Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Dig to 140mph: LS2 A4 GTO vesus SRT8 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 02:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
I ran used to run a Zex which is rated at flywheel I believe, its stupid rich with the jets they recommend. I changed out the fuel jets to lean it out. I know these cars like the back of my hand even though I didnt get my car dyno'd when it was a bolt on and 125 shot I know what these cars typically do with those mods. 535 is about the norm.

No weight reduction when I ran that 11.45 with bolt on and 125shot or when I ran that 11.85 cam only NA.

Did a good bit now along with some front runners and a couple things to get my short times down, and boy did it make a BIG difference. I would post my times but im kinda sorta into the street racing scene here locally and they might have some of my competition monitoring my posts! lol
Respectable times considering the enormous curb weight. Now with the weight reduction things should get exciting. About 11 years ago I use to run a '94 Imp so I know how good it feels to make a heavy car go fast.

Yeah the HEMI 6.1 is a very impressive motor but the lil 'ol LS1 still holds it's own too.
Old 04-22-2010 | 05:14 AM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
Hmmm.....I dunno.....

I should throw in the 175hp jets and find out. No seriously, with an extra 80 or so horsepower I suppose somewhere around 10.00.
Yea im thinking about the samething, maybe even a 9.99 with some crazy -DA. Remember were talking only a 125 shot, 6.1's can take 175 all day everyday. Hell we had a guy with a magnum running a 300 shot for a long time then he bumped it up to a 350 and I believe on his 8th pass the STOCK pistons finally let go.

So with a 350 shot your lookin at something like 730-760rwhp, hell id say that stock 6.1 hemi would get you in the 8's for roughly 8 passes!! Ever thought about puttin a HEMI in that F body?? lol jk
Old 04-22-2010 | 05:16 AM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Respectable times considering the enormous curb weight. Now with the weight reduction things should get exciting. About 11 years ago I use to run a '94 Imp so I know how good it feels to make a heavy car go fast.

Yeah the HEMI 6.1 is a very impressive motor but the lil 'ol LS1 still holds it's own too.
Still amazes me how strong a properly set up H/C/I LS1 can run!!
Old 04-22-2010 | 05:27 AM
Launching!

Yup those 6.1's are pretty sweet. A friend of mine just dyno'd his bolt-on '06 and made 39x at the wheels, right about where a bolt-on LS2 is at.
Old 04-22-2010 | 05:43 AM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Here a couple videos of the stronger running H/C SRT'S. Note that we do not have aftermarket intakes available yet such as the FAST intakes. The best we can do is port our shitty stock intakes, and for some reason our community doesnt believe in big cams. A BIG cam for a H/C car is in the 225-235 range.

This guy says he ran this 4250 race weight NA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXq676A5vc

Another, hes gone 11.15 also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20dsuNXc5g
Old 04-22-2010 | 06:58 AM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Yup those 6.1's are pretty sweet. A friend of mine just dyno'd his bolt-on '06 and made 39x at the wheels, right about where a bolt-on LS2 is at.
Yep thats about right. On a generous dyno u can see as high as 410-420 on a pump gas tune. Trust me these are not realistic numbers, there very much inflated. But hey it is what it is. On a heartbreaker dyno like the one i use a Cai,Catback,Tune 6.1 can make as low as 312rwhp but we have seen slightly higher but nothing nowhere near 350rwhp. I say screw dyno numbers just show me a gain and then im going where the numbers really matter!! The dragstrip!
Old 04-22-2010 | 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

Here a couple videos of the stronger running H/C SRT'S. Note that we do not have aftermarket intakes available yet such as the FAST intakes. The best we can do is port our shitty stock intakes, and for some reason our community doesnt believe in big cams. A BIG cam for a H/C car is in the 225-235 range.

This guy says he ran this 4250 race weight NA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXq676A5vc

Another, hes gone 11.15 also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O20dsuNXc5g
Those cars move out well! And at 4,250lbs that's awesome. I was anxious to see what one of these cars will do with a big cam like in the 24x range. I'm guessing they don't benefit too well from large cams since most I see run smaller bumpsticks around the area of the one you've got. What about high performance rear-ends, ring & pinion options for these cars? I'd imagine a stronger rear would be needed soon after this stage and some shorter gearing would really help move the weight of this car.
Old 04-22-2010 | 02:52 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Those cars move out well! And at 4,250lbs that's awesome. I was anxious to see what one of these cars will do with a big cam like in the 24x range. I'm guessing they don't benefit too well from large cams since most I see run smaller bumpsticks around the area of the one you've got. What about high performance rear-ends, ring & pinion options for these cars? I'd imagine a stronger rear would be needed soon after this stage and some shorter gearing would really help move the weight of this car.
Yea i dont get why people dont put big cams in these cars. The shop i somewhat work for uses pretty big cams and hell u might know our cam grinder Ed Curtis od flowtech inductions. My baby cam was just a experiment cause we had it layin around the shop and what the hell why not. To our surprise its got my car running times that a weak stroker runs. The cams we use are in the upper 240's but with pretty wide lsa'a like 114-115. But Ed's making us a cam for a Hilborn Injected 419 Charger thats going to be the most radical cam these cars have see yet 240-250 with a 106 lsa.

As for rears n gears believe it or not we have a 4700lb magnum running 9.8's boost only with a ysi but hes about to slap a 200shot on top of that. Hes still running the stock open diff rear with stock gears!! You may have seen him it was on Speeds Pass Time.Mercedes makes some good ****.

Richmond does have gears options for us though and we have several Lsd options as well.

The new oem lsd getrag diffs r proving to be pretty stout as well as the stock axles. Guys are cutting 1.45's with them with no problems. They to come with three different gear options 3.06 3.73 3.92
Old 04-22-2010 | 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Dyno tuned he should be at 400-405 on 91octane, depending.

Yep thats about right. On a generous dyno u can see as high as 410-420 on a pump gas tune. Trust me these are not realistic numbers, there very much inflated.
Why would you say that? 400+rwhp is the standard around the country for a dyno tuned SRT-8. It's a very efficient transmission with a lock-up torque converter so at 16-16.5% loss, it's spot on vs. the rated crank hp.

And if looking at stock numbers, SRT Engineers stated a 2% hp variance in production is acceptable along with air and coolant temp differences.
Old 04-22-2010 | 07:35 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Why would you say that? 400+rwhp is the standard around the country for a dyno tuned SRT-8. It's a very efficient transmission with a lock-up torque converter so at 16-16.5% loss, it's spot on vs. the rated crank hp.

And if looking at stock numbers, SRT Engineers stated a 2% hp variance in production is acceptable along with air and coolant temp differences.
I guess its a matter of opinion, im just used to the dyno I use that is VERY greedy.

I see alot of built blown cars claiming outrageous numbers and then they go to the track and run times and traps alot slower than our 600rwhp built blown cars.

Perfect example, I raced a built blown mustang from a roll and Murdered him without the spray. He asked how much I dyno at and when I told him 412 he like to ****. He said he was making 470+ rwhp and that it was built and dyno'd at StangHI performance. I then told him there was no way he's making that kind of power atleast not on our dyno. Just didnt add up, way heavier car spanks a lighter car thats supposed to be making a good bit more HP. He brought the car to our shop and it put down 320rwhp.

I do see what your saying though, maybe I shouldnt have said those were "unrealistic inflated" numbers. With the drivetrain loss % it is about right.

Our numbers just are "underinflated and unrealistic" in a good way that is. lol
Old 04-22-2010 | 10:52 PM
Launching!

And that ladies and gentelmen, is all i wanted to hear and everyone else to see throughout this thread. We are all on the same team here after all . If i could only own 2 of every LS & LX powered platform ever built (dreamin) !!!! The LS series motors and the vehicles that they come in are awesome rides in every way. I feel the same about the SRT8's for a few different reasons but in the end its all the same - they all look good, go like hell, are comfortable to US, and sound like heaven on earth.

FINAL VERDICT: IF YOU DRIVE AN LS POWERED ANYTHING - (FBOD, GTO, VETTE) etc. OR AN SRT8 (CHARGER, CHALLENGER, 300C) YOU ARE OFFICIALLY A FUC*IN PIMP - THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!!!

PUSHROD MULLET SQUAD 4 LIFE!!!
Old 04-23-2010 | 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Yea i dont get why people dont put big cams in these cars. The shop i somewhat work for uses pretty big cams and hell u might know our cam grinder Ed Curtis od flowtech inductions. My baby cam was just a experiment cause we had it layin around the shop and what the hell why not. To our surprise its got my car running times that a weak stroker runs. The cams we use are in the upper 240's but with pretty wide lsa'a like 114-115. But Ed's making us a cam for a Hilborn Injected 419 Charger thats going to be the most radical cam these cars have see yet 240-250 with a 106 lsa.
106 lsa? Is that going to be a street car? I would love to hear an idle clip of that because that sure is a lot of cam. Yes i've heard of Ed, it has been said he knows his stuff.

As for rears n gears believe it or not we have a 4700lb magnum running 9.8's boost only with a ysi but hes about to slap a 200shot on top of that. Hes still running the stock open diff rear with stock gears!! You may have seen him it was on Speeds Pass Time.Mercedes makes some good ****.
Now what does it take to get a Magnum to 4700lbs? Yikes, don't they weigh just over 4,000lbs dry stock? That must be one heavy driver behind that wheel.

Richmond does have gears options for us though and we have several Lsd options as well.

The new oem lsd getrag diffs r proving to be pretty stout as well as the stock axles. Guys are cutting 1.45's with them with no problems. They to come with three different gear options 3.06 3.73 3.92
I imagine with that kind of displacement/torque a 3.73 gear would be ideal for a street car, though a 3.92 geared car would probably pull like a bat outta hell from the line.
Old 04-23-2010 | 03:30 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

I believe the magnums stock curb weight is around the 4300-4400 area. Now add a full cage that i think is certified to rum 8's, a comple YSI set up and a 200lb driver and i think its pretty close to 4700 give or take a few.

Yea 106 is pretty crazy for a street car but this is going to be hilborn injected. The current cam in the charger is a 23x/24x@115 and it chops pretty good but when we put the hilborn injection on it it sound more tame than a stock car! No chop at all, smooth idle! It gained 60rwhp with heads and cam that arent even designed for it. So i think the 106 is gonna spit and pop pretty good but not like u would think it would. But who knows it might, this is a first on our engines.

Heres some pics of our other firsts...

Last edited by GotHemi?; 04-23-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2010 | 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

Geez. You guys aren't playing around. I have yet to see anything like that, really. I'm impressed. Real MOPAR Muscle!
Old 04-23-2010 | 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

That SRT8 Challenger with the 8/71 sticking out the hood is drool inducing! As long as it was producing at least 15psi I'd own it!
Old 04-23-2010 | 03:47 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Geez. You guys aren't playing around. I have yet to see anything like that, really. I'm impressed. Real MOPAR Muscle!
Yea we like to be a little different! lol You can check out some vids on our youtube page if u like.
www.youtube.com/southernhotrod
www.youtube.com/robertsrt

Enjoy.

Last edited by GotHemi?; 04-23-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2010 | 03:53 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
That SRT8 Challenger with the 8/71 sticking out the hood is drool inducing! As long as it was producing at least 15psi I'd own it!
Actually the Challenger is a 8.3 LITRE TWIN SCREW WHIPPLE!! 440 arrington stroker which isnt ideal for boost, so it only has about 9lbs right now. Arrington says it should take 12-15 max though. For now its for the Wow factor, its kinda like a promo car. Its owned by the owner of Cult Energy Drink, but he drives all his cars to the limit! He has a Porshe Carrera GT and said the Challenger would destroy the Carrera on the interstate. lol

Challenger is a Wide Body with 14" wide Pilot Sports on the back, not drag radial sticky but pretty damn sticky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Yw2Q1u1ng

The 300 is the one with the old school roots (671).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7hVicNPZmY

Last edited by GotHemi?; 04-23-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2010 | 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have any idea what cam is in the Challenger and what kind of power it's putting to the wheels?
Old 04-23-2010 | 04:10 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

Do you have any idea what cam is in the Challenger and what kind of power it's putting to the wheels?
It has an Arrington ground cam in it that was intended to be NA, I dont know the exact specs on it but I know the lsa is pretty narrow which im sure you know isnt good for boost. We think if we were to get a proper cam in it it may pick up another 50rwhp easy.

On our dyno it made 620rwhp, on a Dynojet I would GUESS it would make 700+ easy.
Old 04-23-2010 | 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

It has an Arrington ground cam in it that was intended to be NA, I dont know the exact specs on it but I know the lsa is pretty narrow which im sure you know isnt good for boost. We think if we were to get a proper cam in it it may pick up another 50rwhp easy.

On our dyno it made 620rwhp, on a Dynojet I would GUESS it would make 700+ easy.
Nice! Yeah listening to it it's apparent it's got a very narrow LSA. I agree it could see another 50 easily with a blower-friendly grind. I've owned a couple Vipers in the past, a '92 RT/10 and '98 RT/10 but always considered myself a "Viper guy" and not really MOPAR. The SRT-8's are really growing on me though especially seeing how easily they make power. If I didn't already have my C63 AMG to haul the kids around i'd probably be in the market for one.

Quick Reply: Dig to 140mph: LS2 A4 GTO vesus SRT8 Charger