Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra's are fast...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by svendiesel
Which is why I removed that part, I didnt notice the trap speed till after I posted.

Easy Rodddd...easy Rod. I'm not from the Jersey shore and I dont go clubbing, thanks for the offer though.
The "situation"

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
A '03-'04 Cobra IS a SN95 Mustang.
I have tons of mustang freinds and not once have I heard this. They have ALWAYS told me SN95 is 94-98. Please go more into detail on this so an F-body guy can shun down about 5 or 6 mustang guys with his new knowledge!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
***Repost Police***

SN95= 94-04. Occasionally people will refer to 94-98 as "SN95" and the '99-04 as "New Edge." But they are all SN95s.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
SN95= 94-04. Occasionally people will refer to 94-98 as "SN95" and the '99-04 as "New Edge." But they are all SN95s.
Wow, I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

OP Simply a HILARIOUS post! KUDOS, even in a loss!

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Wow, I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info!
I honestly thought you were kidding... As stated, 94-04 are all SN95's and all are based on the FOX platform too, just updated a little.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I honestly thought you were kidding... As stated, 94-04 are all SN95's and all are based on the FOX platform too, just updated a little.
Unfortunately no I wasn't kidding
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real question is which one cost less money to make a 10 sec car? 03 cobra or ls1.. Im thinking cobra but could be wrong..
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
The real question is which one cost less money to make a 10 sec car? 03 cobra or ls1.. Im thinking cobra but could be wrong..
Might depend on how much you trust the LS1 on juice, along with how cheap you can find a rear, etc. The Cobra needs very little from what I've seen, to run 10's. Of course, that "little" may still cost a bunch. The stock engine in that car is next to unbreakable, so it has a great start. I remember reading about one running deep 9's with a stock engine below the S/C and they claimed the valve covers had never been removed. They did swap the trans and who knows what else though... I think it was like 9.39 or some crazy ET like that.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Might depend on how much you trust the LS1 on juice, along with how cheap you can find a rear, etc. The Cobra needs very little from what I've seen, to run 10's. Of course, that "little" may still cost a bunch. The stock engine in that car is next to unbreakable, so it has a great start. I remember reading about one running deep 9's with a stock engine below the S/C and they claimed the valve covers had never been removed. They did swap the trans and who knows what else though... I think it was like 9.39 or some crazy ET like that.
The best thing about them is their bolt ons and porting for a good 650 but after that it gets more expensive. You are right their engines are tough, half way forged, stock. The biggest problem i see with them is their weight, seems like 408s making 520 are walking 580 cobras. Then again maybe its cause were on ls1tech and most people arent as humble when they get beaten by ford guys.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by snake95
So the bumper and the spoiler really "make or break" the image of the car for you? Hmmm...I'm sure I'm forgetting some other minor cosmetic differences...

OP nice death.
The hood, front bumper and rear wing just make the new edge stangs look that much better imo.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
Chances are he was just an average Pulley/tune/exhaust car... Neighborhood of 450-470Rwhp depending on tune and pulley setup.
They run hard from a roll!

Get a few more mods on your belt and go back after him. Cobras taste like chicken!
Not your average pullied car pulling like the way the OP described it. Sounds more like pulley + a shot or maybe even a ported Eaton.

OP nice death. I use to own a Whipple DSG Cobra. I know how nasty they can be
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
Not your average pullied car pulling like the way the OP described it. Sounds more like pulley + a shot or maybe even a ported Eaton.

OP nice death. I use to own a Whipple DSG Cobra. I know how nasty they can be
thats kinda what i was thinking
Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrapyourtool
The best thing about them is their bolt ons and porting for a good 650 but after that it gets more expensive. You are right their engines are tough, half way forged, stock. The biggest problem i see with them is their weight, seems like 408s making 520 are walking 580 cobras. Then again maybe its cause were on ls1tech and most people arent as humble when they get beaten by ford guys.
I haven't paid a moments worth of attention to Cobra's since 2003, really. I hear this or that, and read whatever, but I haven't been involved in the least. That said, I have heard more times than I can remember, that 2003/4 Cobras were built with... Er... HAND built with forged crank, rods and pistons. Even so, the hypereutectic is actually pretty good on its own. I don't think it could handle the power needed for 9's in that heavy beast though.

The car is heavy, but removing weight is fairly cheap. You're not making one all that light, no matter. I'm impressed still, seeing several claims of over 700rwhp and honestly, that's believable, expensive mods or not.

10's probably come easier to the Cobra, money wise. If the OP sees that car again, maybe he can ask the owner how much it cost...
Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Teching In

I haven't paid a moments worth of attention to Cobra's since 2003, really. I hear this or that, and read whatever, but I haven't been involved in the least. That said, I have heard more times than I can remember, that 2003/4 Cobras were built with... Er... HAND built with forged crank, rods and pistons. Even so, the hypereutectic is actually pretty good on its own. I don't think it could handle the power needed for 9's in that heavy beast though.

The car is heavy, but removing weight is fairly cheap. You're not making one all that light, no matter. I'm impressed still, seeing several claims of over 700rwhp and honestly, that's believable, expensive mods or not.

10's probably come easier to the Cobra, money wise. If the OP sees that car again, maybe he can ask the owner how much it cost...
from what i understand its forged rods/pistons but not the crank. yea removing weight is pretty much a free mod with the right tools but i dont think id have the ***** to cut a numbered car up like that. id say 10's are much cheaper but if you look at the cost of both cars on the sales floor the camaro is a good 12 grand cheaper. hell with another 12 grand the ls1's could have gotten a forged motor with a s/c on top and be right up there with the cobra still 5 to 6 years later. me personally ill take that 12 grand i saved and just buy a 408.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrapyourtool
from what i understand its forged rods/pistons but not the crank. yea removing weight is pretty much a free mod with the right tools but i dont think id have the ***** to cut a numbered car up like that. id say 10's are much cheaper but if you look at the cost of both cars on the sales floor the camaro is a good 12 grand cheaper. hell with another 12 grand the ls1's could have gotten a forged motor with a s/c on top and be right up there with the cobra still 5 to 6 years later. me personally ill take that 12 grand i saved and just buy a 408.
The 2003 Cobra wasn't much more expensive than a 2002 SS. I'm thinking they were within about a grand of one another. Granted, the Cobra seems to have a much stronger retail, but for those who bought new... no biggie.

I've read the crank is forged even in the pre 03 Cobra. I'd have to search, but I remember reading "forged steel crank" many times over. I'm pretty sure it's there. It even got an aluminum flywheel to mate the 6spd to the engine.

A (not so) quick archive check gave me more info than I expected... Manley H-beam rods with ARP fasteners, forged dished pistons... and indeed, a forged crank, which was used in earlier Cobras. I also saw an article on the 1st Cobra in the 10's, which happened the summer it came out... The list of swapped/upgraded parts was fairly long and had less to do with the engine than everywhere else. It also got a nitrous system. I was thinking a forged crank was standard from '96 on, and evidently that's the case. I didn't find anything to refute that, anyway. And I believe the block has 6-bolt mains.

I wouldn't cut one up either, but if I wanted to build one for racing, I could certainly shave a couple three hundred pounds off.. spare & jack, seats, whatever unnecessary stuff I could find up front, lighter wheels. And with that great start for an engine, it couldn't be much more to get into the 10's. I remember seeing one in June of 2002 at the track, still wearing it's temp tag, running 12.70's and even a 12.60... It was impressive, though it did have a very accustomed driver holding the wheel. He'd gone 9's in similar(bodied) Mustangs before and even had an '95 running 8's.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
A '03-'04 Cobra IS a SN95 Mustang.
Technically, yes. In order to distinguish between the two (without saying "94-98" or "99-04") it's just a lot easier to call the latter the New Edge and the former the SN95.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

OP Simply a HILARIOUS post! KUDOS, even in a loss!

Right...but we still call the 87-93 foxes and not up until 04. Technically could they all be called that? Yes, but for the sake of convenience MOST people describe them as specific as possible, i.e. fox, sn95, new edge.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

To all the people saying how heavy an '03 Cobra is, (only 3650lbs isn't that heavy especially compared to todays cars), a simple solid rear axle swap saves over 150lbs as well as helping it tremendously on the drag strip.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

You are running some pretty poorly setup Cobras. A properly setup ported Cobra would drag you.

You don't have to tell me about beating them in a NA ls1.
i agree

pullied/port =

500- 515 rwhp vs. 385rwhp 7.2-7.5 1/8th mile. 11 seconds. no way dude.

no different than a stock cobra at 375rwhp vs a built LS1 with 450rwhp.

450rwhp > 375rwhp.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've read the crank is forged even in the pre 03 Cobra. I'd have to search, but I remember reading "forged steel crank" many times over. I'm pretty sure it's there. It even got an aluminum flywheel to mate the 6spd to the engine.

A (not so) quick archive check gave me more info than I expected... Manley H-beam rods with ARP fasteners, forged dished pistons... and indeed, a forged crank, which was used in earlier Cobras. I also saw an article on the 1st Cobra in the 10's, which happened the summer it came out... The list of swapped/upgraded parts was fairly long and had less to do with the engine than everywhere else. It also got a nitrous system. I was thinking a forged crank was standard from '96 on, and evidently that's the case. I didn't find anything to refute that, anyway. And I believe the block has 6-bolt mains.
not just any crank. its a kellogg crank. manley rods with arp2000 bolts. mahley pistons are the weak link. ring lands crush with a bad tune. block can only handle 700rwhp(1000bhp) for a limited amount of time. all 4V are 6 bolt mains. swap in an aluminum teksid, and the sky is the limit. 1000rwhp is typical. use any 31 spline 8.8 with girdle, driveshaft, etc. its an afternoon bolt in. suddenly the car is very light. throw in a cheapo tubular suspension and now its as light as an F-body.

100lbs from block change
100lbs from rear end change
150lbs from other lightening. removing dogbone, rear seat, ABS, manual rack.

its not really expensive stuff. 03-04 cobras may always be the ultimate king.