Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Camaro vs Modded CRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Camaro vs Modded CRX

Ok so a friend from work and I, have been talking about running our cars for a while. He has a CRX with a D16A9 motor ((not the factory motor this one is bigger)), ECU, Fart Can Exhaust, 17's, and bigger TB.

So he pulls up beside me after leaving the store and I I hear him punch it. We are doing about 70... Well I pull on him pretty good but I let off and he pulls out past me, with a huge run... So I put it to the floor and want to see how well I can catch up... Well I instantly stop his pull....but im not gaining on him fast enough and now im already up to 90 so I shut it down.... Not really a win or a kill since I gave him a huge run...

Ok so second run I let him start about a nose ahead of me and we hit it again at 70...but this time im not asleep behind the wheel and when he hits it so do I... I pull my nose back on him and he hangs at my door for a second or two before my car shifts and I start pulling buses on him... which to say the least, surprised the **** out of me... I shut down at about 95, the weather was kinda nasty and I didn't feel safe even at 95....

Sooo... Camaro 1 CRX 0

We are going to run them again when the weather is right, this time from a slow roll since he says his dogs out with the 17's from a dig...

.....Too bad my speedo only goes to 125 and he says his car can do 130 next time I might not not how fast I'm going...

For those who haven't caught it yet,

V6 Camaro, Stock aside from plugs, Royal Purple oil, and the factory "Dual/Dual" looking setup "not the stainless SLP version"...

He is getting about 140 FWHP my Camaro I'm guessing about 180-185.

Think he's going to take me from a 25 pull??
Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's nowhere near 140whp. MAYBE 120, maybe. That car would be lucky to touch 15's. I would guess a 16.0.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever happens, get it on video.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00siandrew
He's nowhere near 140whp. MAYBE 120, maybe. That car would be lucky to touch 15's. I would guess a 16.0.
The engine D16A9 is rated at 137HP stock and his was with a bigger throttle body, exhaust, and a different tuned ECM and whatever other things he didn't tell me. Your underestimating the engine he put in his car... And bear in mind, I am in a mostly stock 3.8 Camaro when we raced, and they aren't known for much better then the 15's/16's... so it still makes an honest race..
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You put buses on him from 70-95?

To answer your question, you will crush him from a 25mph roll.

And I like that "Royal purple mod"
Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

To answer your question, you will crush him from a 25mph roll.

And I like that "Royal purple mod"
in the import world it counts at "internals"
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

CRX's in the hands of people who think they are fast with 140hp...sigh...

Does this kid road race/autoX the car? THAT'S what they are meant for.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Teching In

D series motors are junk. That particular one is from the late 80s. For the money he spent on that, he could have easily gotten a better motor. Most of those cars cant even spin 17s on a stock clutch. If it was a B-series, you might be in trouble. As far as H/K/J series... forget it.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baalic
The engine D16A9 is rated at 137HP stock and his was with a bigger throttle body, exhaust, and a different tuned ECM and whatever other things he didn't tell me. Your underestimating the engine he put in his car... And bear in mind, I am in a mostly stock 3.8 Camaro when we raced, and they aren't known for much better then the 15's/16's... so it still makes an honest race..
Ok, I forgot that is basically the zc motor which is one of the few DOHC D series motors. Still a high 15 second car though. Way back in the day when I raced my turd honda (civic w/ b16a2 that ran a blistering best of 15.6) I was barely faster than a friends crx with the zc swap and bolt ons. I'm not saying it was a dishonest race, I would just be surprised if that car really made 140whp though. Doesn't really matter though. All that aside, you should still walk him pretty hard.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM

By reading your first story u should take him no problem, even if he has a similar power to weight ratio as you do he has loses power by increasing his rim size to a 17 inch rim, if I'm not mistaken they came stock with 15's or 14's. The bigger rims are better for autocross not so much for drag racing and from a roll, plus remember even though your car is a stock v6, your lug nuts have more torque than that honda makes and u have plenty for a v6. Also your car will do over 120 if u take the governer off with a tuner I know this from racing my friends v6 with my old z28 (what he wanted to).
Old 04-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkle06
D series motors are junk. That particular one is from the late 80s. For the money he spent on that, he could have easily gotten a better motor. Most of those cars cant even spin 17s on a stock clutch. If it was a B-series, you might be in trouble. As far as H/K/J series... forget it.

i recently sold my little del sol si. i had it for a few years, had a d16z6 forged internals, with the greddy turbo kit. running 15psi. i never had it to the track, too far away. anyway, it was hellishly quick, with any traction (which it had none) it would have gone 12's. DON'T tell me d-series engines are junk. they are ridiculously cheap, and cheap to build. they are single cammed for simplicity, they are still 16 valve. and the fact that they are in little light cars makes for a nice power to weight ratio. i have long since moved on to bigger and better platforms, but still dont like a blanket dismissal of a decent little engine.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the jester 812

i recently sold my little del sol si. i had it for a few years, had a d16z6 forged internals, with the greddy turbo kit. running 15psi. i never had it to the track, too far away. anyway, it was hellishly quick, with any traction (which it had none) it would have gone 12's. DON'T tell me d-series engines are junk. they are ridiculously cheap, and cheap to build. they are single cammed for simplicity, they are still 16 valve. and the fact that they are in little light cars makes for a nice power to weight ratio. i have long since moved on to bigger and better platforms, but still dont like a blanket dismissal of a decent little engine.

a k20, h22, h22 w/(i think f22) head, b20, built with forged internals and a turbo for less than 5 grand and that light body you can see 450 crank horse and surprise a lot of ****
Old 04-17-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

honda motors can make 100 hp per liter n/a, and at 2 or 2.2 liters thats pretty good stock in like si, rsx, integra, or euro or jdm spec cars. throw a turbo on that little tuna can and you got a rocket. i used to want a 96 honda civic si. or integra all jdm and right hand drive.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A couple of of Honda D16s would pull a premium one week before Race Wars....
Old 04-18-2010, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

so would a motec system exhaust
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk him from a slow roll too... And like you said, his car came stock on 13's and now has 17's and that is going to really kill him.... And hey, my RP mod is the ****!! LOL. I was just going to give him his race..... ON his defense he was hydroplaning pretty crazy like because like I said, the weather wasn't ideal for racing and we hit a couple spots that that some standing water on the road...

The only concern I had was his power to weight ratio and if he had some other mod's I wasn't aware of. He's also in a manual transmission so he has room for error there. Eaither way, I will try to get a video this time. He's a good guy though, doesn't pretend his car is the fastest and doesn't have the typical ricer attitude. The reason he has 17's on it is apparently because he bought the entire set with tires for 200 bucks....

From "his powerband" I may not pull as hard on him as I did on top, but It should still be an interesting race...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

hondas are lame-o
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

hilarious how ignorant ppl are.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1ya
honda motors can make 100 hp per liter n/a, and at 2 or 2.2 liters thats pretty good stock in like si, rsx, integra, or euro or jdm spec cars. throw a turbo on that little tuna can and you got a rocket. i used to want a 96 honda civic si. or integra all jdm and right hand drive.
I have never understood the appeal of this. I like imports just as much as I like domestics and an R32 GTR is one of my top 20 or so favorite cars. And yet, the biggest thing that makes me NOT want one (aside from the $20k+ price tag and registration issues) is the fact that they're right hand drive. My dad had a RHD land rover defender, so I'm familiar with it. I don't think people realize how much of a bitch it is to drive on the road in a car with the wheel on the wrong side.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Exactly what I was thinking?!?