Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08' GT vs 10' SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
as long as it's a ford modular it will be quite limited without FI
What do you know about this motor, if anything at all? The main problems with the modulars were the heads. These are completely new.

I know a lot of 05+ GTs making awesome N/A power. I am not sure why the new 5.0 will have any problems.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I know a lot of people personally that are attempting to get them HUGE back order.
There are so many of those cars, it doesn't surprise me that they are on back order. I would be hugely surprised if even 5% of 2v's had those heads a couple of years from now.

There aren't really many Fbodys that are still stock on this site. I don't think an NA 2V is ever going to give most of us anything to worry about.

I am trying to be rude, I am just being realistic. I am not saying LS1's are the baddest cars on the street, but 2Vs just don't present alot of competition for us stock.

Read some info about those heads. It puts 2v in the same times as stock LS1 cars. They've already taken a stock 2v and bolted on these heads and gotten these numbers. Now, having said that I believe it had a mid-pip-exhaust mod. But that was it.
You misunderstood me. As I said, there just aren't enough people that are going to be putting those on their cars.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know a lot of 05+ GTs making awesome N/A power. I am not sure why the new 5.0 will have any problems.
Comparitively speaking, mod motors don't really make awesome N/A power.

I would love to see the new Mustang benifit from internal mods. I think the fact will still remain that the money would be better spent going FI. Mods motors have always been expensive when you start doing things internally.

I probably sound like I am bashing Fords. I don't mean to come off like that. My first car had a 390FE in it, and I learned most of what I know about engines from that car.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Worked on alot of Ford small and bigblock engines> That 390 was always one of my favorites! Great torque with good rpm capabilities... always seemed to run better than its hp numbers suggested it should. Kinda like the 302's that everyone knows about.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Worked on alot of Ford small and bigblock engines> That 390 was always one of my favorites! Great torque with good rpm capabilities... always seemed to run better than its hp numbers suggested it should. Kinda like the 302's that everyone knows about.
That car needed an engine with a lot of torque. It was in a 1966 Galaxie 500 (big *** car). I had a lot of fun with it. The bench seats were awesome back in high school .
Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Juicy J
There are so many of those cars, it doesn't surprise me that they are on back order. I would be hugely surprised if even 5% of 2v's had those heads a couple of years from now.
Of every 10 NewEdge body style Mustangs I see, only 1 or 2 are GTs. So probably less than that. Having said that, those that own GTs that are more opt to race people, are also more opt to get these installed.
There aren't really many Fbodys that are still stock on this site. I don't think an NA 2V is ever going to give most of us anything to worry about.
Oh, definitely not. But when they start adding other mods, it will start to even out.
I am trying to be rude, I am just being realistic. I am not saying LS1's are the baddest cars on the street, but 2Vs just don't present alot of competition for us stock.
Not rude at all. Just stating the facts. I would have said the same thing.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Comparitively speaking, mod motors don't really make awesome N/A power.
Well the stock 2v anyhow. Those 5.4l DOHC mod motors make enough N/A power on their own. The new 5.0 is known to be underrated as well. Most of the problems the mod motors had were the heads. Even with the 3v ones.
I would love to see the new Mustang benifit from internal mods.
Well any car will benefit from internal mods. The 2v, once the heads are changed, benefits greatly. The 2v 4.7 with new cams, crank, etc will gain a decent amount of HP and torque, but then it will only = the LS1 stock. Now with these new twisted wedge heads, going n/a with the 2v means much more. Again, they are getting LS1 speeds with just a head swap.
I think the fact will still remain that the money would be better spent going FI. Mods motors have always been expensive when you start doing things internally.
With ANY motor you are going to get more gains from a blower than you would keeping it N/A. For less money too.

Now does the LS1 give better results for the changes? sure. But it's also a bigger engine.

The 4.7 v8 is really a small V8. Ford could have done more with the 4.7 mod motor if it had better heads to work with. The LS1 has decent heads from the start. Having said that, LS1 based cars were also more expensive at the time as well. So should they be.

Last edited by Ke^in; 12-13-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Now with these new twisted wedge heads, going n/a with the 2v means much more. Again, they are getting LS1 speeds with just a head swap.
With ANY motor you are going to get more gains from a blower than you would keeping it N/A. For less money too.
Wow. My '98 sure could use those heads...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

that's a v8. and what i've seen from the auto ss, this vid is likely legit. the autos are hurting units.
OK, and from what I've seen at E-Town stock auto's running low 13 @106+ and with an intake 13.0's 109. Show me the mustang with an intake that can do that... Let alone win by 8-10 cars lol

Either a girl driver, or it's a V6.. Maybe even a girl driver in a V6. That was total destruction, not a beat down.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

What do you know about this motor, if anything at all? The main problems with the modulars were the heads. These are completely new.

define awesome n\a power.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
OK, and from what I've seen at E-Town stock auto's running low 13 @106+ and with an intake 13.0's 109. Show me the mustang with an intake that can do that... Let alone win by 8-10 cars lol

Either a girl driver, or it's a V6.. Maybe even a girl driver in a V6. That was total destruction, not a beat down.
they're not all running that. it is well documented that a good amount of l99 camaros suffer from tuning issues. the one i raced would have got beat by an intake only gt
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by myk
Wow. My '98 sure could use those heads...
And any 2v stang can use them. Not just the newedge
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Camaro came around on the top in that roll race though. I'm guessing that Camaro finally hit a good downshift and was able to slow the initial hit of the manual trans Mustang. I love Camaros, but there is no way in hell the new V6 is coming around an 08 GT at 140. I say that was an L99 SS.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

IDK how the new camaro L99s with the auto run, but I have a hard time believing that S197 has CAI and tune only to pull like that.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
IDK how the new camaro L99s with the auto run, but I have a hard time believing that S197 has CAI and tune only to pull like that.
some of the l99's run quite poor. seen it with my own eyes.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

some of the l99's run quite poor. seen it with my own eyes.
sounds lke driver error to me.

been at E-Town on weekdays for magazine shoots Have witnessed three auto SS's bone stock, different times of the year, different drivers, etc. all run within .2 of another and vary from 12.9-13.2 all running 106+ 60' from 1.99-2.10 these cars don't spin at all. it's about planting your foot and holding on, driven them stock and modded have run one with heads and cam down to 11.8 @120. If you're seeing these slow SS's running 14 second 1/4's it's got to be the drivers, not "tuning issues.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I have an 06 gt with CAI, TUNE, UDP, O/R X, 390's running 12.9 at 106 i would think that i would out run a new SS by a couple of cars at the dallas tracks they are running 13.5's at 103 range and 8.9 - 9.1's in the 1/8....one thing we have to rem about the vid is that the SS had 3 people in it which would kill it from any dig or low roll race...and like the other post said there is noway that a v6 is coming around a GT on the top end like that..my friend has a v6 and its a couple of bus lengths legit bus lengths by 100 and getting worse
Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
sounds lke driver error to me.

been at E-Town on weekdays for magazine shoots Have witnessed three auto SS's bone stock, different times of the year, different drivers, etc. all run within .2 of another and vary from 12.9-13.2 all running 106+ 60' from 1.99-2.10 these cars don't spin at all. it's about planting your foot and holding on, driven them stock and modded have run one with heads and cam down to 11.8 @120. If you're seeing these slow SS's running 14 second 1/4's it's got to be the drivers, not "tuning issues.
it's an auto-- lets see. he turned the TC completely off. absolutely zero spin off the line. lets the computer shift. it runs slow. on something that simple, where is the driver error?

and there have been numerous tuning issues reported with l99's. GM is even aware of it.
www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37786&highlight=l99+tune+issues

some have it, and some dont. therefore it stands to reason that you will see some run very well, and some not.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

it's an auto-- lets see. he turned the TC completely off. absolutely zero spin off the line. lets the computer shift. it runs slow. on something that simple, where is the driver error?
That's one argument I've never understood either. If a driver does all of the above what else is there to do?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

and there have been numerous tuning issues reported with l99's. GM is even aware of it.
www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37786&highlight=l99+tune+issues

some have it, and some dont. therefore it stands to reason that you will see some run very well, and some not.
Originally Posted by myk
That's one argument I've never understood either. If a driver does all of the above what else is there to do?
+1 driver error in an auto...wtf? If he's manually shifting that bitch maybe, btu outside of that....wtf?

Quick Reply: 08' GT vs 10' SS