Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

puppy kickin in the V

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puppy kickin in the V

ok i know this isn't super exciting but its my first real race in the CTS-V. about a week ago i was coming home from the city and needed gas, so i swung into the gas station and was looking for a pump when i saw a pair of camaro's, one 98-02 debadged z28 (had snowflakes) with some rice looking exhaust. he had it routed under his rear axle and a 3rd gen IROC. so i grab a pump near the 4th gen and start pumping and chatting, asked him what he had done, he said a few things, then told him i been wanting to see how i stood against a lightly modded ls1 camaro, he shrugged and said he would run me when his buddy finished paying. when his buddy came out he yelled over and said "hey, this guy wants to run me in his caddy" and he put a smart *** emphasis on the caddy part. so i pipped up and said you guys do know this is the V right, it has the ls6 from the vett's. then they were all like oh **** man, never-mind we are on our way to pick up our girls, blah blah blah, maybe next time. fast forward a week later, i see the same guys, same car, same under the axle slp powerflow weak sounding exhaust, i roll up and slow down beside him in 2nd dont remember exact speed but rpms about 5k, i honk it off, we both nail it, im pulling just a little, speed-shift 3rd an asshair before redline, once the clutch fully engaged the V ripped forward almost a car-length, then continued the slow pull thru to redline, same shift again, same lurch on the take-up. then only held 4th for a few second as i was a good 3 cars on him. we raced 3 times with almost identical results every time. then he gave me a thumbs up and with a and i whipped a u turn and went about my way cuz i had gone way past where i was headed. i have ran into him a few times since then and he said he has some kind of slp kit, the exhaust, the intake which is a lid, bellows, and filter, and a tuner of some kind. his car let out a nasty string of sick sounding knock when he first punched it on the 1st race. but i didn't hear it in the other races. that's the puppy kicking part, kid shouldn't have even raced with that car sounding like that. and he was an auto, but some members on here will go to their grave saying that auto's are every bit as fast as a m6 but I'm not one of them

Last edited by the jester 812; 05-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Nice kill. Sounds like some good runs. Those v's are no joke for a 4 door. As far as the auto vs manual thing, a stall changes everything.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Nice kill. Sounds like some good runs. Those v's are no joke for a 4 door. As far as the auto vs manual thing, a stall changes everything.
yeah, i have witnessed the stall thing first hand, i just wanted to include that it was an auto but didn't want the whole auto V manual debate to resurface.
honestly i was hoping i would have pulled more than just on the shifts, because this shows that a full bolt on ls1 will probably walk me. but i am stock so....
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good runs....stock? i see your sig im guessing u were joking lol
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to run your V if I was local to u
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My duals are under the axle . Did you get a custom SCT tune for truck yet or are you still going that route?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
My duals are under the axle . Did you get a custom SCT tune for truck yet or are you still going that route?
hmmm..i always thought they were supposed to go over the axle. and no i still haven't got the tune from RCD yet. i wanted to open the exhaust up first so i dont have my EGT's getting too high. i ordered a DPF delete and catback yesterday so once i get that on and my intake i will get the tune and make some runs with it. i was screwing around with my dash-hawk a few days ago and the Duty was pulling 13.80's @ 96 with a 1.86 60'. the dash hawk has proved to be very accurate for me in the past but damn that's freakin fast. is this a normal time for a tuned diesel?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the jester 812
hmmm..i always thought they were supposed to go over the axle. and no i still haven't got the tune from RCD yet. i wanted to open the exhaust up first so i dont have my EGT's getting too high. i ordered a DPF delete and catback yesterday so once i get that on and my intake i will get the tune and make some runs with it. i was screwing around with my dash-hawk a few days ago and the Duty was pulling 13.80's @ 96 with a 1.86 60'. the dash hawk has proved to be very accurate for me in the past but damn that's freakin fast. is this a normal time for a tuned diesel?
For a 6.0, absolutely. Tuner only they'll run low 14's high 13's. You're a brave man to be running a tuner with out an EGT gauge.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Nice.. I would love to get a chance against a stock ls1..
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Nice.. I would love to get a chance against a stock ls1..
It has a k&n ok!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mannyman84
It has a k&n ok!
Sure.. if u wanna drive to Texas just for a street race that in turn could cause us to goto jail? I'm down if you are!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol. I'm good. I barely drive 10 miles with my car. Plus it's too far and I'm on E
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i have witnessed the stall thing first hand, i just wanted to include that it was an auto but didn't want the whole auto V manual debate to resurface.
honestly i was hoping i would have pulled more than just on the shifts, because this shows that a full bolt on ls1 will probably walk me. but i am stock so....
i wouldnt call it "full" bolt on. i would say hed need headers for that
Old 05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
i wouldnt call it "full" bolt on. i would say hed need headers for that
yeah, a friend of mine whose on this thread has a headers/full exhaust and lid ls1 camaro, i expect him to pull me, i was hoping the V might hold him off, but after this race i doubt it.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Sure.. if u wanna drive to Texas just for a street race that in turn could cause us to goto jail? I'm down if you are!
Originally Posted by mannyman84
Lol. I'm good. I barely drive 10 miles with my car. Plus it's too far and I'm on E
Give me a couple months for my vacation to come up and ill drive out if you wanna go lol im not quite stock though

yeah, a friend of mine whose on this thread has a headers/full exhaust and lid ls1 camaro, i expect him to pull me, i was hoping the V might hold him off, but after this race i doubt it.
Well see soon hopefully ill be getting my car back tomorrow or monday since they got it in today and then its go time
Old 05-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE_KOON
Well see soon hopefully ill be getting my car back tomorrow or monday since they got it in today and then its go time
you nut-hugger, i bet every time you get on you search for my posts
you want a real race, let me get this starter problem fixed on the camaro. then its go time as you say. i freakin hate losing, maybe I'll pull the dry kit off the camaro and put it on the V with a 75 shot. i know you will pull the V unless you cant drive for ****.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

So what if i do lol gotta make sure your not talkin to much crap
And how is a 408 camaro a "real race" against me? Believe me i concede defeat already But ill still race besides didnt you say i cant drive worth a crap anyway so why are you scared to race me in the v? and no n2o since i cant mod now

Last edited by THE_KOON; 05-23-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you nut-hugger, i bet every time you get on you search for my posts
you want a real race, let me get this starter problem fixed on the camaro. then its go time as you say. i freakin hate losing, maybe I'll pull the dry kit off the camaro and put it on the V with a 75 shot. i know you will pull the V unless you cant drive for ****.
you should have levt out the part about nitrous and put it on and never said anything. he would be stumped lol. i dont even know his setup but it is fun when people wonder how things happened.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE_KOON
So what if i do lol gotta make sure your not talkin to much crap
And how is a 408 camaro a "real race" against me? Believe me i concede defeat already But ill still race besides didnt you say i cant drive worth a damn anyway so why are you scared to race me in the v? and no n2o since i cant mod now
cuz i dont like to lose... ya douche, I'm not used to losing like you are
and if you do beat me i will never stop hearing about it.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
you should have levt out the part about nitrous and put it on and never said anything. he would be stumped lol. i dont even know his setup but it is fun when people wonder how things happened.
he knows i wont really put it on anyways. but it would have been cool to slip one of those money maker intakes on. or just a halo kit with black wire looms over the nitrous lines.