Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Built 306 Fox Body Rape

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Where did I say I would rail any 396 built?

And my 331 is not properly setup. I'm leaving alot of power on the table. Its properly setup for what I want (good gas mileage and driveability for a DD) but its not properly setup to kick ***.
The setup you came from made more Rwhp than this one didn't it?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
The setup you came from made more Rwhp than this one didn't it?
About 40rwhp more and there was still power left in THAT combination. Given a Dart block I could make a 331 put out 500+ to the tires N/A.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Nice kill OP
Old 06-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Stopsign, this is a pretty easy recipe to get close to 500rwhp. A couple of changes like a custom solid roller cam designed to add about 3-400 rpm to the power band would put you over 500 at the tire easily, and you still would only be spinning the engine 8k rpm to the shift point.

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article082/A-P3.htm

edit: 8k rpm is a lot, but you would conceivably make peak power at around 7100-7200 rpm where a stock production block would survive.

Last edited by Chris Arnold; 06-07-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Where did I say I would rail any 396 built?

And my 331 is not properly setup. I'm leaving alot of power on the table. Its properly setup for what I want (good gas mileage and driveability for a DD) but its not properly setup to kick ***.
mine will never be built to the point that it cant daily drive easily. ill gladly tell u whats in my motor and what will eventually be in my motor. you are kinda quiet abouy what is actually in your motor so its hard to make calls on it.

i plan on making well over 500 rwhp on motor with a hydraulic roller cam.

having said that, i believe the impressiveness of a smaller motor is lessened when using a solid roller cam and/or an aftermarket block. (which there are none for an lt1, btw)
Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Why? Are overhead cammed motors more or less impressive than pushrod motors? Honestly, it all seems a bit ricerish to me. A 12 second 408 fox is just as impressive to me as a 12second 2 liter fox. Most guys don't give a damn about anything other than who wins the race.

BTW, no need for an aftermarket block for 500rwhp from a SBF, even a 302W block. The article I used, while using a solid roller, is using a 302W production block.

Chris

Edit: I've seen 498rwhp with a hydraulic roller 347 ford sportsman (a slightly more expensive essentially stock block). 547 rwhp was from a very similar n/a hydraulic roller setup after he switched to an R302 block

Last edited by Chris Arnold; 06-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

A late model production block 302 is not going to live at 500rwhp. The RPMs you would need to get that along with the amount of power would make the main caps walk to the trunk of the car. Sure you could do it, once, twice, or maybe 3 times.

2 bolt mains FTL
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Well, it lived a little longer - about 2 seasons. I made a mistake, it wasn't 547rwhp, that was with an R302. It was 498 rwhp on the sportsman. You're right about the main caps, there was evidence on tear down of the caps walking.

Google "marc arnold" and take the first link that says "marc arnold's cobra" or something similar. As the moderator of the 5.0 forums over on stangnet, I got interested in his story and started emailing him to get some technical information about his setup to help out other members and myself. He's a pretty cool guy. Going mid-9s with a low displacement, hydro-roller SBF is pretty cool.

Another cool accomplishment related to an earlier discussion in this thread, though. He went a 10.92@124 on a 306 stock shortblock build.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good kill. The guy obviously was talking **** or has no clue what he has.

Once I gave it a 2nd chance after I learned what to do I couldn't believe what a N/A 302 is capable of. very basic H/C/I setup on the 302 gave me 328/337 and 408/444 on a 100 shot. Then 480/506 on 8spi of boost. Opened my eyes pretty quick.

Maybe I haven't ran into the right LT1 but I've never been left with my jaw on the ground when I ran into a LT1. I get about as suprised as I get when I run a bolt on 2v.
...so what you're saying is a H/C/I 302 makes a handful more hp then a bolt-on LT1? .

I love how LTs somehow got slower and slower over the years, and now they are equal to a 2v.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Puck
...so what you're saying is a H/C/I 302 makes a handful more hp then a bolt-on LT1? .

I love how LTs somehow got slower and slower over the years, and now they are equal to a 2v.
I was posting dyno numbers from my 302 build. I didn't fly cut the pistons so my camshaft was limited. You could build a 302 to make a good bit more than what I made. Sorry but a bolt on LT1 doesn't come close to what a good setup 302 H/C/I can make. Again, we are also comparing 302cid to 350cid.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

I was posting dyno numbers from my 302 build. I didn't fly cut the pistons so my camshaft was limited. You could build a 302 to make a good bit more than what I made. Sorry but a bolt on LT1 doesn't come close to what a good setup 302 H/C/I can make. Again, we are also comparing 302cid to 350cid.
Yeah but if you put H/C/I on an LT1 that 5.turd better watch out!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 100%. Different engines and shouldn't be expected to be compared with equal mods.

Just like a H/C/I 302 doesn't come close to what a good H/C/I LT will make.

Not sure why this thread got so riled up, but I'm honestly not surprised .
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

My 5.0L Chevy (Tree oh Five) will destroy all 5.0L Ford (tree oh toos) b/c I am the ****.

I kid, I kid!

I'm really loving this thread. FWIW, I'm Chevy at heart but I have to give credit where it is due. Properly built engines (in any CID) will obviously out perform a poorly built engine anyday. There are TONS of aftermarket parts out there for all SBC's and SBF's and when assembled correctly it will come down to alot of other things such as who's car performs better and who knows how to drive the car better.
Great Thread Guys'
Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

How about comparing it to a Cobra? They were made in the same era and cost the same as a Ws6/SS. No comparison in performance.. Not to mention how much more rare they are.
It has just as much to do with me as it does you and anybody else that is a member of this forum. REALITY CHECK!!!! This is a public forum, anybody can post about anything they want whenever they want. If you don't like it hit "Log out" and never come back again. Quit crying when someone posts and you didn't want them to. You have been a member for 1 year and only 95 posts, shows how much you have contributed to this site. Hell, half your threads are trying to get people helping YOU! Awesome man. You have no right to tell anyone to quit posting or not to post on a certain topic. Get the sand out of it and man up a bit. I love the last sentence... Could we say the same thing about you, why hell yes. You have zero idea who you are talking to while over the internet. Period.

Bad *** over the internet.... You aren't that far away.
Actually tough guy I am currently deployed to Iraq. Im not just playin bad *** over the internet, I am playing BAD *** in REAL LIFE. Something I dont expect you to know anything about. So think about that before you tell someone to "MAN" up. Pretty cute how you have to look me up on here and see what I post about. Wow some life you must have. Just cause im new to LS1 cars I automatically dont know anything about what im talking about..... Right, I get it, so none of the other camaros, trans ams or the corvette I've owned meant anything. Not even when they recieved new motors equipped with heads and cam. They were not LS1 cars. LT1 and L98 and guess what... Yea I smoked Mustangs with those all day long too. I said in my origional post "there are mustangs that I have respect for" just not that many. Its hard to respect them when they are always in the rear view. Also, I love the last sentence " You have no idea who you are talking to over the internet" I hope you werent talking about yourself LMAO because what the hell are you to me besides some fat *** who sits behind the computer screen and trys to explain to people how great mustangs are. You dont pay my bills so I personally dont give a damn about what you say. Maybe you should go work at a ford dealership and sell mustangs. Prolly better than the stay at home dad job you have now. Oh and one final thing Mr. Badass, if cobras are so great then why dont you own one?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Actually tough guy I am currently deployed to Iraq. Im not just playin bad *** over the internet, I am playing BAD *** in REAL LIFE. Something I dont expect you to know anything about. So think about that before you tell someone to "MAN" up. Pretty cute how you have to look me up on here and see what I post about. Wow some life you must have. Just cause im new to LS1 cars I automatically dont know anything about what im talking about..... Right, I get it, so none of the other camaros, trans ams or the corvette I've owned meant anything. Not even when they recieved new motors equipped with heads and cam. They were not LS1 cars. LT1 and L98 and guess what... Yea I smoked Mustangs with those all day long too. I said in my origional post "there are mustangs that I have respect for" just not that many. Its hard to respect them when they are always in the rear view. Also, I love the last sentence " You have no idea who you are talking to over the internet" I hope you werent talking about yourself LMAO because what the hell are you to me besides some fat *** who sits behind the computer screen and trys to explain to people how great mustangs are. You dont pay my bills so I personally dont give a damn about what you say. Maybe you should go work at a ford dealership and sell mustangs. Prolly better than the stay at home dad job you have now. Oh and one final thing Mr. Badass, if cobras are so great then why dont you own one?
This post is full of win... And not the good kind. I don't even have a responding post for all of this absolute perfection of a post.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
Well, it lived a little longer - about 2 seasons. I made a mistake, it wasn't 547rwhp, that was with an R302. It was 498 rwhp on the sportsman. You're right about the main caps, there was evidence on tear down of the caps walking.

Google "marc arnold" and take the first link that says "marc arnold's cobra" or something similar. As the moderator of the 5.0 forums over on stangnet, I got interested in his story and started emailing him to get some technical information about his setup to help out other members and myself. He's a pretty cool guy. Going mid-9s with a low displacement, hydro-roller SBF is pretty cool.

Another cool accomplishment related to an earlier discussion in this thread, though. He went a 10.92@124 on a 306 stock shortblock build.
my friends 306 went 10.7 at 124 and only made 389rwhp. it was a aod s trim and hci. also had a main girdle. thats the only way a stock 302 block will withstand anypower. oh shes now making 440rwhp no tack times since the heads been ported
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This post is full of win... And not the good kind. I don't even have a responding post for all of this absolute perfection of a post.
LOL Keeping your mouth shut sounds like a good idea to me too. I have MUCH respect for cobras. Trust me I know what they are capable of. I have 0 respect for the every day GT though. Just like the kind that got beat bad in the beginning of the thread. That was all I was saying. Glad you enjoyed reading my post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Off topic but what is your MOS?

Also, learn how to construct a simple paragraph. However, you do raise a good point. lemons, why don't you own a Cobra?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not really, even then we are talking 306cid vs 350cid. What does your 1995 Z28 run....13.7?
Why are you being such a little ****?

My car runs 9.0 in the 1/8th, big ******* deal, its slow, where did I say it was fast?

All I did is the same thing you did, you said if it was a motor that was setup better, it would stomp him, to which I just raised the bar again.

A LOT of people in this thread currently need a nice week ban, and I honestly believe you might need one as well, every time that I personally see you post you just sit here and stir the pot.

I don't give a **** about your car and who you've beaten, how its set up, or how much more power you can make, just give it a ******* rest.

They lined up and raced, someone lost, get over it.

Quick Reply: Built 306 Fox Body Rape