Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08' GT vs 10' SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperstang16
I have an 06 gt with CAI, TUNE, UDP, O/R X, 390's running 12.9 at 106
Nice. I've seen a few S197 that are modded a bit more getting mid 12s.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading most of those L99 complaint threads I can see how a Mustang GT could take one out. Some of those guys are posting up dyno numbers in the low 290's rwhp! With a near 4000 pound car thats disasterous... Dyno #'s are ranging from 290-340rwhp for L99's, and the LS3's are 340-370rwhp. GM's computer tunes are F*ed up, cars keep thinking they are running low octane gas so the ECU yanks out timing.

Good Kill OP!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=sleeperstang16;12622408]I have an 06 gt with CAI, TUNE, UDP, O/R X, 390's running 12.9 at 106 i would think that i would out run a new SS by a couple of cars at the dallas tracks they are running 13.5's at 103 range and 8.9 - 9.1's in the 1/8....one thing we have to rem about the vid is that the SS had 3 people in it which would kill it from any dig or low roll race...and like the other post said there is noway that a v6 is coming around a GT on the top end like that..my friend has a v6 and its a couple of bus lengths legit bus lengths by 100 and getting worse[/QUOTE

I just want to clarify that I stated the SS "MUST" have had 3 more people in it to get pulled like that, the driver was a complete moron, or the GT was packing more than he claimed...I'd like to see a run between that GT and another "SS", to see if it was just a shotty tune
Old 12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Oh, definitely not. But when they start adding other mods, it will start to even out.
The 99-04 4.6 twin-cam will never be on par with LS1 performance. Overall that is, nope not even close. I do however admire your fanboyism for the modular 2-valve though. It's inspiring.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Demon 383
The 99-04 4.6 twin-cam will never be on par with LS1 performance. Overall that is, nope not even close.
Not stock no. But with the Trick-Flow twisted wedge heads, it's already happened. Having said that, these heads are brand-new. And cost 2k new. You probably wont be seeing a lot of NewEdges with them at first.
I do however admire your fanboyism for the modular 2-valve though. It's inspiring.
100% silly, and another baseless accusation. Seriously, do some research on Trick Flow 2v twisted wedge heads, then come back to us. Do some searches of my posts about LSX cars and how I practically worship their ability to get N/A power.

Not a fanboy for Ford. I have no ties to any company.

Last edited by Ke^in; 12-15-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
After reading most of those L99 complaint threads I can see how a Mustang GT could take one out. Some of those guys are posting up dyno numbers in the low 290's rwhp! With a near 4000 pound car thats disasterous... Dyno #'s are ranging from 290-340rwhp for L99's, and the LS3's are 340-370rwhp. GM's computer tunes are F*ed up, cars keep thinking they are running low octane gas so the ECU yanks out timing.

Good Kill OP!
What happened to Camaro's being under-rated? This makes sense as to why I am seeing a lot of 2010 kills by N/A S197 Mustangs.

What is this I hear about a 450-500hp Camaro coming out? I can't see Chevy letting Ford get ahead with the new 5.0.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon 383
The 99-04 4.6 twin-cam will never be on par with LS1 performance. Overall that is, nope not even close. I do however admire your fanboyism for the modular 2-valve though. It's inspiring.

Not stock no. But with the Trick-Flow twisted wedge heads, it's already happened.

100% silly, and another baseless accusation. Seriously, do some research on Trick Flow 2v twisted wedge heads, then come back to us.
i checked it out! they help cure impotence, male pattern baldness, acute liberalism and also help cure cancer without getting herpes. and they also turn a sucky 2v into a less sucky 2v.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

What happened to Camaro's being under-rated? This makes sense as to why I am seeing a lot of 2010 kills by N/A S197 Mustangs.

What is this I hear about a 450-500hp Camaro coming out? I can't see Chevy letting Ford get ahead with the new 5.0.
again. they are having tuning issues with l99's. from 290rwhp to alot of 320ish
the autos are hurting.

the ls3's though are running 370+
Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Big hammer, read this

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1161536

I bought my 2v because I knew these heads were coming. Having said that, I am actually looking into a supercharger now, and little more money than the heads, but with even more gain. I will eventually be getting the heads, but this will be later on.

Don't get me wrong, I am speaking about keeping up with STOCK LS1 cars with a 2-3k head-swap. I am not referring to a stock 2v mustang beating a stock LSx car. Simply doesn't happen. No way, no how. However, modified 2vs are beating stock LS1 cars.

I do however realize that you put 4k in the LS1 that I put in the 2v, and it's going to be faster than the 2v too.

No fanboyisms going on here. Not looking to build a monster. Only want 350-380rwhp out of my 2v. Which isn't that hard to do. Will it beat stock LSx cars? Sure. But once they have any decent mods on them, forget about it.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Big hammer, read this

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1161536

I bought my 2v because I knew these heads were coming. Having said that, I am actually looking into a supercharger now, and little more money than the heads, but with even more gain. I will eventually be getting the heads, but this will be later on.

Don't get me wrong, I am speaking about keeping up with STOCK LS1 cars with a 2-3k head-swap. I am not referring to a stock 2v mustang beating a stock LSx car. Simply doesn't happen. No way, no how. However, modified 2vs are beating stock LS1 cars.

I do however realize that you put 4k in the LS1 that I put in the 2v, and it's going to be faster than the 2v too.

No fanboyisms going on here. Not looking to build a monster. Only want 350-380rwhp out of my 2v. Which isn't that hard to do. Will it beat stock LSx cars? Sure. But once they have any decent mods on them, forget about it.
**** you're better off with that over an expensive-*** 4v

and yeah it makes them better but it doesn't make them killers. and the chances of running into a 2v with thses heads is fairly slim.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Same heads for Chevys

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/t...est/index.html

Originally Posted by big hammer
**** you're better off with that over an expensive-*** 4v
Why? When these heads flow more than a 4v.
and yeah it makes them better but it doesn't make them killers.
Right... not killer. They can keep up with STOCK LS1 cars with these. Not beat them.
and the chances of running into a 2v with thses heads is fairly slim.
Unless you are on the track.

For example, I don't know many Fox body 5.0 cars today that go to the track that DON'T have twisted wedge heads.

Last edited by Ke^in; 12-15-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Here is a guy that got some, and is dynoing his N/A 2v

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...o-results.html

330rwhp with just exhaust and headers, and these twisted wedge heads. That was unheard of with 2vs a year ago. FULL BOLTON 2v were only making 260-280rwhp. And this car has more N/A mods he can do.

This isn't being a 2v fanboy. This is just stating the facts/numbers. I realize the 2v GT isn't much to brag about. But we finally got decent heads. And the heads are what was slowing down the 4.6 because even the PI heads stunk.

Last edited by Ke^in; 12-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Same heads for Chevys

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/t...est/index.html

Why? When these heads flow more than a 4v.

Right... not killer. They can keep up with STOCK LS1 cars with these. Not beat them.

Unless you are on the track.

For example, I don't know many Fox body 5.0 cars today that go to the track that DON'T have twisted wedge heads.
i said you're better off with these heads over a 4v---
Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not looking to build a monster. Only want 350-380rwhp out of my 2v. Which isn't that hard to do. Will it beat stock LSx cars? Sure. But once they have any decent mods on them, forget about it.
Yeah, that's what I've always wanted to do with mine, which was make the Mustang the car it should've been from the factory. If I could have a healthy 300 hp car I'd be happy with that...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by myk
Yeah, that's what I've always wanted to do with mine, which was make the Mustang the car it should've been from the factory. If I could have a healthy 300 hp car I'd be happy with that...
Bingo. Not looking to really race. Just want to make my GT a bit faster. Being that it's a NewEdge, it will be a sleeper too
Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a guy that got some, and is dynoing his N/A 2v

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...o-results.html

330rwhp with just exhaust and headers, and these twisted wedge heads. That was unheard of with 2vs a year ago. FULL BOLTON 2v were only making 260-280rwhp. And this car has more N/A mods he can do.

This isn't being a 2v fanboy. This is just stating the facts/numbers. I realize the 2v GT isn't much to brag about. But we finally got decent heads. And the heads are what was slowing down the 4.6 because even the PI heads stunk.
Heads arent the biggest issue. having SIXTY less cubes is. 4v heads flow similar to ls heads. You guys have comparable intakes as well.

But a mod motor that makes 1.2 hp per cube makes 337 hp

The same ls motor that makes 1.2 hp per cube makes 415 hp

Good friend of mine NEVERENUFF has a 420-440 rwhp N/A mod motor.

What did it take?

Big bore Livernois heads Huge cams sullivan intake High compression ARH Headers 7.5k rpms Manual trans.

Thats about as nasty a NA mod motor as your going to find.

Going to be a very fast car when it gets sorted out.

But again, the equivalent Ls motor would clear 500 pretty easy. Cubes sir... Cubes.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Hmm...I dunno. I just couldn't fathom spending 3 to 4k on mods just to run on par with a stock or very-near stock LS1. I'd probably put that 4k towards a blower build and atleast put down over 400rwhp. Or even sell the 2-valve and put the extra 3-4k towards a nice 98-02 F-body. That's just me though.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
Hmm...I dunno. I just couldn't fathom spending 3 to 4k on mods just to run on par with a stock or very-near stock LS1. I'd probably put that 4k towards a blower build and atleast put down over 400rwhp. Or even sell the 2-valve and put the extra 3-4k towards a nice 98-02 F-body. That's just me though.
Most people also spend less on their house then you did on your car.

People just drive what you like you know? 2v's with these heads and minor bolt ons will pull a stock fbody pretty easy.

I think a decent HCI 2v would run 11's pretty reasonably. TONS of HCI fbodys run that.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Most people also spend less on their house then you did on your car.

People just drive what you like you know? 2v's with these heads and minor bolt ons will pull a stock fbody pretty easy.
I'm guessing you live in a mobile home for that kind of money? Or some small rural town in the south or midwest? Here in CA you can't find anything modern & decent for under $200k these days, even with the economy the way it is. So kudos to you!

Anyhow, it was just my opinion, and I think it was a very logical one at that. I owned a Highland Green 2001 Bullitt car #76 brand new off the showroom. Been there, done that. I know all about the 4.6 twin-cam powerplant and what they can do. I won't knock Ke^in for wanting to stick with his current car but from experience I just felt I had to throw that out there.

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
I think a decent HCI 2v would run 11's pretty reasonably. TONS of HCI fbodys run that.
What is your idea of decent? Believe it or not, MOST H/C/I 2-valves out there don't run 11's. They run in the low 12's. That's what I was running with a DSS Explorer aluminum shortblock, ported stockers, custom comp cams and a host of other mods. With todays technology i'm sure there are more cars out there in the 11's, but for the money I can't honestly say it's worth it.

Just FYI: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...out/index.html
Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
I'm guessing you live in a mobile home for that kind of money? Or some small rural town in the south or midwest? Here in CA you can't find anything modern & decent for under $200k these days, even with the economy the way it is. So kudos to you!

4 bedroom 2 story 2 door garage good sized back yard.

Not "great" as far as interior quality. Basically cheap on things like windows and carpet. 112,000k City has 110k

Anyhow, it was just my opinion, and I think it was a very logical one at that. I owned a Highland Green 2001 Bullitt car #76 brand new off the showroom. Been there, done that. I know all about the 4.6 twin-cam powerplant and what they can do. I won't knock Ke^in for wanting to stick with his current car but from experience I just felt I had to throw that out there.

Was just giving the other side of the coin. And owning a bullitt doesnt mean you " know all about" anything.

What is your idea of decent? Believe it or not, MOST H/C/I 2-valves out there don't run 11's. They run in the low 12's. That's what I was running with a DSS Explorer aluminum shortblock, ported stockers, custom comp cams and a host of other mods. With todays technology i'm sure there are more cars out there in the 11's, but for the money I can't honestly say it's worth it.

I was talking about a HCI 2v with the trickflow heads.

Just out of curiosity what did that zr1 run stock huh? Did you ever track it stock?

Just FYI: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...out/index.html

And you do realize the guy that ran 12 flat had small cams and STOCK heads.

Quick Reply: 08' GT vs 10' SS