Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

street racing ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default street racing ?

I live in Tampa,FL and i was wondering what the street racing laws were in other cities?

here if you get caught u get a ticket i think for like 500 dollars and have to go to court(lot of fines) and could possible get your license taken away for a year.

u also have a chance of getting your car impound and going straight to jail depending on the cop and how he catches you.

just curious Matt
Old 11-08-2003, 12:09 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

How could you get caught in an LS1?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Teching In

in LA county in california they impound your car and you never get it back also a very heavy fine
Old 11-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Teching In

phoeinix az they impound your car for 6 months give you a ticket and you lose your license from 6 to 1 year. That really suck cause if you look at it all the races are outide of town and where no car ever drives
Old 11-08-2003, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

va its a reckless racing ticket
8 points on licance (i think)
and lots of fines..

in LA that sound like car theft to me...if they are taking my car for life then i am not stopping they will have to catch me... thats nutz!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been street racing for about 15 yrs.
Up here in the Detroit area it is just a ticket, but it is a mandatory court date also. Ive personally been hit 4 times and the points were no more than 4. Points are accumulative when you reach over 12 you get suspended.(been there) The laws may have changed by now, My last Drag Racing ticket was Mothers day `98, Car was only 2 months Old. I had that one reduced to squeeling tires, 1 point.

Streetlight Showdowns can be Fun, but always check your mirrors !!!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:51 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samuraixv
in LA county in california they impound your car and you never get it back also a very heavy fine
werd. dont get caught street racing in cali. with all the street racing deaths we've had in so cal they really crack down on that ****.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:44 AM
wrencher

Up in Illinois it is like a DUI.

In chicago they will get your car.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Over here in Houston, TX you get a fine and automatically get your license suspended. My license is all ready suspended so they can't suspended something I don't have. As for California they would have to catch me in order to get my car. I rather wreck it than give it to them.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Fl Is A Suspension, Fine & Impound I Think
Old 11-08-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

YA RUN ITS JAIL TIME AND LOSS OF LICENCE FOR A LONG LONG TIME & IN MOST CITES YOU WILL GET CAUGHT.. ID RUN BUT NOT PAST THE EXTENT WHERE IT BECAME A STREET CHASE, WHAT I MEAN IS IF I BLEW BY A COP ID SLAM IT AND TRY ND DUCK OFF SOMEWHERE. BUT HELL IF HES IN A CLEAR PERSUIT THEY ALREADY GOT YOUR TAG ON TAPE AND ALTEAST ARROUND HERE ITS A SMALL TOWN AN ORANGE TRANS AM WILL BE NOTICED ONCE HES IN YOUR MIRROR WITH LIGHTS BLARING ITS OVER BUT THATS NOT TO SAY YOU CANT GET LUCKLY AND GET AWAY BEFORE HE GETS ON THE TRAIL (REALLY DEPENDS ON THE LOCATION ie. IS THERR A PLACE TO TURN OFF TO WAS THE COP CLOCKING OR PASSING IN THE OTHER LANE ECT...)
Old 11-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Launching!

In TX it is automatic jail and don't pass go! I know because I had a cop come up to me. As he was walking to the car it was "You know I'm sending your *** to jail boy!" I was like 'Oh ****'. The thing that saved me and pissed off the cop was that I had my military ID (Marine reserve) on me
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Launching!

thanks for the imput reason i was asking is because im going in to the Air Force in 3 weeks and after boot camp and tech training i do not know where im going to be stationed. so i wanted to get an idea of what goes on around the country.

thanks Matt
Old 11-08-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

so wait since your in army you got out of it ? is that some special law or was the cop just letting you off...explain?
Old 11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
I live in Tampa,FL and i was wondering what the street racing laws were in other cities?

here if you get caught u get a ticket i think for like 500 dollars and have to go to court(lot of fines) and could possible get your license taken away for a year.

u also have a chance of getting your car impound and going straight to jail depending on the cop and how he catches you.

just curious Matt
There's not a chance of jailtime, you WILL go straight to jail if you get cought street racing. I remember how they raided the local street races right after they passed that law here, over 20 people went to jail and many more got spectator tickets.

Not only this, but some insurance companies will drop you
Old 11-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

I believe if they catch you here in Tennesee, the loser has to paint the Sherif's house.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

seems like that would be better than jail time
Old 11-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Default racing

Originally Posted by whiteLS1

just curious Matt
matt i grew up in tampa and im 40
we used to race on airport road which is now international mall "70 442"
it was a great strip and the cops NEVER ran us off
also used to race on the gandy bridge
yes times have changed and its not worth risking your bad *** ride for
we used to go to king of the street"test and tune" at Sunsine speedway is it still around????
Old 11-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Launching!

i guess it also depends on the cop. i have been pulled over for racing and the cop chewed my **** out. he told me how stupid i was for doing that on the street and as funny as it was, i kept a straight face and said " yes sir, it was stupid" and apologized. but then a week later, a friend of mine got was taken to jail for racing. what made him mad was that he didnt even get a chance to get chewed out and apologize,lol.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samuraixv
Man, that is harsh! Worst I ever got was parking on a freeway and equipment violations - no wipers, exhaust leak into car (how do you boot a B&M zigzag shifter), bad emergency brake (the test was if it would kill the engine in first. I had a 409 and 4.56 gears in my 55. It would climb walls in first!), and such. That was a long time ago, though. Guys brought rails on trailers to Big *****'s street meets. No place to race around here and I wouldn't know where to go to find a race. We used to hang out a Bob's Big Boy in Glendale, or Van de Kamps off San Fernando by the Glendale freeway, but I don't know of anything like that (hot rods and muscle cars just hanging out) around here. There was an active sub-culture and word would spread. I had guys come from Long Beach and Pomona looking for me. Sounds like times (and the climate) have changed a lot it the last (geez - has it really been??) 40 years. I take it to the strip now.

Guess I didn't answer the question, but thanks for a trip down memory lane