Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

92builtbird vs. Buick Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92builtbird vs. Buick Skylark

Well, I'm going to pop my SR&K cherry, and finally post. I was up at Dooleys on Gratiot avenue in the Metro-Detroit area for a car show.

As I'm pulling out, a light blue '66 or '67 Buick pulls out behind me. I checked out this guys car earlier, and he had a big block 454 in it. Sharp car.

We pull up to a light and I look over and the guy was probably mid 60's, gray haired, and didn't look like he was down for anything. On the other side of him was a 8.50 fox body that was at the show, so he probably just got a good laugh out of our little run.

I put my car in first just in case and the light turned green. I took off slowly, and out of nowhere the guy punches it and gets a jump about a car length, so I follow suit. I was fighting for traction and went a little sideways, but finally caught at the top of first. I slammed second, wound that up, and hit third, and reeled him in when we had to shut down for traffic. His fender was at my door when we backed down.

All in all it was a good night with a great turnout. Mods in sig. My trans has a planetary going, so I'm losing quite a bit of power, and my shifts are rolling over, so I'll be running a little better once I throw a new one in there.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good kill man. Its always cool to run old muscle cars! Adding a 454 to your kill list is also pretty rad
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Nice kill. I remember my first bigblock kill still! Got me two guys in 69 Chargers with 440's. Killed both of them!

Question on your engine: 1.94 stocker heads with such a big cam, and why the Performer intake? Seems like a mismatched combo. Runs at best a 13.3@ 101mph right? Probably slower? Might want to throw a set of Vortec iron heads on there and really wake that thing up! $700 heads+ Performer RPM Airgap intake and you just added 75+rwhp.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice kill. I remember my first bigblock kill still! Got me two guys in 69 Chargers with 440's. Killed both of them!

Question on your engine: 1.94 stocker heads with such a big cam, and why the Performer intake? Seems like a mismatched combo. Runs at best a 13.3@ 101mph right? Probably slower? Might want to throw a set of Vortec iron heads on there and really wake that thing up! $700 heads+ Performer RPM Airgap intake and you just added 75+rwhp.
You're right, it is a bit restrictive, and my heads do suck. A combo like the one you mentioned is definately on my list, but I gotta get my drivetrain taken care of first. Haven't been to the track with this motor, but it's a solid 12 second ride. You gotta remember my curb weight is probably not a pound over 3100.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Ahh, weight loss going on ehh? Always helps!

I've built quite a few small block chevy's. With a weight that low, 12's shouldnt be a problem if you've got 3.23 or better gears and a posi. Or at least a open diff with a properly setup set of slapper bars. If you got an open diff, PM me and I'll share the secrets of how to setup slapper bars to give you effectively full posi in a straight line.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ahh, weight loss going on ehh? Always helps!

I've built quite a few small block chevy's. With a weight that low, 12's shouldnt be a problem if you've got 3.23 or better gears and a posi. Or at least a open diff with a properly setup set of slapper bars. If you got an open diff, PM me and I'll share the secrets of how to setup slapper bars to give you effectively full posi in a straight line.
Third gens are actually very light. Curb weights are usually between 3150-3300. I have a fiberglass hood, no wipers, no AC, alumminum radiator, all the TPI electrical **** taken out, etc., so I've cut a lot of weight. But you're right, my heads are killing me. I'm still in college, so that might have to be a winter purchase.

I have a 3.55 posi in the back, so i'm all set there. I might get a idle video to put up a little later. New Trans is going in next weekend, I can't wait
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
Third gens are actually very light. Curb weights are usually between 3150-3300. I have a fiberglass hood, no wipers, no AC, alumminum radiator, all the TPI electrical **** taken out, etc., so I've cut a lot of weight. But you're right, my heads are killing me. I'm still in college, so that might have to be a winter purchase.

I have a 3.55 posi in the back, so i'm all set there. I might get a idle video to put up a little later. New Trans is going in next weekend, I can't wait
Surprisingly enough, you are right about the 92 models: barebones Z28's could be bought that only weigh 3273 pounds! Though I have yet to ever see a Z28 that didnt have A/C or electric mirrors, etc.

According to thirdgen.org, the 1987 models were the porkiest. Explains alot, my brothers 87 auto IROC weighed in at 3550lbs when we weighed it. Down a hundred or so now with most of the A/C stuff gone. Ttops dont help I bet.
http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data

This was last year, before he upgraded his heads/cam. In this vid it's a SLP T-ram setup with Trick Flow twisted wedge heads and GM hot cam in this vid. 3000 stall also. Ran a best of 13.0 at 102mph. Current build (AFR 195's and 234 dur comp cam) should go mid 12's if he ever gets the tune right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCnxP_bzQY

My brother racing GTONate with the old setup. Nate amazingly pulled him off launch! Considering that my brothers IROC launches like a **** (1.8 60' times on crappy tires).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOTFPUfk70
Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Surprisingly enough, you are right about the 92 models: barebones Z28's could be bought that only weigh 3273 pounds! Though I have yet to ever see a Z28 that didnt have A/C or electric mirrors, etc.

According to thirdgen.org, the 1987 models were the porkiest. Explains alot, my brothers 87 auto IROC weighed in at 3550lbs when we weighed it. Down a hundred or so now with most of the A/C stuff gone. Ttops dont help I bet.
http://www.thirdgen.org/tech-data

This was last year, before he upgraded his heads/cam. In this vid it's a SLP T-ram setup with Trick Flow twisted wedge heads and GM hot cam in this vid. 3000 stall also. Ran a best of 13.0 at 102mph. Current build (AFR 195's and 234 dur comp cam) should go mid 12's if he ever gets the tune right.

That's a good looking IROC. You're right though, a lot of people are mis-informed and think that 3rd gens are 3500-3600 like the 4th gens. The 305s were so shitty though, no one knew that they were that light.

Look here, under 2-door hatchback. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...firebird-8.htm
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4th gens are actually closer to 3400lbs (~3440 curb weight for an LS1 Z28), unless you're talking about a fully equipped SS or something.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
4th gens are actually closer to 3400lbs (~3440 curb weight for an LS1 Z28), unless you're talking about a fully equipped SS or something.

True. Ws6's are generally around 3500 though.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

A fixed roof Z28 or IROC is pretty rare though. Only seen maybe 30-40 in 23 years since the T-tops became an option. Stupid leaking T-tops- they ALL leak- even when new! 100+ hours of work later my brothers don't anymore.

My brothers car is the norm for most IROC's you see: T-tops, A/C, auto, electric seats/windows/mirrors, etc. 3550lbs with 1/8 tank and a much lighter exhaust (SLP headers, random tech cats, SLP exhaust). The smog pump and A/C pump delete mod lost quite a few pounds- pounds that the subframe connectors made up for.

Did you know that you can easily drop in 4th gen leather seats to a 3rd gen? Me and my brother did it to his wifes '91 IROC convertible. Looks wayyy better! And gives you a taller, more side bolstered front seat. PM me if you want to know how.