Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

04 Mach Vs 98 Z28 Vs 91 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Mach Vs 98 Z28 Vs 91 Z28

So this little series of races happened about 3 weeks ago on a saturday night on 2 roads out of town. The Mach 1 was a Manual car on Nitto DR's, he otherwise claimed to be stock. At the time the 98 M6 Z28 claimed to be bone stock (my suspicions were otherwise by the sound of it) turns out he has Borla catback, lightweight pulleys, 4.10s, TB bypass. My 91 has everything in my sig.

First race was my 3rdgen vs the 4thgen. We line it up and wait for the arm drop. We both launch off idle and he pulls me off the line and as he shifts into 2nd I regain the ground fender to fender. Throughout 2nd it stays with me hanging at front of his doors and we both shift into 3rd. I fall back to his doors and tay there for the duration of the gear and upon hitting fourth he pulled out. Finished behind him by a car, maybe a little more. Felt & sounded like we both spun pretty bad all way into 3rd.

The next race is the 98 vs the Mach. We head out to another stretch and I line them up. Mach heats his tires and they both launch, the camaro off idle & the mach had himself revved ready to go. Instantly the Mach lunges forward 3 cars. He keeps the gap most of the way with the Z28 only making up a car losing the race 2 car lengths.

Over all it was a pretty good set of races. I didn't get the chance to line up with the Mach like we intended but we all 3 meet up every weekend and look for some prey. As soon as I have my SFC's and the rockers on we all plan to line them up again (with it being warmer weather too) and try this all over again. And once the T/A has some miles on the setup & is tuned it will be coming out to play with these gentleman.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun man. That WS6 of yours is gonna waste the Mach and the Z28. Get some vids next time
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice man!!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NastyNate65
Sounds like a lot of fun man. That WS6 of yours is gonna waste the Mach and the Z28. Get some vids next time
Oh I know. Built with the intention of humiliating even the blown cars running around here. I was hoping for a sleeper but the true duals really seem to amplify the cam....so hiding it as "near stock" ain't happening . I am able to pass my Z28 off as a "305" however to get myself more races.

I have no problem admitting defeat. I've lost to a Mach, i've beat a mach (ha kids face was something like after he thought it was a sure win & i pulled right around him in 3rd) This was my first encounter with an Ls powered car and hoping for many more in the future.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like some good fun!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Good runs. Miss my '90 GTA. She was a dog up top but a lot of fun at stop lights. (I had a completely stock tpi l98 a4)

Love the Machs. Buddy has one with similar mods to my car. We run damn near even. He gets me from a dig by driver mod. I will admit he's made me a much better driver by running him from a dig though. I always pull little by little up top, but it's just enough to even things up.

Back on topic, awesome run against the ls1. I wanted to do similar mods to my GTA, but I couldn't justify the price to performance gain against an ls1 or 4v stang.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Back on topic, awesome run against the ls1. I wanted to do similar mods to my GTA, but I couldn't justify the price to performance gain against an ls1 or 4v stang.
I just love the underdog effect I have so easily over everybody. Some know its a 350, others think its a 305. Easier to get races when people think their playing against 19 yr old engines that have the typical exhaust/headers only. I even sandbag alot on our "cruise spot" and when people ask for burnouts to make it look weaker. Mines a dog unless I just rip her wide open, had to sacrifice a lil bottom grunt to be able to pull to 5800+
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro Spectre
Mines a dog unless I just rip her wide open, had to sacrifice a lil bottom grunt to be able to pull to 5800+
My brothers last IROC build was similiar to yours except a 3000 stalled auto, SLP T ram intake, and SLP headers/exh: thing hads gobs and gobs of torque with those Trickflow heads and LT1 GM hotcam. Whats wrong with yours? That stealthram shouldn't be hurting you that bad down low. ?

His old setup matched stock LS1 Fbodies from a roll, but killed them from 0-60mph. His new setup (195 AFR Eliminators and Comp Cams 224/230 cam) runs quite a bit stronger up top and only lost some low end- which merely brought his lowend power from the realm of unbelievable to almost believable (was 410rwtq at 3000rpms, and not dropping below 400ftlbs until just over 5000rpms).

Against me, he loses by a car or so up to 100mph, where I start to pull away pretty good- though we havent done a true dig run yet.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 04-09-2010 at 08:56 AM.