Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08 cobalt ss vs 99 camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron has got it right, and Dave - idk what Nick did to you, but what he's saying sounds correct based on the video. You are an angry elf lol, if you met him you'd understand how he is. He's a strange boy lol

Last edited by sujomatt; 04-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Let me see if I can moderate this a bit before it comes to blows.

I believe Nick is saying that the races with Josh driving (races before the 2 minute mark) were from 40 mph and Josh started in second (hence his comment about the wrong gear).

Starting with the race at the 2 minute mark Nick was the driver. The first race with Nick driving was from a 40 mph roll and the Camaro started in first. The last race in the video was also from first, but from a lower roll (20 mph?). If you compare the race at the 2 minute mark and the last race then you can hear that in the first one the Camaro is at a higher rpm and is shifted almost immediately and in the last race it takes longer for the shift, indicating a lower starting speed.

Also, if you compare the races with Josh driving, it takes much longer for the shift than in the race at the 2 minute mark, indicating that the car was in a higher gear.

For the race at the 2 minute mark, I have no idea what gear the Cobalt was in or how high they can go (mph wise) in first gear.

This is just what I'm gathering from what's being said here and the video as I was not present for these races.

Carry on with the brawl
Exactly.

My story has never changed. And Dave idk why you're on me about this either, I'm not crying or bullshitting. Just stating the coors light cold hard facts. Do you need a beer?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Its been a while since Ive driven a F-Body .

But Im sure that doing a first gear roll from 40 mph is just plain stupid since first gear in a camaro with stock gearing tops out at about 45mph.

Juice is so full of **** in every post he makes. I see him turn alot of good theads to trash in the racing section.
again, before you call someone a liar make sure you know the facts. You are very wrong. if the guy you're speaking of is usually an idiot, he's not here because he's 100% correct. Just admit you're wrong bro, it's ok.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Im not even talking about who won or anything , Its the fact that nick was telling me that the cobalt was not in first gear that spun my wheels.
Then he tells me the rolls were 40mph not 20mph?

So far every other LSx owner Ive met is damm cool, but nick just rubs me the wrong way , he always has excuses, and does nothing but bullshits and lies.
And he asked the cobalt for a rematch in his regal and shows up in a SS camaro ? WTF is that about.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I already took a pic in 2nd at 35mph lol. That mile per hour is too low to run in 2nd gear. Nick said it would probably be better to go from first, and so we did. Like I already posted with the picture, first gear winds out to about 50mph. When we started in first, he immediately had to shift obviously, but it put us in a decent powerband in 2nd gear.

I wouldn't lie, I have nothing to gain nor lose by lying. It was just two SS's going out and running hard against eachother, I could care less who wins or loses, it was all in fun
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Let me see if I can moderate this a bit before it comes to blows.

I believe Nick is saying that the races with Josh driving (races before the 2 minute mark) were from 40 mph and Josh started in second (hence his comment about the wrong gear).

Starting with the race at the 2 minute mark Nick was the driver. The first race with Nick driving was from a 40 mph roll and the Camaro started in first. The last race in the video was also from first, but from a lower roll (20 mph?). If you compare the race at the 2 minute mark and the last race then you can hear that in the first one the Camaro is at a higher rpm and is shifted almost immediately and in the last race it takes longer for the shift, indicating a lower starting speed.

Also, if you compare the races with Josh driving, it takes much longer for the shift than in the race at the 2 minute mark, indicating that the car was in a higher gear.

For the race at the 2 minute mark, I have no idea what gear the Cobalt was in or how high they can go (mph wise) in first gear.

This is just what I'm gathering from what's being said here and the video as I was not present for these races.

Carry on with the brawl
Pretty much, But the hole reason the arguement started was cause nick said the camaro was in the wrong gear, When that wasnt the case at all.

It was just he wasnt in a gear that was to his advantage against the colbalt.
Which is a first gear roll since the cobalt only boosts 5psi in first.

Hes making it sound like the camaro made a error in the other races which isnt the case at all
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

You're twisting **** around Dave. I told Jack "we want a rematch" because when Josh told me about the race I figured he was starting in the wrong gear. Which he was. Jack was in 2nd at the race starting at 2:15, period.

If you don't like me because of that fact then I guess you don't like me, because thats what it is.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppn
I already took a pic in 2nd at 35mph lol. That mile per hour is too low to run in 2nd gear. Nick said it would probably be better to go from first, and so we did. Like I already posted with the picture, first gear winds out to about 50mph. When we started in first, he immediately had to shift obviously, but it put us in a decent powerband in 2nd gear.

I wouldn't lie, I have nothing to gain nor lose by lying. It was just two SS's going out and running hard against eachother, I could care less who wins or loses, it was all in fun

Ya I dont care either i dont own either car, its just the fact that in page one nick was telling me "he knows the cobalt was in second gear" and the hole time hes talking about the camaro being in the wrong gear which wasnt the case at all.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Teching In

So now I'm confused...what is the problem then?

Here is a list of mph for the t56 and 3.42 gearing...

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I dont care either i dont own either car, its just the fact that in page one nick was telling me "he knows the cobalt was in second gear" and the hole time hes talking about the camaro being in the wrong gear which wasnt the case at all.
But it was. At 40 mph if you're in 2nd gear in a 3.42 geared f-body...it's not going to be your best run. You are in the wrong gear. Reread the thread again, because you're digging a hole. I don't know the guy or remember any of his stories, but in this thread everything he's said is correct.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

put in the 98 fbody with 3.42 and this should give you an idea of what's going on here. It's not perfect because it doesn't take into consideration wind/resistance. But it's close enough.

I would run 1st gear from a 40 roll. It's probably my limit, but I would do it.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Josh the problem is that we started at 40mph in 1st gear and Dave think's I'm lying when I said that. He also thinks that somehow the Cobalt was in 1st at 2:15 when we were rolling at 40mph. You have a Cobalt, what speed does 1st gear go to?

He also thinks that I'm wrong when I say you starting in 2nd gear at 35-40mph means you're in the wrong gear, when clearly you are considering that's 2700rpm.

at 2:15 the Cobalt is in 2nd gear, the Camaro is in 1st. Every other 35-40 roll both cars were in 2nd. You can tell it's the wrong gear because you're way out of your power band and the Cobalt pulls away before you pass.

If you guys really wanna hate me for stating these facts then so be it. I'm always down to repeat (if Josh is willing at this point), 40 roll Camaro in 1st Cobalt in 2nd, the exact same thing will happen as the race at 2:15 shows.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Yea my cobalt would never go to 40mph in first...it's wayyy too short. I can pull up a picture of it in 1st when I get it back from the dealership lol
Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Josh the problem is that we started at 40mph in 1st gear and Dave think's I'm lying when I said that. He also thinks that somehow the Cobalt was in 1st at 2:15 when we were rolling at 40mph. You have a Cobalt, what speed does 1st gear go to?

He also thinks that I'm wrong when I say you starting in 2nd gear at 35-40mph roll races doesn't mean you're in the wrong gear, when clearly you are considering that's 2700rpm.

at 2:15 the Cobalt is in 2nd gear, the Camaro is in 1st. Every other 35-40 roll both cars were in 2nd. You can tell it's the wrong gear because you're way out of your power band and the Cobalt pulls away before you pass.

If you guys really wanna hate me for stating these facts then so be it. I'm always down to repeat (if Josh is willing at this point), 40 roll Camaro in 1st Cobalt in 2nd, the exact same thing will happen as the race at 2:15 shows.
I never said anything about 2.15 in the video , and none of the rolls were even 40 mph they were ~20mph and around ~50

Im done arguing with you about speeds and gears.

Im just stating the facts.

both cars are very closely matched.

And I want everyone to know the very close neck to neck races the camaro was not in the wrong gear.
But the races that it did pull away from the cobalt were done from a first gear roll (which only alows the cobalt to boost ~5psi) and thats the reason the results were much diffrent and the camaro pulled away.

other then a first gear roll its a damm close race.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I never said anything about 2.15 in the video , and none of the rolls were even 40 mph they were ~20mph and around ~50

And I want everyone to know the very close neck to neck races the camaro was not in the wrong gear.
But the races that it did pull away from the cobalt were done from a first gear roll (which only alows the cobalt to bost ~5psi) and thats the reason the results were much diffrent and the camaro pulled away.

Dave, I'm sorry man I really am, but you're 100% wrong. We were there man and each roll was done from 35-40mph in this video. Josh will attest to this.

Bottom line is the Ls1 at 35-40 is in the wrong gear if he's in 2nd.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Teching In

What?

I was driving at one point, and then I sitting in the passenger seat of my own car.

I can ASSURE you, we raced from ~35 a few times, and then we went from a first gear roll at the stop light. I know what my speedometer looks like when I'm looking at it.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppn
What?

I was driving at one point, and then I sitting in the passenger seat of my own car.

I can ASSURE you, we raced from ~35 a few times, and then we went from a first gear roll at the stop light. I know what my speedometer looks like when I'm looking at it.
ya exactly my point, the only reason you pulled away in some of the races was the cobalt had to go to first gear at 35mph ..which the ecu only lets it boost 5psi.

It was not the fact that the camaro was in the wrong gear.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Josh we'll end this right now. Can you start in 1st gear from 35mph in your Cobalt SS?

If you can, MY BAD.
If you can't, then everything I said is true.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I mean if we really want to start throwing **** around, my camaro has the worst tires in the world on it right now, so 1st gear is almost useless, and we got some nice wheel hop going into 2nd. If i put a sticky tire on and go from a 35/40 roll in first, the results will be much different.

And for the millionth time, 2nd gear at 35/40 is the wrong gear for the camaro. I now know that 45 is the aboslute minimum mph for a 2nd gear pull
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

But the races that it did pull away from the cobalt were done from a first gear roll (which only alows the cobalt to boost ~5psi) and thats the reason the results were much diffrent and the camaro pulled away.

Ha ha, ok biggin... I'm not wasting anymore bandwidth after this on you. You're going to sit and call everyone liars instead of admiting your wrong. Typical, but sad.

at 40 the cobalt HAS to be in 2nd, the F-body can and should be in first. It's obviouse that is what happened at 2:15. If you can't see it, I don't know what to say to you.

Here, see that handy calculator up the page a bit? here is a cobolt
Tire Size 225/40-18

Axle Ratio 3.82
Redline (RPM) 6300
First Gear 3.38
Second Gear 1.76
Third Gear 1.18
Fourth Gear .89
Fifth Gear .7

From a 35 roll even the cobolt would/could be at 6100 in 1st, which isn't the case in the video. Again, I'm done with this if you feel the need to keep arguing. You just look ignorant.

Last edited by Creman; 04-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Quick Reply: 08 cobalt ss vs 99 camaro ss