Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO IX MR vs 2010 Camaro V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ODUB
seriously? lol thanks for the laugh. i won't bother responding to that post, because it was obviously a joke. nobody's that ******* retarded lol.
lol, welcome to tech.

You'll fit in just fine here.

Need more posters with a sense of humor and can take a ribbing without getting their panties in a wad.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
If the MR runs 12s what makes the normal Evo run low 13s with much less mph? Once again sources? I've been digging around for a long time..Im on the evo forums and don't remember seeing claims like this before?

Edit: Did some more digging today..seems the 5K limiter holds the car back stock..a lot of claims that removing that 5K limiter got the person 12s almost everytime. Pretty impressive...still haven't seen traps that high.
all the EVO's do about the same in the 1/4 mile. the first 3 gears are about the same, 4th and 5th are longer in the 5 speed, and for drag racing, most people prefer the 5 speed for that reason. i hit the rev limiter in 4th on a couple of my runs. EVO RS, regular IX, or IX MR are all capable of 12's in the 1/4 mile. the year models make the difference. the 03-04 EVO 8's were the slowest. they'd do low 13's stock. the 05 EVO 8's could do 12.9-13.2 stock, then the IX's came along digging a little deeper into the 12's.

as for the launch limiter, it doesn't hold the car back if you know how to drive. i saw a magazine that had to disable the limiter to do a 13.7 in a stock EVO IX. they just couldn't drive for ****. my limiter is still at the stock 5k, and it's not a requiremnt to disable it to get into the 12's.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
with the right driver the new camaro ss will beat the new evos. gotta remember when mags test cars they just floor it and with tc on most of the time. they test cars with what comes with them. its how it is done. from the video i seen of the camaro ss. it did the 13.0 burning its tires over and over for a good 2 seconds or more. im betting some 12.6 to 12.7 times will be hit by them stock once there broken in with the driver mod.
the new camaro SS will eat the NEW EVO X alive in a straight line. at best it's a low 13 second car. they are heavier than the IX's. a IX would be a good match up for the new SS in the 1/4 mile. they would likely be neck and neck, but after the 1/4 the SS will pull.

that said, EVO's were never meant to be good in a straight line. they are made to take corners. they just so happen to be good at the straight line thing too, but they were never meant for it.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

the new camaro SS will eat the NEW EVO X alive in a straight line. at best it's a low 13 second car. they are heavier than the IX's. a IX would be a good match up for the new SS in the 1/4 mile. they would likely be neck and neck, but after the 1/4 the SS will pull.

that said, EVO's were never meant to be good in a straight line. they are made to take corners. they just so happen to be good at the straight line thing too, but they were never meant for it.
111 trap > 104 trap (averages)
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
111 trap > 104 trap (averages)
okay? i don't think anyone ever argued that. that said, there aren't enough SS's out there yet to know what the average is, and considering the varying degree's of EVO driver's skill levels, the average traps for the car can be decieving. example...i was at the track that night i ran 12.82 in my basically stock EVO IX, and there was a heavily modified EVO 8 that should have been running low 12's if not high 11's. the best run he did all night was 12.7.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

okay? i don't think anyone ever argued that. that said, there aren't enough SS's out there yet to know what the average is, and considering the varying degree's of EVO driver's skill levels, the average traps for the car can be decieving. example...i was at the track that night i ran 12.82 in my basically stock EVO IX, and there was a heavily modified EVO 8 that should have been running low 12's if not high 11's. the best run he did all night was 12.7.
I guess your track has the best drivers in the world or something because the best times I've ever seen a stock EVO IX pull was a 13.5 at 103 and I know the guy is a damn fine driver. I have never heard of a "bone stock" EVO pull a 107 trap, unless you have something you didn't mention.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

I guess your track has the best drivers in the world or something because the best times I've ever seen a stock EVO IX pull was a 13.5 at 103 and I know the guy is a damn fine driver. I have never heard of a "bone stock" EVO pull a 107 trap, unless you have something you didn't mention.
agreed. IF he did run those speeds, he more than likely did it on just a ricer tune (cranking up the boost)
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
with the right driver the new camaro ss will beat the new evos. gotta remember when mags test cars they just floor it and with tc on most of the time. they test cars with what comes with them. its how it is done. from the video i seen of the camaro ss. it did the 13.0 burning its tires over and over for a good 2 seconds or more. im betting some 12.6 to 12.7 times will be hit by them stock once there broken in with the driver mod.
there was one dude that ran a 12.5 with just a CAI and a mild tune with a new camaro
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Hey, there's no need to 'talk down' to this member... He said 'basically stock' which is rarely used when the car is 'stock'.

A little courtesy goes a long way and there's just no excuse for berating a fellow member on this board; even when they are over-touting ricer crap.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OVA1
Hey, there's no need to 'talk down' to this member... He said 'basically stock' which is rarely used when the car is 'stock'.

A little courtesy goes a long way and there's just no excuse for berating a fellow member on this board; even when they are over-touting ricer crap.
You're still on that huh?
I was not talking down to anybody, unlike you. I was simply stating my observations and experiences with these cars, and how I do not see an AWD car with less HP than lets say....an '05 GT, pull a higher trap speed and ET half a second less than a well driven GT with a 1.91 60'.
Its just not possible unless he has more boost or a few bolt-ons.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Just had a new V6 camaro run at the track yesterday and it ended up runn ing something miserable like 15s. It was sad

So I believe the OPs story easily.

As for an EVO vs a g35/g37. The OP doesnt realize that the new g35s/g37s are putting about 260-285whp depending on what dyno your referring to. They pull like a small v8 and they make power till redline. I used to work for an infiniti dealer and we took an 06 MR in on trade with 6500 miles on it that I drove a lot. The EVO performance wise is on another planet, even if its not going faster it feels faster but realisticaly it is not faster than a rwd g35 with vq35-hr motor or a g37 with the vq37-hr motor from a roll. From a dig we all know whats gonna happen. The Infiniti IS faster from a roll, I've actually done that race before.

But with 800 lbs of people in the car the Infiniti would lose BAD! This is all assuming equal driving ability
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

If the driver can launch the camaro even half decently the camaro will just be putting more and more length on the evo the faster they go. Only hope the evo has is from a dig with a guy who cant launch a rwd car.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Teching In

in my car i did 12.82 @ 107.41mph with an HKS catback, no tune, no other power mods, and a boost leak that i found later.

with the stock exhaust on i did 12.91 @ 106.8 still with the boost leak that i hadn't found yet.

13.5 for a stock 03-04 EVO 8 isn't a bad time, but it's capable of going a bit faster. 13.5 for an 05 EVO is not a good time. 13.5 for an 06 EVO IX is a bad driver. the first time i ever ran mine at the track, i made 3 passes and the best pass was a 13.6 @ like 103 or something. the only thing i modded was the driver. my next trip to the track, my best time was a 13.0 @ 105. then the next time i went to the track i did a 12.9 on my first run, then the 12.8 run. your buddy's not as good a driver as you think he is.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sciff5
Just had a new V6 camaro run at the track yesterday and it ended up runn ing something miserable like 15s. It was sad

So I believe the OPs story easily.

As for an EVO vs a g35/g37. The OP doesnt realize that the new g35s/g37s are putting about 260-285whp depending on what dyno your referring to. They pull like a small v8 and they make power till redline. I used to work for an infiniti dealer and we took an 06 MR in on trade with 6500 miles on it that I drove a lot. The EVO performance wise is on another planet, even if its not going faster it feels faster but realisticaly it is not faster than a rwd g35 with vq35-hr motor or a g37 with the vq37-hr motor from a roll. From a dig we all know whats gonna happen. The Infiniti IS faster from a roll, I've actually done that race before.

But with 800 lbs of people in the car the Infiniti would lose BAD! This is all assuming equal driving ability

i know what the G35's/G37's are putting down. the G37 is putting down the numbers you say. the G35 isn't. the guy with the story was talking about a G35. anyway, regardless of the power bump, i also know they are HEAVY. EVO IX's put down anywhere from 260-270+AWHP, and they weigh 300lbs less. the G35/G37 will lose to an EVO 9 all day long from a dig or from a roll. i've already proven this to a co-worker who had a 2008 G35 sedan that tried to run me after work. it wasn't even close.

that said, a G35/G37 would be a good match for the EVO X because they are slower in a straight line. from a roll it would probably pull the EVO X stock for stock...BUT, EVO X's have been picking up anywhere from 85-100whp with just a tune. DG motors and TTP engineering have been leading the way on tuning those things and the gains are ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Sorry to say but that guy can not drive for **** if the best he could pull out of a stock EVO IX is a 13.5. Hell...a friend of mine years ago pulled 13.0@99mph out of a BONE STOCK 03 EVO VIII and they are the slowest EVOs.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

lol @ evos and people with evos
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

**edit if the V6 is a 15sec car, it must be true then...**

The new SS will likely kill you.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
**edit if the V6 is a 15sec car, it must be true then...**

The new SS will likely kill you.
i dunno about all that. my car's got some speed left in it. i ran the 12.82 @ 107.41 with a boost leak and wet/cold tires. after the 1/4th mile, at around 110-120, yeah he should pull, but until then it's a driver's race.

but, that's an easy fix. lower IC pipe, and a tune will fix all that. lower IC pipe alone is worth around 10-12whp, and a good tune with my mods would be worth another 40+whp. more if i add a pound or two of boost, or even just hold the boost at a higher level till redline. it peaks at 20.1, but tapers off to around 15 stock.

but all of this is pretty irrelevant to me because while i'm competitive as hell, ultimately straight line speed isn't that important to me. the camaro can do what it wants on the straights, and it should because it's got way more motor (for now), but i would murder that thing around a road course, or an autocross course where it matters. it wouldn't even be fair. it would be like Lebron James playing against the MVP of the Handicapable Wheel Chair basketball league. sure the SS is quick in a straight line, but that's pretty much all it's good at.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Teching In

This thread is hilarious. All it needs is Wesman telling the OP about how his engine is going to blow any minute and this bad boy is sticky material. Although I'm still scratching my head when people call BS on a stock CT9A Evo hitting 12's and/or trapping 105mph+. That cat got out of the bag in late 2004.

BTW...I lol @ people who lol @ evos and people with evos
Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

12.8 basically stock and heavily modified is 12.0 territory? Not much benefit from going heavily modified.

Quick Reply: 2006 EVO IX MR vs 2010 Camaro V6