Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TWin 57's GTO vs. 67mil. Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWin 57's GTO vs. 67mil. Supra

The Supra has T67 turbo kit + DP, HKS 264 cams, valves seats, retainers etc, TRD catback, Ported head, Greedy FMIC, Stage V Auto Race Tranny, rebuilt short block Profec b Electronic boost cont.

We were heading to the track and got a couple runs in.

First Run:

60 roll in 3rd, we hit clean and he brake boost'd. He inches out by a fender. Top of 3rd i lift to shift and he jumps out by a car. Same thing happens in 4th and he jumps a half car going into 5th. We ran it out to 170.

Second run: 60 roll in 3rd. He dosent brake boost right, and lags. I Pull 3 cars and hold to 170.

THird run: Basically the same as first run.

I have a 200lb passenger, and my MT's slicks on 17's in the back seat vs. no passenger in Supra empty trunk. Im sure i could run @ least even with him without the weight deficit.

Q: Is it possible to shift without lifting off the throttle, and not messing up my tranny.

thoughts!? looks like im gonna try for 12lbs this fall, HPTurner logs say im only at 72 % duty on fuel...
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Good races, those two cars sound like no joke!

As for powershifting, I'm sure that even a perfect powershift will wear the trans faster (especially with alot of power), but it is possible for the trans to hold up pretty well as long as your not missing left and right and grinding the hell out of it.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, its called power shifting
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Powershift, fall back a bit, or swap for an A4.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Powershift, fall back a bit, or swap for an A4.
i like my m6 though.. lol
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

as long as you've got a good shifter the trans should be fine powershifting
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bravoboost

Q: Is it possible to shift without lifting off the throttle, and not messing up my tranny.

thoughts!? looks like im gonna try for 12lbs this fall, HPTurner logs say im only at 72 % duty on fuel...

Pretty much no it's not possible to powershift without hurting the tranny. It puts alot of stress on the drivetrain parts. And since you've never done it your going to screw up ALOT lol and that's going to put even more wear on the parts.

Nice races too
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bravoboost
i like my m6 though.. lol
your clutch will hate you and it wears trannies bad... buuut they make a thing called the tranzilla that LOVES to be powershifted.. try it out.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been powershifting since 16 years old. I have broken:

T5's(3 stock), 2 "world class".

1 T45

1 2002 C5 Z06

**** happens. All the ford products broke underload, well within the gear.

The vette trans in the Z06, broke cause my dumb *** missed a gear. Now, since then,.....I have owned 2 C5's, and I have powershifted(flat shifted) the ever living **** out of them, and many other six speed cars(viper,caddy's gen 1-2,C6z06's,etc) as well, without any issues. But, I honestly rarely ever miss a gear now. That has alot to do with it. But, as you mentioned, power level has alot to do with it as well, for the most part.

Powershifting, is key. If you can't powershift, it is still possible to time everthing just right and shift very fast...like how you would maybe a 1-2 shift. Those are gears that I rarely ever power shift, unless I am on a serious tire, and dead hooking. Otherwise, you'll just blow them off(tires). Every gear doesn't always have to be shifted that quickly as well. SOmetimes I will short shift my 1-2 but I will powershift them,..if that makes sense. Helps alot getting the car to stop spinning, and get things straight again, all within fractions of a second. Then the 2-3-3-4-and yes, 4th to 5th is crucial.

Lol. and speaking of 4-5th shifting, what is it with you cobra guys,...I rarely see a cobra river that can BANG 5th gear with me . I don't think I have yet, lol. Meaning that there done in 4th. Sucks, when your talking about what, 145 mph? Some of these street cars trap WAY more then that now a days. t's sucks when the person next to you in that SUPERpower car, is maxed out cause they can't make a simple gear selection.

If you don't quicken up, and shift quicker, you'll loose more races. Every boosted car needs to shift quick,....it's not like NA or nitrous where it's an instant hit in almost any rpm level. I have been in more street races then I can remember. Hundreds, maybe alot more. If there is one thing I have learned, No matter what kind of power your making, a well trained driver, will usually always win. I have seen my cousin Josh, who owns very high horsepower cars, race and beat all kinds of obviously faster cars, in his near stock GTO....power shifting his heart out, and leaving **** in the dust.

I have run my vette, from 450rwhp, to now 787rwhp(about to get a whole lot funkier soon),....all on the stock trans,....coupled with a wicked clutch, and a hurst shifter thats all i've got. When I brake it,...i'll look into a new ZR1 unit, or beef up my stock with a g-force or rpm. You could look into a stock second gen CTS-V(2009) as a posible ungrade for yourself.

Now go out and practice some serious shifting. I'm confident, from your description of the race, that if ou would have powershifted in that race,...you would have been at his door every shift,.....even with your pasenger and tire luggage.

Guaranteed
Old 08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

camaro...shows how NOT to shift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCg6jMKaFSc
Old 08-02-2009, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
camaro...shows how NOT to shift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCg6jMKaFSc
lol i dont shift that slow
i will practice tho
Old 08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=ht...&v=HPbHCw_TpeY

True,...just an example. If that camaro shifted alot quicker,..it would have been gone.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

did a few runs today, practice banging gears quicker and it seems like im on to sumthing. It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. THere arent too many places i can go in town to do this without hitting triple digits and going to jail. But i did enough to see that had i done this vs the supra i could have made a far better showing.

My buddy sent me the vids in a text message but im having difficulty getting it on the puter as of now. I can do it from work tomorrow but i just need a host. Youtube is blocked ( stupid Government computers ) Does anyone know of any other places i can host it from. ?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to hear the confidence. Now go fry some rice.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Got the vid.... they are camera phone, but better than nothing! .. Lemmie know what you guys think!!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I don't know how you computers work but in DSM's we can program a NLTS which means no lift to shift so the boost stays pretty high..

I'll find a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9N7liGEC-k

Pretty much it sets a rev limiter for in between shifts.

Say you redline at 7K, it would set a 6-6.5K NLTS so in between gears you don't lose as much boost
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
I don't know how you computers work but in DSM's we can program a NLTS which means no lift to shift so the boost stays pretty high..

I'll find a video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9N7liGEC-k

Pretty much it sets a rev limiter for in between shifts.

Say you redline at 7K, it would set a 6-6.5K NLTS so in between gears you don't lose as much boost
Boss!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

............in third gear, the cars speedo indicated 5mph faster when it used the power shift method.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

You need more boost.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
You need more boost.
How much more boost? ....im considering a BAP and 15lbs to accompany my 72lb'ers , walbro, and AEM resistor boxes
Thoughts