Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

0-2 Last night :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ_Seph
Oh, you must go to the Poly campus then.
Yes Sir.

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Your IAT's should be pretty close to ambient. You need to relocate your sensor no way it should ever be that high. I relocated mine right in front of the wiper fluid reservoir and a ton of my heat soak issues disappeared. No more lean idle after my car sits when I run in the store.
close to ambient? My tuner told me about 30* more then the outside temp. so 138 ish. Plus, I am missing a KEY part to this car....the air dam. Old owner took it off, so I just re-ordered a new one. Its at my parents house, so I'll be putting it on this weekend.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why should it ever be 30 degrees more than the air the car is breathing? You are getting heat soak from the radiator and this is not the true temperature of the air going into your engine. If you look up on hptuners anything much above 100 degree IAT's it starts to pull timing. You're running n/a not a turbo or supercharger. If you want a more consistant car you need to relocate the IAT sensor to get a more accurate representation of the actual air going into the engine.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

How would I go about relocating it? I have a SLP MAF that is reading the IAT there.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting topic. what would happen if you unplugged the iat alltogether?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Why should it ever be 30 degrees more than the air the car is breathing? You are getting heat soak from the radiator and this is not the true temperature of the air going into your engine. If you look up on hptuners anything much above 100 degree IAT's it starts to pull timing. You're running n/a not a turbo or supercharger. If you want a more consistant car you need to relocate the IAT sensor to get a more accurate representation of the actual air going into the engine.
Not to be a *****, btu you never answered my Q. I've never heard of that before, so I'm interested in how different IAT's affect A/F.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

just have the car tuned speed density. that sh*t works wonders with the ls motors
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Not to be a *****, btu you never answered my Q. I've never heard of that before, so I'm interested in how different IAT's affect A/F.
Sorry I missed your question earlier, I was not ignoring you. GM has compensation factors for your fuel trims based on intake air temperature. The IAT sensor in the factory location sits right above the radiator. Say you run into the grocery store for 10 minutes to go buy something. Now you come back after and now your IAT's read 120 degrees when it is really only 80 degrees out. The computer thinks the temperature getting into your engine is 120 degrees so it subtracts the amount of fuel (hotter air less dense, need less fuel to maintain stoichemetric AFR of 14.7:1). I have seen my wideband go very very lean when the IAT sensor heat soaks; 17 + AFR and the car runs like crap. This is mostly a problem when you are running Open loop speed density.

Since your IAT sensor is in your MAF I guess your tuner would just have to compensate for the higher temps. Oh ya dont unplug your IAT sensor or it will read -33 degrees and your car will not even run, or it will be really really rich. Trust me I tried it haha.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
just have the car tuned speed density. that sh*t works wonders with the ls motors
I drive alot. Phoenix is like 1k elevation, but I am going home to SV which is 4600 elevation this weekend. Let alone any trips I may make out to El Paso, Albuquerque, ect.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Speed Density FTL. D:

And I'm still learning car lingo. IAT?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Inlet Air Temp (I think). Where were you tonight? We had some runs. Didn't get to avenge my lose to the mullet though....missed 3rd . Was dead even through 2nd, but failed hitting 3rd.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the hell are you doing with Nittos on that setup?! You need some Mickey Thompsons.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
So last night I went to Hooters to meet up with some other car people.
When a race story starts out this way, you know it's gonna be good

Good loses, nothing wrong with losing to a couple badass cars. Are you even on drag radials or are they the regular 555's?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

I myself am on the 555r tire and DEAD HOOK in sand on the street
I cant remember what the stang runs for tire

but I'm planning on making up for Aznmuscle's loss to the stang for him in a couple weeks
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Yeah, the Nitto DR's hook up alot better for the auto cars than the stick cars. If AznMuscle is on the regular 555's and not even the drag radials then he should just run away from every dig challenge that comes up, haha.

I've gotten the Nittos to work ok with my car, but they are by far not optimal. Like PSM said, a set of MT drag radials will pick up most of the slack nicely
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Inlet Air Temp (I think). Where were you tonight? We had some runs. Didn't get to avenge my lose to the mullet though....missed 3rd . Was dead even through 2nd, but failed hitting 3rd.
would not have mattered anyway......I was creeping out on ya
not fast by no means but I still wasn't into the sweet spot yet...my car moves out on the top.

Tell you what I'll run you again sat night any race you want after mike re-tunes it
but I have a strong feeling you will tally up another L
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Yeah, the Nitto DR's hook up alot better for the auto cars than the stick cars. If AznMuscle is on the regular 555's and not even the drag radials then he should just run away from every dig challenge that comes up, haha.

I've gotten the Nittos to work ok with my car, but they are by far not optimal. Like PSM said, a set of MT drag radials will pick up most of the slack nicely
He's not on dr....he on regular street tire
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by myslow92
In that case I will give him the same advice I give everyone who doesn't have drag radials...Get drag radials.

Haha, seriously though, if he can swing the extra money from having to change rear tires more often, the MT's are lightyears ahead of the Nittos. If he drives the car a real lot (daily driver) then the Nittos are the obvious choice, though.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myslow92
Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
In that case I will give him the same advice I give everyone who doesn't have drag radials...Get drag radials.

Haha, seriously though, if he can swing the extra money from having to change rear tires more often, the MT's are lightyears ahead of the Nittos. If he drives the car a real lot (daily driver) then the Nittos are the obvious choice, though.
Again, MICKEY THOMPSON. It's the only way to go if you're serious about traction, especially in a 6-speed car on the street.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

I know I know I know....and Joe Dirt...I'll be in SV this weekend. And No, I don't feel like loosing to the new tune. Though the 2nd text I got from Mike was saying he is putting my car in kill mode...I want another shot at the cobra, your car, and I want to run Wyatts.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

I know I know I know....and Joe Dirt...I'll be in SV this weekend. And No, I don't feel like loosing to the new tune. Though the 2nd text I got from Mike was saying he is putting my car in kill mode...I want another shot at the cobra, your car, and I want to run Wyatts.
Good run last night, I thought you were gonna beat me by 2 busses. 40 roll sucks for my car so we will have to try a dig race next time we meet in Mexico!