Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Triple Play

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple Play

Alright so I havn't gotten a REAL race since I bought the T/A... not really. Tonight I got my first, and then two more. Beatdowns all around. Harsh ones at that. Maybe not the best competition in the world, but I got nice adrenaline rushes nonetheless. Skip to next post if you don't like to read.

I was cruising home at 65mph. Couple of reasons... first it's pretty safe on the beltway (safe from cops that is), and second it's just about the strongest speed to launch from with my stock converter. Well I see two pairs of headlights coming up behind me, one I recognize as a focus, the other... looks weird. I have no idea. Boy did I feel dumb when it pulled up next to me and turned out to be a 98+ Firebird. I couldn't tell if it was a formula or not (I very much doubt it based on the results), but it had a very nice sounding dual exhaust on it.

Anyway, I gun the throttle to go up this hill (I normally do on that hill when I can), and also just to see if anybody is game. Sure enough when I let off back to 65 or so at the top of the hill, I see the focus coming up on my right at full throttle. I stomp on the gas when he was about 4 cars behind me. He pulled up to his rear bumper even with my front bumper and then it's all over for him. By the time I let off a little over 100mph, he has got to be 5 or 6 car lengths back at LEAST. He did not try again.

The firebird saw me and the focus playing, and I guess he decided he wanted a piece. I didn't know he was game, so he got a good 2 or 3 carlength jump on me, but then just like the focus, he suddenly starts falling back so rapidly that it blows my mind. The firebird just seemed up for racing, regardless of outcome, so he and I went 3 or 4 more times, and the same results every time. I let him get the jump and then I reel him in like he was in reverse. I finally let him "win" one since I didn't want to try taking my exit at 80+mph, so I blink my headlights at him as he speeds away, and he blips his brakes twice at me in return. Lots of fun.

So I'm driving down 210 on my way home, adrenaline rush still going, and I stop for a red stoplight, and see if anybody worthy pulls up next to me. Nope. SUV of some variety on my right, Dodge Dakota on my left. I noticed the Dakota looked pretty nice, maybe new rims, possibly lowered, I couldn't tell cause I know nothing about the trucks. Well, the light turns green and I let off the brake and throttle it up easy when I hear the dakota's engine roar up and see him start to take off... Somebody else wanted to play! I immediately floored it, and spun for about a second before I hooked up hard. Man I caught him by about 20mph and by 60mph he was way back there. I slowed down to see if I could catch the next red light for annother run. I did, but he ran it. Party pooper.

None of the three were real competition, but I've got a rush I havn't felt in a good long time. I am newly impressed with the ls1, I feel like a king of the road. haha. Gotta shrink my head.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice starter kills! I find it funny how the Dodge trucks always wanna play, they're the ones I get the most revs from, believe it or not.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Teching In

those dodge guys think they are living in a commercial
Old 01-10-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No kiddin...for me its always the guys in the new dodge rams..and the ones that do never have the hemi(like my baby gives a **** )
Old 01-10-2004, 09:11 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
I feel like a king of the road. haha. Gotta shrink my head.
Let me catch ya crusin one day...i think we can change that :p ....lol nice kills man congrats
Old 01-10-2004, 09:57 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilStang
Let me catch ya crusin one day...i think we can change that :p ....lol nice kills man congrats

I can change that also , but then Evil can whipe the grin off my face very quickly with his car.

Have fun.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:22 AM
STF Veteran

Oh I know there are a ton of cars in here that can kick my ***. I'd be lucky to run a 13.6 or so, and half the people here seem to be in the 11s. But none of you guys travel the same roads I do.

I'm sure that I'll get my *** handed to me sometime, I'm just hoping it isn't buy a wrx or a srt-4 or something else that I should be able to beat.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:08 PM
STF Veteran

Good kill!
Now it is time to start modding. Then you won't have to worry about those pesky WRX's and srt-4's.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good kill man!! damn what are those dodge trucks thinking. i have been beaten more by powerstroke trucks with heavily modded diesels, than any other truck!
Old 01-10-2004, 03:01 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Good kill!
Now it is time to start modding. Then you won't have to worry about those pesky WRX's and srt-4's.
It might sound blasphemous, but I want to keep the car relativly tame (at least tame under normal driving conditions) for the time being. I don't want an overpowering note exhaust yet, nor do I want any driveability issues to crop up. After driving the mustang, which was noisy and unrefined, I really like having all this power with full factory refinement. I may do simple stuff like get a lid, open up the bottom of the airbox (and other free mods), and so on...

I'm curious if dropping a z06 cam (or something similar to it) and getting the computer re-turned would jump me up about 20-30 rwhp (or more) while still leaving the car with a "factory" feel... I'm also curious if leaving the factory mufflers/exhust on would make getting LTs + high flow cats kinda pointless. I am not sure where the big restrictions are in the exhaust system.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:45 PM
STF Veteran

Everyone I have been talking to is saying that you can get a 224/224 .581/.581 114 LSA to idle like stock with a good tuning. I just purchased that cam and haven't got it installed yet. I will let you know when I do. If you are interested.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:52 PM
STF Veteran

Yeah I'd definatly be interested in how that thing feels after tuning, what kind of power you get, and especially the bottom line price (parts, labor, and tuning).
Old 01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
STF Veteran

Nice kills!
About the labor.....DIY!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Nnice kills. It always seems the rednecks in trucks wanna have at it.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 02PHOENIX
Nice kills!
About the labor.....DIY!!!
Honestly, wrenching on the interior of the engine of my daily driver scares the **** out of me. I need a practice engine. Loan me your car.

I don't know. Perhaps by the time I get the cash to actually do it, I will be familiar enough with the engine to do it myself.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
Honestly, wrenching on the interior of the engine of my daily driver scares the **** out of me. I need a practice engine. Loan me your car.

I don't know. Perhaps by the time I get the cash to actually do it, I will be familiar enough with the engine to do it myself.

I was thinking of doing the cam on my car myself but when you factor in the price for the tools you need and the fact you're buying retail and a shop will get the parts wholesale I don't feel like I'll be saving alot of money. I hear ya about wrenching the interior of the engine but with a good writeup I hear it's not hard at all.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

tons of write ups on the net, can walk you through ever single step. it is not hard, just make sure you set out an entire weekend, and do not rush yourself!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:27 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dal1as
I was thinking of doing the cam on my car myself but when you factor in the price for the tools you need and the fact you're buying retail and a shop will get the parts wholesale I don't feel like I'll be saving alot of money. I hear ya about wrenching the interior of the engine but with a good writeup I hear it's not hard at all.
It's not hard at all. Yeah, the tools might be expensive. I got a friend with all that, so it's not for me.
But, you might just want another cam, then what? More money down the drain for install. Maybe you get a big cam and wanna change the springs before they fail. More money gone there, too. The tools are worth the money, and experience is invaluable.
Just DIY, and quit being lazy.

Scarecrow...........ugh, NO.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:08 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 02PHOENIX
Scarecrow...........ugh, NO.
"Ugh, NO" what? You have to be more specific in what you're objecting to, I've said a lot in this thread.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice Kills