Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Another race to tell you about...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooterCam
Stock bottom end maybe tough, im sure there out there though... I personally dont know of any but if you dug up some stuff you may be surprised on what you find... I know its done with SBC 350s but LT1s are a bit complicated dont you think?

I could get mine to 500 if I felt like spending the money but I have other things to worry about like rear end, gears, chassis and suspension
Well, it already starts out with 350CI.... Stopsign is only working with 331CI.. He reached 450Rwhp and you need even more cubes to do it. And you say it isn't an accomplishment?

I won't be suprised at all, I know the capabilities of both platforms we are discussing. You obviously don't since you are saying 450Rwhp NA is nothing for a 331CI.

Not without going much bigger than you are. No reason to bring the "IF" into this.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
You must have missed this...

Now remember. The mustangs in that link are STOCK N/A 4.6L Mustangs.
You're absolutely right! I ran a 13.1 @105 stone cold dealership stock. So, with some gears and a decent tune and tires, 12.6 would have been well within reach.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
Well, it already starts out with 350CI.... Stopsign is only working with 331CI.. He reached 450Rwhp and you need even more cubes to do it. And you say it isn't an accomplishment?

I won't be suprised at all, I know the capabilities of both platforms we are discussing. You obviously don't since you are saying 450Rwhp NA is nothing for a 331CI.

Not without going much bigger than you are. No reason to bring the "IF" into this.
ok dude old news we already established that I dont know much about mustangs and if you didnt notice I already apologized for my lack of knowledge but now I know. if you want to keep dragging it out then be my guest. I missed the part where it was stock bottom end and all that
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok dude old news we already established that I dont know much about mustangs and if you didnt notice I already apologized for my lack of knowledge but now I know. if you want to keep dragging it out then be my guest. I missed the part where it was stock bottom end and all that
Stock cubes.. I am still waiting on you to show me 10 stock cube Lt1s in the 450+Rwhp.

That shows lack of knowledge period. Right now your lack of knowledge goes to mustangs, bikes, lt1s, ls1s.. Care to continue?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I think there is something that needs reminded to everyone here:

There is always someone faster out there
and
You've all got something to learn about cars

No, I'm not an exception to this.

To the OP, if you want a good idea of what an LT1 can do and how to get your ET goal see here: http://www.top-et.com/impalass/ should be fairly easy to replicate these times in car that weighs 500lbs less.

I'd say before you start throwing money at a motor, figure out exactly where you want to be with your car and what will make you happy as an outcome. Old saying comes to mind: measure twice, cut once. I think I saw you mention having a second car to drive but if you plan on driving it on a regular basis you also have to keep streetability in mind. I've seen a lot of people slap you down here but none of them willing to point you in the right direction, hope I could be of even a small amount of help.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TierAngst
I think there is something that needs reminded to everyone here:

There is always someone faster out there
and
You've all got something to learn about cars

No, I'm not an exception to this.

To the OP, if you want a good idea of what an LT1 can do and how to get your ET goal see here: http://www.top-et.com/impalass/ should be fairly easy to replicate these times in car that weighs 500lbs less.

I'd say before you start throwing money at a motor, figure out exactly where you want to be with your car and what will make you happy as an outcome. Old saying comes to mind: measure twice, cut once. I think I saw you mention having a second car to drive but if you plan on driving it on a regular basis you also have to keep streetability in mind. I've seen a lot of people slap you down here but none of them willing to point you in the right direction, hope I could be of even a small amount of help.
thanks a lot... it means a lot because I am stuck and torn on what to do, I have money and I know 7 grand may not be much for what I wanna do but I got nothing but time... and the engine is in my garage but my z28 is still driveable right now, I picked up the spare motor so I have that to drive til the build is done
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Stock cubes.. I am still waiting on you to show me 10 stock cube Lt1s in the 450+Rwhp.

That shows lack of knowledge period. Right now your lack of knowledge goes to mustangs, bikes, lt1s, ls1s.. Care to continue?
oh cuz you know so much right? lets say im novice at this ok...

but you dont see me being a dick like you are being by saying hmmm do you know anything about running your own business, real estate, web design, care to continue?

bottom line I already said I had a lack of knowledge at some areas and you continue to rub it in... but if that makes you feel like a bigger man sitting behind a keyboard and proving your point then go for it buddy. Im not gonna go waste my time with you anymore, so go for it and speak out again
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

7 grand will not get you a 450rwhp N/A LT1.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Launching!

well I get paid tmw so if you take out money for bills and messin around money the 7,200 bucks I have turns to 8,100 dollars it adds up from there next friday so I havent been going out much and partying or going to bars for this exact reason, im dumping most of my money in this

rotating assembly - 1700
heads/cam - 1600
machine work - 1100
headers - 1000

and whatever for misc such as water pump, injectors etc...

I shouldnt need too much more than 7 grand I know that
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh cuz you know so much right? lets say im novice at this ok...

but you dont see me being a dick like you are being by saying hmmm do you know anything about running your own business, real estate, web design, care to continue?

bottom line I already said I had a lack of knowledge at some areas and you continue to rub it in... but if that makes you feel like a bigger man sitting behind a keyboard and proving your point then go for it buddy. Im not gonna go waste my time with you anymore, so go for it and speak out again
Obviously know 10X's more than you do and am MUCH more opened minded about other platforms than you are. I like to learn about all types of cars and what makes them perform optimally.
We aren't talking anything but cars.

You are the one that kept it up after we had already showed you that you were talking about things you knew nothing of. But now that your feelings are hurt I should stop so it doesn't keep showing how ignorant you are on the subject?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I get paid tmw so if you take out money for bills and messin around money the 7,200 bucks I have turns to 8,100 dollars it adds up from there next friday so I havent been going out much and partying or going to bars for this exact reason, im dumping most of my money in this

rotating assembly - 1700
heads/cam - 1600
machine work - 1100
headers - 1000

Damn would that be nice...... It adds up a bit quicker than you think. Have you got suspension/transmission/rear end? All that power will be useless without it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Don't neglect the rest of the car. When you are making big numbers you have to remember there is more to a car than its motor. You'll have to bullet proof your transmission and rear end as well as upgrade the fuel system and add a few things like subframe connectors and stickier tires as well as better brakes. Be sure to look at the whole package, but like I said before, set goals and figure out what the car is going to be used for. A lot less things are important in a drag only car vs an every day driver.

EDIT: lemons12 beat me to the punch. Even if he has been one of the people against you he does have a very valid point there. (haven't paid much attention to who was flinging poo at who)
Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

rotating assembly - 1700
heads/cam - 1600
machine work - 1100
headers - 1000

Cheap, fast and durable. Choose two.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

rotating assembly - 1700
heads/cam - 1600
machine work - 1100
headers - 1000
Sorry but I don't see 450rwhp there. Maybe I am wrong. What do these heads flow?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

yea it will. especially if its with a 6 speed. it just wont buy all the supporing stuff. it will get u there but it wont keep u there after **** starts breaking.

you should really check out the lt1 section from time to time. 450 isnt too hard. maybe on stock cubes tho.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Damn would that be nice...... It adds up a bit quicker than you think. Have you got suspension/transmission/rear end? All that power will be useless without it.
Originally Posted by TierAngst
Don't neglect the rest of the car. When you are making big numbers you have to remember there is more to a car than its motor. You'll have to bullet proof your transmission and rear end as well as upgrade the fuel system and add a few things like subframe connectors and stickier tires as well as better brakes. Be sure to look at the whole package, but like I said before, set goals and figure out what the car is going to be used for. A lot less things are important in a drag only car vs an every day driver.

EDIT: lemons12 beat me to the punch. Even if he has been one of the people against you he does have a very valid point there. (haven't paid much attention to who was flinging poo at who)
I know that thats why I have nothing but time because im getting my tax return and im using that on the suspension and brakes I already talked to brad from UMI about it... Also my buddy Jason is fabricating a 9 inch rear end for me and doing a roll cage as well...
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ElkySS
yea it will. especially if its with a 6 speed. it just wont buy all the supporing stuff. it will get u there but it wont keep u there after **** starts breaking.

you should really check out the lt1 section from time to time. 450 isnt too hard. maybe on stock cubes tho.
id be losing about 30 horse if I kept it auto with a stall but not sure if I want to put a manual in it to be honest id rather have my transmission guy beef it up a bit with a HD kit - he already told me when he rebuilt my tranny he would eat the cost of a stall of my choice so im saving some money there
Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Sorry but I don't see 450rwhp there. Maybe I am wrong. What do these heads flow?
well if I go with the LE2 heads the flow is 275/190 CFM or I can go with the AFR LT4 comp heads flowing 290/225 w/ lt4 hot cam whichever is better for what I want to achieve, I havent gotten to that step yet
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

hot cam is tiny. dont even bother with it when trying to make good power. my cam is bigger than it and im on stock heads

i wasnt suggesting you switch to a 6 speed, i was just making a point. 450 isnt exactly the norm but a lot of 6 speed H/C cars are at least 420
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

well if I go with the LE2 heads the flow is 275/190 CFM or I can go with the AFR LT4 comp heads flowing 290/225 w/ lt4 hot cam whichever is better for what I want to achieve, I havent gotten to that step yet
Get a nice custom grind cam for what you want it to do. You're at a good place to figure out what you want from the car since you haven't bought anything. Hit up the LT1 section and discuss what you want from your car and how best to get there.

As for this thread, I vote it be locked...

Quick Reply: Another race to tell you about...