thing in N.O. on 1-10 in the middle of the night before, lol.

Were you at the lakefront meet in new orleans late last month? My good friend talked to you some when you pulled up, he also has a 03' EB z06.
Yes I was, with the 03 EB Z06
Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Most all racing I do is at a track, and around here other then autocross which my car isn't set up for; is the 1,320ft.

It's funny I run into people all the time that want to race, I say ok. Tuesday nights at ORP are street nights, also have slick nights... and I NEVER hear from them again...
I'm with you, take it to the track. The main problem with going to IRP is they're a little sticky on et & mph without a rollbar.

There are a few spots where dig racing happens, most in Indy just roll out on the highway.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

If it's a setup race it's always from a dig, or I won't race
Now if I'm driving around town 70% and I happen to get into a race it's from a roll
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
+1. There are high HP cars that can hook, but for the most part, the guys who say "dig or nothing" are usually within 50 HP of stock and more often than not are automatics.
The guys who say roll or nothing are more often then not the guys with M6's that arent very good at driving stick.

It goes both ways man, i understand your statement and i did say Dig, I'm auto, but def not within 50hp of stock.

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
Screwing around, fun races - rolls - just to see who can pull up top.
Races that mean anything - Digs only.
Originally Posted by Punisher GTO
If it's a setup race it's always from a dig, or I won't race
Now if I'm driving around town 70% and I happen to get into a race it's from a roll
These last two posts kinda summed it up for me.

This thread will go on for days and year and centuries with people arguing which is better. All i know is if someone calls me out, we're running from a dig, if i see a sweet fast car rolling around town, the likely hood of us both catching a light is slim to none so the roll is gunna happen.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I saw this thread I knew people would not be able to resist posting opinions pro and con. There was no way people would just answer the question and report what type of racing occurs in their locale.

FWIW we have a good bunch of racers here in Austin that can drive stick as well as anyone and that's not the reason they like to roll race. (We also have a few that need to work on their skillz too )

I also have an automatic trans car that puts down about double the HP that it had stock. I will dig race that bitch if someone calls me out. It is set up so that it pulls the front end at the track and will hook up fine on a decent street with my Hoosiers. A lot of suspension tuning went into it.

Hate to poke holes in some of the opinions here, but some of those I saw in the thread just don't apply to us here in ATX.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
The guys who say roll or nothing are more often then not the guys with M6's that arent very good at driving stick.

It goes both ways man, i understand your statement and i did say Dig, I'm auto, but def not within 50hp of stock.
LOLz.. dont be hatin'. I **** on everyone who sticks to one race or the other. I race to have fun. The ********* that think there is only one kind of race are the ones I'm on about.

I've said before that if a guy puts the $ and work into his car to get his suspension right, he deserves his dig race. Too many roll racers write off racing from a stop as nothing more than a guy who is willing to roll around on slicks or drag radials.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
All i know is if someone calls me out, we're running from a dig
Since you prefer dig, this is how it should be. whoever is doing the calling out should give the other guy his race.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

LOLz.. dont be hatin'. I **** on everyone who sticks to one race or the other. I race to have fun. The ********* that think there is only one kind of race are the ones I'm on about.

I've said before that if a guy puts the $ and work into his car to get his suspension right, he deserves his dig race. Too many roll racers write off racing from a stop as nothing more than a guy who is willing to roll around on slicks or drag radials.
Not hatin' haha, ill do roll runs after a dig run.

Dig first

Since you prefer dig, this is how it should be. whoever is doing the calling out should give the other guy his race.
I agree if you are calling someone out, you are obviously confident and cocky enough to think you'll win, so if you are that confident give them their 'strong' race dig or roll.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TWS
As soon as I saw this thread I knew people would not be able to resist posting opinions pro and con. There was no way people would just answer the question and report what type of racing occurs in their locale.

FWIW we have a good bunch of racers here in Austin that can drive stick as well as anyone and that's not the reason they like to roll race. (We also have a few that need to work on their skillz too )

I also have an automatic trans car that puts down about double the HP that it had stock. I will dig race that bitch if someone calls me out. It is set up so that it pulls the front end at the track and will hook up fine on a decent street with my Hoosiers. A lot of suspension tuning went into it.

Hate to poke holes in some of the opinions here, but some of those I saw in the thread just don't apply to us here in ATX.
Yea, my friend who says everywhere does just roll racing actually mention something about Austin because he brought his Supra to Boostlogic to get his single setup done and apparently the guys there said Austin is all about roll races and no one does digs. I said, 99% of people that do money runs will do it from a dig.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
dig races only unless your on a cruise messing around.
YUP............. Does the NHRA now do roll racing..???? ...
Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by R W B
Yea, my friend who says everywhere does just roll racing actually mention something about Austin because he brought his Supra to Boostlogic to get his single setup done and apparently the guys there said Austin is all about roll races and no one does digs. I said, 99% of people that do money runs will do it from a dig.

I've noticed that...most people who do digs like to run for money...most people who do rolls do it to prove their cars faster.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
YUP............. Does the NHRA now do roll racing..???? ...
I didnt know street racing was sponsored by the NHRA.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well i havent seen anyone from the bay area, ca. so ill just speak for us. its mostly from digs. but in order to do digs around here it has to be late and in the middle of nowhere kind of areas.. rolls are just easy to do. and we usually go from 30 or 50 mph.

but its half and half. just depends on what the drivers wanna go from..
Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

Lol 99% of the people in this thread talking down on roll racing would get ate up at the strip by my "*** race car".

It has nothing to do about skill guys, it has to do with the fact that 700rwhp + IRS = SNAP!!!!!

I dont like breaking parts, just like anybody else. Roll racing is a good way to have fun and not have to bring a trailer with you everytime just in case. Can I race at the strip? Hell yes and I do enjoy doing it. My last car was a 99 Z28 with a yank PT4000, built 4L60E, 4.10's, full bolt ons and on tire. It was fun as hell, thats why the Goat will be my roll race/fun street car and the Fox will eventually be the trailer car drag *****.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Lol 99% of the people in this thread talking down on roll racing would get ate up at the strip by my "*** race car".

It has nothing to do about skill guys, it has to do with the fact that 700rwhp + IRS = SNAP!!!!!

I dont like breaking parts, just like anybody else. Roll racing is a good way to have fun and not have to bring a trailer with you everytime just in case. Can I race at the strip? Hell yes and I do enjoy doing it. My last car was a 99 Z28 with a yank PT4000, built 4L60E, 4.10's, full bolt ons and on tire. It was fun as hell, thats why the Goat will be my roll race/fun street car and the Fox will eventually be the trailer car drag *****.

Pfftt..
Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SierraSport
Pfftt..
If you werent such a big fukin Ogre I would tell you to shut your mouth.....
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

If you werent such a big fukin Ogre I would tell you to shut your mouth.....
LOL shut your mouth Jimbo
what did that fat bitch put down on the rollers?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
LOL shut your mouth Jimbo
what did that fat bitch put down on the rollers?
Not enough....

The small *** 2" turbo piping restricted me down BIG TIME. LOL trying to push a PT88 through 2".

Anyway the fat bitch layed down 700rwhp on pumpgas, and that was it. Im only getting 10psi out of the setup and it falls off at 5500rpms.

I already picked up a new intercooler (bigger), and am getting new 3" turbo pipe made up. It's almost time to make some real power......
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Not enough....

The small *** 2" turbo piping restricted me down BIG TIME. LOL trying to push a PT88 through 2".

Anyway the fat bitch layed down 700rwhp on pumpgas, and that was it. Im only getting 10psi out of the setup and it falls off at 5500rpms.

I already picked up a new intercooler (bigger), and am getting new 3" turbo pipe made up. It's almost time to make some real power......
I'm guessing the 2" piping was from the old setup?

Can't wait to hear what it puts down at full kill mode

Quick Reply: Dig races or Roll races? What does your city mostly do?