Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DEATH by GT-r (with his wife in it)...ow....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are missing the point of the GT-R. it was never made to be a straight line car. if all you're looking for is straight line performance, then by all means buy a cheaper Vette. The GT-R is a road racing car. it was made to handle curves. it just so happens to be pretty quick in a straight line as well, but that was never the intended purpose for the car. if you want a car that can't be touched on a road course, then you buy the GT-R. It all depends on what your goals for the car are, and what type of racing you plan to use it for.

as for the confusion on the GT-R being behind at the start, he probably didn't want to launch the car, so he just floored it. no offense, but if i was racing a car over a second slower in the 1/4 mile than me, i wouldn't have launched either...

well, yeah I would have haha
Old 06-04-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ODUB
you guys are missing the point of the GT-R. it was never made to be a straight line car. if all you're looking for is straight line performance, then by all means buy a cheaper Vette. The GT-R is a road racing car. it was made to handle curves. it just so happens to be pretty quick in a straight line as well, but that was never the intended purpose for the car. if you want a car that can't be touched on a road course, then you buy the GT-R. It all depends on what your goals for the car are, and what type of racing you plan to use it for.

as for the confusion on the GT-R being behind at the start, he probably didn't want to launch the car, so he just floored it. no offense, but if i was racing a car over a second slower in the 1/4 mile than me, i wouldn't have launched either...

well, yeah I would have haha

I agree in a way but I also disagree. Totally, the gtr was made for curves you totally right but I would way rather get a z06 and do some suspension work and just a few egine mods JMHO. It'll be alot cheaper in the long run. Plus I hear those GTRs have weak drivetrains.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
I agree in a way but I also disagree. Totally, the gtr was made for curves you totally right but I would way rather get a z06 and do some suspension work and just a few egine mods JMHO. It'll be alot cheaper in the long run. Plus I hear those GTRs have weak drivetrains.
the GT-R's drivetrain is stout. you can do what you want to the Z06, but it still won't be as easy to drive fast as the GT-R, and ultimately won't be as fast. you talk about engine mods on the Z06...why? it's already more powerful than the GT-R, and lighter. it doesn't need anymore power. it could use suspension mods, but no matter what you do, you'll never be able to make it grip like the GT-R, or get the traction out of the corners like you get with an AWD car. if you're going to go road racing, buy a GT-R. if you're going to go drag racing, buy a Vette.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

the GT-R's drivetrain is stout. you can do what you want to the Z06, but it still won't be as easy to drive fast as the GT-R, and ultimately won't be as fast. you talk about engine mods on the Z06...why? it's already more powerful than the GT-R, and lighter. it doesn't need anymore power. it could use suspension mods, but no matter what you do, you'll never be able to make it grip like the GT-R, or get the traction out of the corners like you get with an AWD car. if you're going to go road racing, buy a GT-R. if you're going to go drag racing, buy a Vette.
You could just those some magnetic ride suspension like whats on the zr1. I honestly think RWD is the best for performance.

I would still mod a Z06 if I had one(intake, and full exhaust) why not.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Teching In

You act like the GT-R is the fastest thing on a course.. The ZR-1 is faster on the nurburgring and it wouldn't take much to make a z06 faster on a course suspension wise. Hell my c5 is already MUCH faster than a GT-R and suspension mods aren't really that expensive.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
You act like the GT-R is the fastest thing on a course.. The ZR-1 is faster on the nurburgring and it wouldn't take much to make a z06 faster on a course suspension wise. Hell my c5 is already MUCH faster than a GT-R and suspension mods aren't really that expensive.
the GT-R is not the fastest thing out there. the fastest at the nurburgring was actually the Dodge Viper. the ZR1 is faster on the nurburgring because it's got 638hp and a higher top speed, and the nurburgring is 13 miles long with miles of straight sections. power comes into play bigtime on a course like that. the ZR1 is also at least 20-30k more expensive than the GT-R. you could easily make the GT-R much faster for a lot less money.

Last edited by ODUB; 06-04-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
You could just those some magnetic ride suspension like whats on the zr1. I honestly think RWD is the best for performance.

I would still mod a Z06 if I had one(intake, and full exhaust) why not.
magnetic ride suspension on a RWD is no where near as capable as the ATTESSA AWD system on the GT-R. that really doesn't even make any sense. all the magnetic suspension does is adjust damper strength on the fly according to changing road conditions. that is a good feature, but that has nowhere near the grip of AWD, and it doesn't help increase corner exit speeds, or a lot of other things AWD helps with. you just keep coming up with one useless post after another. first the 4700lb G35 pulling an EVO, now this. at least the other guys are making valid points. i don't know where you're getting your BS from.

another thing you guys are forgetting is that the GT-R can be fast in more conditions than the vette. try driving a ZR1 in the wet and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Teching In

the GT-R is not the fastest thing out there. the fastest at the nurburgring was actually the Dodge Viper. the ZR1 is faster on the nurburgring because it's got 638hp and a higher top speed, and the nurburgring is 13 miles long with miles of straight sections. power comes into play bigtime on a course like that. the ZR1 is also at least 20-30k more expensive than the GT-R. you could easily make the GT-R much faster for a lot less money.
Lol well my z06 is already faster than a zr1 and gt-r so i can invest 70k in suspension to = a gt-r i'm just giving you a hard time. i admit they do very well for being such heavy cars.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why does the zr1 pull more G's on the skid pad then? The best handleing cars are RWD, F1 cars, rwd is the best for street perfomance you dont need the extra weight of the of the AWD system.

Last edited by carbonfiberbird; 06-05-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

the viper ARC was the fastest thing on the coarse, now arent vipers RWD? And what about the 120k POS GTR v-spec. The ZR1 is a amazing car for the money, you get WAY more bang for your buck out of that than the GTR
Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
***Repost Police***

Bang for your buck with the ZR-1 vs. the GT-R? There's a ~$50k difference there...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Isnt there a video on youtube comparing the Z06 and the GTR, in which the Z06 completely destroyed the GTR? Or maybe it was the ZR1, not sure.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Actually the 700lbs + the GT-R carries over the Z-06 means the Z CAN grip like the GT-R with mods. And the GT-R, while very, very capable, is a very poor choice for road racing over the long-term due to its excessive weight and complex gearbox. Plus, with all the driver's aids, you learn virtually nothing from racing it.

the ZR1 is also at least 20-30k more expensive than the GT-R. you could easily make the GT-R much faster for a lot less money.
Mod for mod, a pulley swap and tune on the ZR1 is probably far, far more reliable (transmission) and cheaper/easier than modding the GT-R (turbos) to trap well into the 130s.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

I disagree with all the "why would you buy a gtr for drag racing?" comments. that's kinda like saying the Z06 is aces for straightline, so why would you buy it for the track when essentially it can do both very well? a car of that caliber and price needs to be able to be outstanding in all aspects of driving, especially in the seat of the pants feel department with a price tag like that.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

carbonfiberbird there's so much wrong with both of your posts that i don't have time to address them right now. i'll be back though. keep posting in the meantime. every post you make shows how little you know about the subject we're discussing, and it makes my job easier to paint you as an idiot.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The GTR still can't outrun its ugliness.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

carbonfiberbird there's so much wrong with both of your posts that i don't have time to address them right now. i'll be back though. keep posting in the meantime. every post you make shows how little you know about the subject we're discussing, and it makes my job easier to paint you as an idiot.

I had to go back and read his posts because I wasn't sure what your talking about but that is funny!! lol
Have fun!
Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Manalishi

Thanks for contributing
Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Thanks for contributing
You're welcome.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Lmao.