Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got killed....never racing my car again....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Don't the "GP"s have a supercharged V6? How in detail does their aftermarket get?
The GTP's, Impala SS's and Monte Carlo SS's with the blown 3800 ran pretty well. Cheap as hell to mod and responds really well to simple bolt-ons too.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
The GTP's, Impala SS's and Monte Carlo SS's with the blown 3800 ran pretty well. Cheap as hell to mod and responds really well to simple bolt-ons too.
Yes they do. I still have mine. If you wanna buy a GP & mod it, you dont buy an LS4, you buy the 3800 SC. Much bigger aftermarket & 3800s are everywhere if you blow one up, which is hard to do cuz theyre fairly bulletproof. You can pick one up fairly cheap too. For what they are they hook ok & are very quick but once you start making over 300 whp its tough to put it down. Kinda why I bought an SS.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a 2005 grand prix gxp. ran 13.6@102mph stock. tony another member on here and clubgp also had a GXP and also ran 13.6@102 stock. the GXP's were quicker than some think.

but yea the ls4 aftermarket never got going. one guy had some nitrous in his area51 or whatever his name. and he took down alot of quick cars. but the genIII 3.8 is actually a very good engine to build onto. quite a few 11 second and low 12 guys running around in grand prix and regal gs. not really surprising when you consider the almighty buick grand national used the same l36 just an older version of it.

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 05-05-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I would just hate the FWD part of it. I can't imagine how hard it is to put any kind of power down with a FWD car. (I've never owned anything but a RWD car)
For the last 5 years I've owned nothing but RWD. But my first car was a audi 5000 with turbo charged rotary swap in it. That thing was a beast, stripped interior, no key, flipped a switch and pushed a button for her to start. After I blew that up it was a Buick Le Sabre LMAO. I make life choices that make no sense...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

I would just hate the FWD part of it. I can't imagine how hard it is to put any kind of power down with a FWD car. (I've never owned anything but a RWD car
That is the one thing that really aggs me about these cars, having all that power in the front (I say that in comparison to a civic, accord, altima etc), and asking your front tires to multi-task like that. Understeer is crazy in that car. The coolest thing about them is that people have no idea WTF they are . The real sleepers of the LS4 cars is the Buick LaCrosse Super. It reportedly has a top speed of 156mph!

not really surprising when you consider the almighty buick grand national used the same l36 just an older version of it.
I've always wondered that....is it really the same motor?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Oh I see. I've never waisted my gas on a Grand Prix so I couldn't tell you how fast one isn't.
If you ever do run one, just hope it doesn't have a nice intercooled turbo set up!! My turbo gp would rape my friends bolt on 100 shot ws6.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gixper

Actually its built a lil better than the old 3.8 in the GNs
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
If you ever do run one, just hope it doesn't have a nice intercooled turbo set up!! My turbo gp would rape my friends bolt on 100 shot ws6.
I have a better chance of running into a turbo Camry with a Supra motor. I'm not too worried...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

good death i'd say, considering the gp plateform is very hard to work with and your mods don't do much. Your best bet would go from a dig because the ls4 falls on its face after
2nd. But than again you have to know how to launch a fwd, which many can not do, thats why some people with gp gxps run low 14's and some run high 13's. With my mods (not telling) and weight reduction i can beat some proven low 13 second car, but a cammed g8 **** man hahaha

FYI the turbo LS4's are mid and low 11 second cars with just around 450hp, ofcourse built trans and drs are a must.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

That is the one thing that really aggs me about these cars, having all that power in the front (I say that in comparison to a civic, accord, altima etc), and asking your front tires to multi-task like that. Understeer is crazy in that car. The coolest thing about them is that people have no idea WTF they are . The real sleepers of the LS4 cars is the Buick LaCrosse Super. It reportedly has a top speed of 156mph!

any LS4 can do 150mph plus with no limiter
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Yes they do. I still have mine. If you wanna buy a GP & mod it, you dont buy an LS4, you buy the 3800 SC. Much bigger aftermarket & 3800s are everywhere if you blow one up, which is hard to do cuz theyre fairly bulletproof. You can pick one up fairly cheap too. For what they are they hook ok & are very quick but once you start making over 300 whp its tough to put it down. Kinda why I bought an SS.
doesn't the LS4 come with the same 243 heads as the LS6 allbeit smaller valves, aren't things like camshaft and valvetrain similar to that of other LSx engines? Seems that modding an LS4 would be comparable to modding an LS2 or LS6 for example, and you would make A LOT more power/torque in the end with the V8.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Launching!

Don't the "GP"s have a supercharged V6? How in detail does their aftermarket get?

Yup the GTP's are the supercharged V6's . Their aftermarket is pretty good too . When i first got my GTP i took the u-bend out of the exhaust alittle smaller pulley and a tune it would run 13.9@99mph all day long in street trim for all of about $300 bucks in mods.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
doesn't the LS4 come with the same 243 heads as the LS6 allbeit smaller valves, aren't things like camshaft and valvetrain similar to that of other LSx engines? Seems that modding an LS4 would be comparable to modding an LS2 or LS6 for example, and you would make A LOT more power/torque in the end with the V8.
You would think so. I troll the LS4 boards on occasion and it seems every few months a thread like that pops up and then nothing happens...who knows.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Launching!

So on my way home from work today in the GP (or as I like to call it: The 5 o'clock 500) I see this G8 and I decide to give chase just to have a lil fun. I talked to the guy before at a red light on my way to work and he told me he had LT headers, exhaust, intake and I believe he said cammed. Well I made my way thru traffic and finally got on his bumper and we both make a left at the light. He smashes it as I expected and I try to keep up. Then he slows down to about thirty which is alright because now I can down shift to 1st, thats better for my car. We do a quick race from 30-85. DAMN! HE PUT LIKE 3 CARS ON ME! Now I knew he was going to beat me, no doubt. i was just trying to have some fun.....but ****! I guess I'm used to racing Mustangs! That is the first time my car has ever felt SLOW. I'm humbled by this experience. LOL!

ha ha ha..dude..this one time back in band camp..ok just kidding..but seriously I had this 450/500 rwhp/rwt sae bolt on 99 viper back in 2006..i pretty much destroyed or ran even with everything I raced in that car..

Then one day I wan into this guy on one of those japanese bikes...We went 4-5 times and he beat me so bad every time that I too thought somthing was wrong with my car....

turns out I was just a lot slower than he was LOL...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killemall
ha ha ha..dude..this one time back in band camp..ok just kidding..but seriously I had this 450/500 rwhp/rwt sae bolt on 99 viper back in 2006..i pretty much destroyed or ran even with everything I raced in that car..

Then one day I wan into this guy on one of those japanese bikes...We went 4-5 times and he beat me so bad every time that I too thought somthing was wrong with my car....

turns out I was just a lot slower than he was LOL...
turns out he didn't wreck his grand prix, though.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by justin455
turns out he didn't wreck his grand prix, though.

HA!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthV8
But than again you have to know how to launch a fwd, which many can not do, thats why some people with gp gxps run low 14's and some run high 13's.
And that makes sense as to why everyone I've ran I've taken. The 13.6 times posted by someone else in this thread had me.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
I have heard the LS4 is a lil shorter than the other LS engines so I dont know whats compatible. I would imagine it could be done. They do have the cartuning turbo & that would definitely make it move out. They make a kit for the 3800 GP as well, but theres much more support for the 3800. I've looked under the hoods of these cars with the LS4 & there isnt much room for anything but one with a 3800 theres plenty of room & theyre much easier to work on. I love the seats & some of the interior in the GP GXPs. The 3800 SC is just a much more popular platform to mod right now. Maybe that will change when the value of the LS4 cars start to lower some more.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

honestly lots of people give up modding these cars because they can't launch the fwd and changing the to rwd is way easier. Plus lots of time when we come on the forums and start asking questions the rwd LSX guys give us **** for even trying to mod our platform. I just want it for something different i have a rwd project car too. The Ls4 is the red headed step child of the LSX family forsure lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

That is pretty good for a DD and family car.