Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

got killed by 370z

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if from a dig you can put it on 3 and it will shift 1,2,3 for you and start in first then you can shift 4th into D. but if you put start in any lower selection you will definetly over rev.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you put the selector in 1st/2nd at too high of a mph/rpm it will not downshift until you slow down enough for it to. If you go WOT it will downshift on its own although. It is going to shift whenever it wants to anyways (unless you hold it then it will just hit the limiter which totally defeats the purpose anyway).

That is why I say put it in OD and let the computer do the work.
OK, well that apparently is the difference between a 4L60E in the Fbodies and the 4L65E in the GTO's: If I drop my selector down, it will downshift as long as new revs don't exceed aprx. 6000rpms. If I put it into second gear, it will not shift up or down no matter what: I can take off from a dead stop, and I can mercilessly punish my rev limiter but it will not upshift. 1st gear is the same way.

The race trans ecu I have didnt change that: it's been that way from the beginning.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:17 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my friend would race his AOD Mustang, he would start with the gear selector in "2," and as soon as the transmission shifted into 2nd gear he would slam it back down to 1st so it would hold 2nd gear. When it was time to shift to 3rd he would put it in 3rd and the car would be fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
When my friend would race his AOD Mustang, he would start with the gear selector in "2," and as soon as the transmission shifted into 2nd gear he would slam it back down to 1st so it would hold 2nd gear. When it was time to shift to 3rd he would put it in 3rd and the car would be fine.
^^^ sounds like too much work for my tastes. I'm a stick guy at heart, so it REALLY pisses me off when my auto trans doesnt do what it (in my head) is supposed to!

It's been said, and I believe it, that the GTO's A4 is the best 4spd auto trans GM ever put into a car. Stout, hard shifting, and it's shifting algorithms are as near to perfect as a non-paddle shift car can get. It never hesitates or hunts for the right gear... --- that being said, I still cuss it at least a couple times a week. Drawback is that it doesn't like manual shifting.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

wouldn't a tune to correct the shift points after the gear swap help out allot?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

^ anyone have a answer on this one? Also after reading through every response Ive came up with the assumption that if the race is below 50 or so ill leave it in drive but any high speed roll's I will take it to 3rd. I am just trying to find a y-pipe to mate with my lt's than I will probably install them and try a frost tune. Hopefully that will take care of anymore stock 370's I encounter.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

gears do not affect shift points: as far as the trans and computer know, nothing changed. Engine spins to a certain rpm then transmission shifts: don't know how gears could affect that?? If you are referring to the fact the engine accellerates a bit faster now, throw that out of your head right now.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
wouldn't a tune to correct the shift points after the gear swap help out allot?
A tune would help but gears and transmission or engine have nothing to do with each other (technically).
With a tune there are a ton of things you can alter to help the trans shift better.
Originally Posted by jmofield
^ anyone have a answer on this one? Also after reading through every response Ive came up with the assumption that if the race is below 50 or so ill leave it in drive but any high speed roll's I will take it to 3rd. I am just trying to find a y-pipe to mate with my lt's than I will probably install them and try a frost tune. Hopefully that will take care of anymore stock 370's I encounter.
No... Leave it in whatever you drive around town in. Whether it be OD (Trans Ams) or D (I believe that is what is for Camaros). Just kick it when you should.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

60 MPH with 3.73's is going to be a bad spot, getting to the top of 2nd and the very bottom of third. Computer will keep it in 3rd.

Quick Reply: got killed by 370z