Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My HHR SS vs Newer BMW 335I

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Scott, clean E92. My friend had the VMR V710s on his, but now he has the Gold Linea Corsas.
Nice. As far as reliability is concerned, I picked mine up at the dealer nearly 3 years ago and I have had no real problems with it. A rear tail light burned out that was about $1.50 at autozone to replace. I also had an independent shop put on brake pads that create much less dust. The car has never been back to the dealer for anything.

There are a lot of horror stories on the net, but some of these guys run the car hard all the time and reap their rewards. If you buy a full scanner like the bavarian technique tool you can read all codes(including shadow codes), do the condition based maintenance resets, send commands, etc. I also have the Bentley manual, and a good set of tools, and there is not much you can't do yourself or with the help of local enthusiasts.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can guarantee I won't keep the 335xi much outside of warrenty unless a really badass turbo upgrade comes out ala horsepowerfreaks.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, If you think he was shifting, then I could see you winning. Some people just cant drive manual well. Good kill anyways. A stock 335i gets mid to low 13's rather easily and if the guy is modded then you did quite well.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

@OP: I may have to use that route then. But I'm sure traffic is a lot different around the 7-9AM range which is when I roll out...

And BMWs.....*sigh* I had a 2001 BMW 540iA once before. Took three days before the cooling system exploded pulling into my driveway. Luckily the dealer took it back, good guy. Used money to buy said BMW and just put it into the 5.0

In other news...I wonder where my order for some deep dish linea's for my 5.0 went....
Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
I was pretty dead set on getting a 335i as my next car too, checked out e90post for a few months, called around to talk to some friends wo worked at BMW and i changed my mind lol.

Far too unreliable, and when someting breaks out of waranty the prices to replace things are astounding. I cant afford a brand new one but a certified pre owned one and i have head so many horror stories that i may hold off till o can afford a brand new one, or just get something else.
There's horror stories with every car...and I guarantee that I will and have had more problems with my monte carlo than I would with any BMW. Yes, parts availability and pricing is a bitch, but there's a certain level of refinement that they have, something I am looking to attain as my tastes in cars mature.
Originally Posted by scottp999
Nice. As far as reliability is concerned, I picked mine up at the dealer nearly 3 years ago and I have had no real problems with it. A rear tail light burned out that was about $1.50 at autozone to replace. I also had an independent shop put on brake pads that create much less dust. The car has never been back to the dealer for anything.

There are a lot of horror stories on the net, but some of these guys run the car hard all the time and reap their rewards. If you buy a full scanner like the bavarian technique tool you can read all codes(including shadow codes), do the condition based maintenance resets, send commands, etc. I also have the Bentley manual, and a good set of tools, and there is not much you can't do yourself or with the help of local enthusiasts.
Thats good to hear. The SoCal E90/1/2 guys are a pretty tight knit community, they are always meeting up and modding their cars together. longtrans on e90post seems to coordinate a lot of meets and do a lot of installs.
Originally Posted by willizm
I can guarantee I won't keep the 335xi much outside of warrenty unless a really badass turbo upgrade comes out ala horsepowerfreaks.
That would definitely encourage me to find a 335i, but with the JB Stage II/DCI/Gintani, my friend's car was pretty quick and I would be satisfied at that power level for a long time.
Originally Posted by DJ_Seph
@OP: I may have to use that route then. But I'm sure traffic is a lot different around the 7-9AM range which is when I roll out...

And BMWs.....*sigh* I had a 2001 BMW 540iA once before. Took three days before the cooling system exploded pulling into my driveway. Luckily the dealer took it back, good guy. Used money to buy said BMW and just put it into the 5.0

In other news...I wonder where my order for some deep dish linea's for my 5.0 went....
www.wheeldude.com

Zoeb from e90post just gave my buddy a smokin' deal on those gold LCs in exchange for a customer review, picture portfolio, and a writeup.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willizm
This seems to be how the majority of 335i owners think as well, and for a reason.

Me and my friends have always wondered why we always seen so many post 50k mile 335is' sit at dealerships for just above 20k for many months on end. None of those have warranties.

Dont get me wrong i LOVE love love 335s but from what i have seen and learned i think i will hold off on one till i can at least afford one with a COPO warranty AND have money to spare lol
Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
This seems to be how the majority of 335i owners think as well, and for a reason.

Me and my friends have always wondered why we always seen so many post 50k mile 335is' sit at dealerships for just above 20k for many months on end. None of those have warranties.

Dont get me wrong i LOVE love love 335s but from what i have seen and learned i think i will hold off on one till i can at least afford one with a COPO warranty AND have money to spare lol
I haven't really heard much about the entire car being a pile, but BMW just replaced pads and rotors and fixed the brake squeaks for my friend under warranty, so it looks like having a warranty when stuff does go wrong on a car that is lightly modded is entirely better than no warranty at all.

And where I live, 335is are pretty rare. There are far more e90s than e92s as well.

Quick Reply: My HHR SS vs Newer BMW 335I