Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 C5 vs 06 GTO 6.0... how did I lose? (TURNS OUT HES NOT STOCK!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Im thankful I haven't broken anything yet in the drivetrain. I usually sidestep the clutch at around 4,000rpm's. the best 60ft. I pulled in the goat is 1.69

and in the stalled LT1 ta footbraking it was 1.8's. so she's hooking pretty good. The goat was alittle more consistant with the mt et street's bias ply's, but now Im running the hoosier dr's. They look almost exatly like the mt bias ply's I was running, but Im still trying to figure out what exact air pressure to run them out, I'll have to wait until spring to figure it all the way out.

The MT's liked 16lbs. in them, but it seems like the hoosiers like alittle more pressure in them. Here is a vid of a couple of us getting together this last fall, Im running the hoosiers. and the last vid is of me running against a 440rwhp 04 cobra. Im on the mt's there...
<videos clipped>
Awesomeness.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I probably wrote it already - a C5Z will put 2 CLs on a full bolt-on GTO (I/E/T). Stock GTO has no chance whatsoever.

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Well... this is one of the best times I know of...
12.76 at 111.96

A GTO on the other hand I don't think has ever broke 110mph in the 1/4 if memory serves?
And that was with a 2.0 60ft. I think an FRC could do even better.

As far as I can tell, correct on the GTO.

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
A GTO has broken 110 mph stock and dipped under 12.9.

And LOL at HES NOT STOCK!!!! When its a CAI kit is all he has.
Originally Posted by Ke^in
Awesomeness.
In any sanctioned racing series if it said the vehicle must be bone stock, a CAI equipped car would be DQ'd before the hood was all the way up at tech inspection. NOT stock.

Weight reduction, shift kit, etc, doesn't count.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure why I was quoted.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I know about running 12.8 but 110? Link? Proof?

Edit: I hope you don't mean with Drag Radials because Tudds pulled that off with a 'stock' f-body as well... but that's not what is being discussed here.
Whats so hard to believe about a car that can pull 12.8s stock being able to pull 110 stock? All of this info used to be easy to get to on the boards but now its in a horrible format but heres a link to it all.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...66&postcount=5
Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I probably wrote it already - a C5Z will put 2 CLs on a full bolt-on GTO (I/E/T). Stock GTO has no chance whatsoever.

And that was with a 2.0 60ft. I think an FRC could do even better.

As far as I can tell, correct on the GTO.

In any sanctioned racing series if it said the vehicle must be bone stock, a CAI equipped car would be DQ'd before the hood was all the way up at tech inspection. NOT stock.

Weight reduction, shift kit, etc, doesn't count.
I was just giving the OP **** because he posted up he wasnt stock like the guy had a stroker motor or something. A CAI isnt even worth mentioning seeing that they may add 5 hp.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Whats so hard to believe about a car that can pull 12.8s stock being able to pull 110 stock? All of this info used to be easy to get to on the boards but now its in a horrible format but heres a link to it all.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...66&postcount=5
That's proof of nothing... that list is in a horrible format and there is no designation nor 'proof' of bone stock, there is only an 'OEM' classification which allows for drag radials. I've seen the 110mph claims before and the two I am aware of had the help of drag radials (yet they were still bone stock )... as I said if that's the case then 'bone stock' Camaros have gone 12.69@110mph Camaro trapping 110mph 'stock' before and the guy posts on this very site.

I've spent time searching on the very site you linked... I made it back to 2005 and still havn't found a single occurance posted. If you can find a thread, a post, whatever by someone with a slip who ran 110mph 100% bone stock I would like to see it.

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 01-08-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

That's proof of nothing... that list is in a horrible format and there is no designation nor 'proof' of bone stock, there is only an 'OEM' classification which allows for drag radials. I've seen the 110mph claims before and the two I am aware of had the help of drag radials (yet they were still bone stock )... as I said if that's the case then 'bone stock' Camaros have gone 12.69@110mph Camaro trapping 110mph 'stock' before and the guy posts on this very site.

I've spent time searching on the very site you linked... I made it back to 2005 and still havn't found a single occurance posted. If you can find a thread, a post, whatever by someone with a slip who ran 110mph 100% bone stock I would like to see it.
Believe me I know how horrible it is. I hate it and it used to be easy to look info up until that happened. I have no desire to try and prove anything about it to you as it has happened and more than once. I still dont see why its so hard to believe. I even had a WS6 that 110 bone stock. Its funny how everyone thinks GTOs are incapable of running the same times as Vettes or f bodies when the 3 cars are a damn drivers race, they are identical in drag racing times.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Just so you know that I am getting it, your just not getting me. Here is my earlier quote from my 1st. post.

"I do believe in stock form a c5z06 will pull a stock or pretty stock LS2 goat,if it doesn't win the dig, it will start pulling before the 1/8th. and from a roll I believe it would pull it pretty steady".

One more:

"Re read my post. I said a stock gto shouldn't hang with a stock c5zo6.
Plus your 01 zo6 with ziptied exhaust wouldn't trap 116 here in kansas city. Sorry but with your mods the 114mph goat would walk you".

And last quote from one of my prev. post:

"That z06 would be mid-hi 12's on slicks HERE, Im guessing high 12's. Hell it's not hard to get a stock goat to run high 12's at ATCO or some sea level track. but HERE they avg. mid 13's at around 103mph. stockish".

Get what Im saying? Im comparing here to ATCO or A Sea Level TRACK.

No need to hate on the goat. And I agree that a c5Z06 w/a decent driver should pull on a goat. Never said it wouldn't. All I disagree about was camaroracer91 comparing his pretty much stockish 117mph trap speed to my built 114 trap speed. That's comparing apples to oranges. Different tracks, diff,sea level. That's the part I believe your getting me confused at. I know a stock c5z06 will out trap a stock LS2 gto,I repeat, I never said in my post it wouldn't. And I know 114mph. trap speed isn't ****, but it's not bad for the mods and air here in the midwest,I hung w/a LS3 stock vette on the highway from 60-160 so it doesn't do too bad. but put my car at atco and it would prob. be knocking on 120mph's door in good weather,and the best of conditions.But like I said, No stock c5z06 will trap 117-119 here in KC.No matter who is driving it. Hell I watched a new black zr1 here in kc over the fall run 3-4 times on street tires, and it only trapped 122mph,at a best of 12.0 sec. Im sure it was the driver, but who know's. Iv'e watched plenty of stock LS3 base vette 6 speeds, and they trap from 113-114 here. Just saying. But we all know they will trap higher at a lower sea level track.

ok we are on the same page now..my track here in hawaii was slow as well...my 378 rwhp c5 only trapped 111 mph here..but it was enough to run dead even with stock C5z06's
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Believe me I know how horrible it is. I hate it and it used to be easy to look info up until that happened. I have no desire to try and prove anything about it to you as it has happened and more than once. I still dont see why its so hard to believe. I even had a WS6 that 110 bone stock. Its funny how everyone thinks GTOs are incapable of running the same times as Vettes or f bodies when the 3 cars are a damn drivers race, they are identical in drag racing times.
Well to be fair I don't know of any bone stock fbodies that have trapped 110mph either and have never seen proof so I guess that is where the desperity is. The GTO and F-body I agree are a drivers race and for the most part a C5 is as well but FRC and later model C5s seem to be a step ahead IMHO posting better traps and better ETs as the article from GMHTP demonstrates.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Just want to throw in my 2 cents. I'm not comparing internet times or magazines or any other bullshit. I have a personal interest in the GTOs because they are so close in their straight-line performance with my '97 Corvette, which is and always has been bone-stock. I have run every GTO I could find and have had races with 10 different LS2s. So far, except by a bolt-on Goat, I have not been beaten on the top end. The cars seem to pull strongly on the bottom, but are reeled in somewhere around the beginning of 4th gear. This would make for a very interesting 1/4 mile finish, but on the highway the GTOs do not have the stones to beat the LS1 M6 Corvette Coupe. My guess, though I haven't done the math, is that their power/weight is a little better than the vette's, but that the aerodynamics in the vette are too much at higher speeds.

Several of the GTOs that I've run have had very minor bolt-on's. 1 guy in particular claimed that he had only Long-tubes, a CAI, and a tune and in my race against him from a 50ish mph roll, he pulled out about 2 to 2.5 car-lengths, by 4th gear I stopped his pull and I did not reel him back in. I'm fairly confident that I posted as much in this forum and I'll try to go find that thread, now.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Arnold; 01-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Ok, I guess I didn't post the race with the LT headers, CAI, and tune, but I did post about a guy I raced before him. It turns out my recollection is a bit foggy, I guess I reeled him in when I was still in 3rd gear: https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...nst-world.html

Are there any bone-stock LS2 GTO guys over here in Germany? I would love to back up what I'm saying with a friendly run on video.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killemall
But a 345 rwhp 3150 pound C5Z06 will RAPE a 345 rwhp 3700 pound GTO the same way it would a Fbody or C5...

A Fbody/GTO/C5 cannot be even breathed in the same sentance as a C5Z06..Yes your car has an LS2...But the weight makez it perform like a LS1..Just that simple
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
A C5Z will pull a minimum 2 cars over a full bolt-on and tuned 6M GTO.
.....Some people just dont get it...A stock C5Z06 is a 115 mph car all day...A solid EIGHT MPH MORE THAN A 107 mph goat all day...8 mph is huge and not easily made up
...Yawn... so I guess when I ran my stock converter/gears full bolton LS2 GTO against that C5Z06 yesterday he was just playing with me? After chasing me down when I blew by him at a stoplight spinning my tires to see if he wanted to play? He followed me through some corners (hanging way back, true: late 40's/early 50's suit and tie black guy on his way to work probably had no idea how good his car could corner) at the steep uphill straightaway where it went back to two lanes he flew up on my bumper, but wouldnt get door to door for some reason. Me holding second at 45mph, I gave up on waiting for him to hop over so I went WOT.

Got a 1 car lead which he realed in before I managed to get to 5k rpms where my meat of the power resides... his blinker flicked on for a second and he started going over but he stopped and just stayed there in the middle of both lanes as I neared redline at 80mph: tires spun but held on the 2-3 shift and he never gained any ground, but I noticed he did pop back into my lane.

We let up around 100'ish as the two lanes ended and road turned a 90 deg to the right. I hopped into the turn lane that appeared after the corner while he flew by with a wave out the window. Roads a deadend at a office building where I saw him pull into so I can track him down if you all really want...

FYI: road where we ran was a STEEP uphill, probably 8-10 degree incline so the race seemed to take abnormally long and I thought for sure he was gonna pass me. For the record, I DO believe I can match and possibly beat a bone stock C5Z06 with my mods at a track or on the street: big deal, they aren't THAT great a car anymore, even if they were something to be respected or feared ten years ago.

Guy works at Intermec Headquarters in Everett, WA if any of you know him. The road to Intermec is where we raced: my favorite road on my bike when I'm working at Boeing in Everett.

... just wish he woulda gotten next to me so there would be no question about it...

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 01-09-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Launching!

big deal they arent all that anymore like they were 10 years ago

look here you lil arrogant whipper snapper..you talk about an icon like that again and ill e-slap you.....

Yea the 405 hp 2002 z06 came out 8 years ago...ill give you that..

But it's still a 116 mph car in normal conditions with a great driver...Some people claim 119 and even 120 mph trapps in negative 1500 ft DA's with perfect driving....Dont know if I can swallow that..

But the car has DEFIENTLY hit 117 and 118 mph a few times,,,

Even 8 years later a 116 mph car is still a fast car.....Especially compared to where your sitting...

I really hate when someone mods their car and then says so and so isnt that fast....

It's like buying a stock GTO..Going to the track and running a 13.4 at 106 and a guy in a stock C5Z06 runs a 12.6 at 114...

Then you spend 1K and add a 100 shot to the GTO and go back to the same track and run a 12.3 at 115 mph and then walk around saying how the "10 year old" z06 isnt even that fast...

well what if the z06 owner adds the hundred shot?hell what if he just adds intake and exhaust

Respect is earned...C5Z06's built a reputation over the past 9 years from kicking the *** of 90% of the cars they encounter while they were bone stock and the other 10% when they were modded...

GTO never eared any street respect what so ever...By the time it got a decent power to weight ratio it was just doing the same thing the camaro had been doing since 1998, just the gto was doing it in a uglier package...

Dont ever talk about a car thats much faster than your stock for stock as if it's not impressive...
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
For the record, I DO believe I can match and possibly beat a bone stock C5Z06 with my mods at a track or on the street: ..
Unless you're running low 12s in the high teens (which you're not), your ONLY chance is against a lousy driver.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
ught for sure he was gonna pass me. For the record, I DO believe I can match and possibly beat a bone stock C5Z06 with my mods at a track or on the street: big deal, they aren't THAT great a car anymore, even if they were something to be respected or feared ten years ago.
So you are going off of what happened with one very poorly drove Z? I know EXACTLY what would happen in that race with a competent driver.

I run 7.40@92mph in a +2500DA (ls6 intake 373s 4000 converter full exhaust small cam ported/milled heads).. Me and a buddy have not yet raced yet... But I know the outcome from him racing a buddy and me racing a buddy. We would be about dead even till 100 or so and he would start to slowly pull away. This is from a roll of course, from a dig I would win no doubt.
I VERY much doubt your GTO would be an even match from a roll with one because I know I would pull on you without a doubt.

They were something to be feared on the street 10 years ago and they still are to date. Just because you hung with a very poorly driven stock Z in your full bolt on car doesn't mean they aren't something to give respect to anymore.

Like someone said before, GTOs never got any respect for a reason. I'm not saying any should be, but the majority get nothing.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I was just giving the OP **** because he posted up he wasnt stock like the guy had a stroker motor or something. A CAI isnt even worth mentioning seeing that they may add 5 hp.
It was sarcasm... guess you didnt read my post when i changed the title
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Launching!

c5z

man i love that car...one day...one day
Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh heh heh hook line and sinker.

midwinter is the best time to bait you guys-- I could almost hear the indignation in your voices when i read your retorts.

for the record, i was just drooling over a '02 Z06 at the local ford dealer. $32k seems high to me though. no test drives until i get "pre approved"... i dont give out my info until i decide to buy though.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

c5z

man i love that car...one day...one day
man killmall with what you have owned i would think you could find a C5Z....and ill never get rid of mine....although im in the middle of a clutch change
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

look here you lil arrogant whipper snapper..you talk about an icon like that again and ill e-slap you.....

I really hate when someone mods their car and then says so and so isnt that fast....
It happens in here all the time
GTO never eared any street respect what so ever...
Not so sure about that.. This forum is really the only place I've heard the GTO getting dogged. Then again this forum is a first for a lot of things.
By the time it got a decent power to weight ratio it was just doing the same thing the camaro had been doing since 1998, just the gto was doing it in a uglier package...
Uglier? I'd rather have a 2005+ GTO than a 02 Camaro. Then again, I'd rather have a late 90s Z06 than either.

As far as the rest of the argument, I don't know enough about the two to add anything.

Quick Reply: 01 C5 vs 06 GTO 6.0... how did I lose? (TURNS OUT HES NOT STOCK!!!)