Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldnt agree more
Old 08-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by lemons12
But spinning also raises the trap by a lot
It seems that alot of people think this way, but I've never seen proof of it. In my hundreds of passes down the track I've never trapped better while spinning than I did while hooking up. I have seen cars loose a bit of mph going from a stiff sidewall drag radial to a slick with very low pressure, but that's due to rolling resistance, etc, not added traction. Can anyone show proof that blowing your tires off to the 330' mark is going to pick you up several mph? Mine always loses a bunch when that happens.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, there is a lot of ignorance in this thread..

plenty of stock ls1s have trapped 111mph..
now the OP is saying he pulled 1 length on a H/C M6 ls1 from a roll..
115+mph is not the norm for most " 'balts"..
you are spinning now and you think with a blower swap and making more power you will hook good enough for the 11s?
if you go up 5lbs in boost you only pick up 6-7rwhp.. thats nothing, not for your car weighing that.. on a street bike that weighs 400lbs thats a lot.. not on a car..
do you know how fast 118+mph trap are?
i dont believe the car makes 300rwhp..

You guys are a joke, plain and simple. Let me know when you get out of the fantasy world and come back down... As far as the little Ion.. I don't think it can do anything close to what you are saying.. I'm a H/C STALLED AUTO and I know for a fact you would look silly racing me, even from a roll. It's just funny that you actually think the car will trap 118mph by picking up 20rwhp or so..

Have fun.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
It seems that alot of people think this way, but I've never seen proof of it. In my hundreds of passes down the track I've never trapped better while spinning than I did while hooking up. I have seen cars loose a bit of mph going from a stiff sidewall drag radial to a slick with very low pressure, but that's due to rolling resistance, etc, not added traction. Can anyone show proof that blowing your tires off to the 330' mark is going to pick you up several mph? Mine always loses a bunch when that happens.
I was just about to say this same exact thing. Where the hell do people get this idea that spinning causes you to trap higher? I pretty much only go to rentals days where I get anywhere from 12-18 runs in each day and I spend the entire day working on launching from different RPMs, different tires pressures, slipping/dumping the clutch differently, etc, and I go anywhere from dead hooking to spinning slightly to just blasting the tires completely off the car, low 1.6 60's all the way up to 2.0s destroying the tires and I still trap within 1mph every run of the day unless the weather DRASTICALLY changes.

I don't even care if someone tries to show me proof that it's the case because I'll be more likely to believe something changed with the car or driver from run to run throughout the day than the trap speed was drastically affected in a positive way by the tires spinning. I've just run way too many 15-pass days at the track to be convinced otherwise.

Perhaps this rumour stems from the fact that if you crank up your tire pressure, you're more likely to spin a lot off the line but the increased pressure, which causes less rolling resistance, causes the car to trap higher, sometimes significantly depending on how drastic the tire pressure change is. But the increase in trap speed has nothing to do with the tires spinning; it has everything to do with the increased resistance caused by the tires making more contact with the ground.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 08-27-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

you are spinning now and you think with a blower swap and making more power you will hook good enough for the 11s?
if you go up 5lbs in boost you only pick up 6-7rwhp.. thats nothing, not for your car weighing that.. on a street bike that weighs 400lbs thats a lot.. not on a car..

You guys are a joke, plain and simple. Let me know when you get out of the fantasy world and come back down... As far as the little Ion.. I don't think it can do anything close to what you are saying.. I'm a H/C STALLED AUTO and I know for a fact you would look silly racing me, even from a roll. It's just funny that you actually think the car will trap 118mph by picking up 20rwhp or so..

Have fun.
Who said that his car is faster than a H/C LS1? I hope the OP didn't because he would get utterly destroyed by a H/C LS1. I am strictly talking about a bone stock FBDOY LS1 (that would NEVER trap 111 mph, spinning or not) or maybe one with a lid and cat-back. Anything more and that Ion would get beat.

I am talking reality as I witnessed these runs.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after this whole thread, i might just have to get on my local balt/ion forum & hook me up a race with someone with similar mods to slowlsj.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
after this whole thread, i might just have to get on my local balt/ion forum & hook me up a race with someone with similar mods to slowlsj.

chances are you would beat them lol
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all i have is headers and duals, 3.73's are barely a step up from 3.42s, so id be just a bit quicker than the car you raced. if i find a smiliarly modded one, it should show us whats up. if i walk one with me just having ~30 more hp than the car you raced, then something fishy is up.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fadi
Who said that his car is faster than a H/C LS1? I hope the OP didn't because he would get utterly destroyed by a H/C LS1.
Originally Posted by SlowLSJ
it would beat it pretty good, i wouldnt say "walk" when i raced my buddys 2000 M6 SS H/C i got it by a car and couldnt pull on it. i think he put down 370WHP

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
That car he beat was a header/cam car. I was talking about a head/cam/supporting mods.

Headers/cam/bad driver and it is possible..LOL

I never witnessed him racing a bolt on LS1 (headers +), but I have seen him race a stock one and I saw how he beat it. That is all I will say.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

The supercharged cobalts aren't quick on the stock blower. That's all I'm going to bother to say.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

lol and wat was the point in saying that?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Have fun.
LoL who is a fantasy world im not talking about an lsj traping 115+ im talking about the LNF traping 115+ with tune and bolt ons and that is the norm...Go on Cobaltss.net and check it out. "Plain and simple your a joke" - stay classy man
Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes down to it. The Balt/ION are still Female sports cars IMO and no matter what it's just like a mustang. I don't care if they run 9's, they're still slow!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

well i didnt know H/C stood for heads cam. not headers and cam lol

sorry for the confusion. i raced a headers cam LS1 and beat it
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
When it comes down to it. The Balt/ION are still Female sports cars IMO and no matter what it's just like a mustang. I don't care if they run 9's, they're still slow!
\facepalm
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowLSJ
well i didnt know H/C stood for heads cam. not headers and cam lol

sorry for the confusion. i raced a headers cam LS1 and beat it
its
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know what stock ls1 in a fbody trap 111 mph??? I would say maby a frc vette with slicks but im no expert lol. Im not callin Bs I just want to see it lol. There was a cobalt here that ran mid 12's but he had major upgrades. Ie ported blower, heat exchanger, meth, cam, header full exhaust, and head work. Sounded dam good but he disappeard of the sene.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fadi
or maybe one with a lid and cat-back. Anything more and that Ion would get beat.
camaro has a airlid and catback, the ion has stage 2 with a few bolt ons this is with my old setup from last year

enjoy

sorry for the video being so dark but you get the idea

All I'm trying to say is something is not adding up to me.. I'm not saying the car can't/can do anything.. I am just going by what I am seeing being posted, what I am seeing being produced from other Ions (ie. drag times, trap speeds, races, watching the speedo climb, rwhp #s, etc etc etc) and it just doesn't add up.. Also I think the Ion owner is VERY inexperienced with what it takes to run somewhat quick/fast times, such as doing a pulley swap and only picking up 20rwhp or so and running 4+mph faster, just not going to happen.

But its cool, I'm not threatened by an Ion... Just curious is all..

Also Fadi, I saw where the Ion kid said you had 1000rwhp or something to that affect, I thought you were close to stock?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

All I'm trying to say is something is not adding up to me.. I'm not saying the car can't/can do anything.. I am just going by what I am seeing being posted, what I am seeing being produced from other Ions (ie. drag times, trap speeds, races, watching the speedo climb, rwhp #s, etc etc etc) and it just doesn't add up.. Also I think the Ion owner is VERY inexperienced with what it takes to run somewhat quick/fast times, such as doing a pulley swap and only picking up 20rwhp or so and running 4+mph faster, just not going to happen.

But its cool, I'm not threatened by an Ion... Just curious is all..

Also Fadi, I saw where the Ion kid said you had 1000rwhp or something to that affect, I thought you were close to stock?
The OP said I have a 1000 rwhp?? Show me where so I can slap him silly.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ion Redline S/C vs 2002 camaro SS Vid*