Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra's are fast...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010 | 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
OP Simply a HILARIOUS post! KUDOS, even in a loss!

I honestly thought you were kidding... As stated, 94-04 are all SN95's and all are based on the FOX platform too, just updated a little.

FOX4(internally) technically. sn95(externally) also. called fox4 inside ford.
Old 06-08-2010 | 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

honesty 700rwhp is a turbo kit away for a termi. swap the intake to a 99-01 or have a sheet upper throttle body adapter and use the stock intercooler, and wellah 700rwhp.

of course fuel and airflow parts come with the kits.
Old 06-08-2010 | 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by assasinator
block can only handle 700rwhp(1000bhp) for a limited amount of time.
You must been the stock short block can only handle 700rwhp for a limited time.
The block itself will hold all the power you can throw at it. I disagree with your
statement that a stock shortly can only handle 700rwhp for a limited time too.
Of course, every engine will only last a "limited time" but 700rwhp is no problem
and it'll last a long time with the right tune and the right fuel.
Old 06-08-2010 | 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
The block itself will hold all the power you can throw at it. I disagree with your
Of course, every engine will only last a "limited time" but 700rwhp is no problem
I gotta second that. There quite a few 1000rwhp cars with Cobra blocks. Most people go for the Teksid if they are building their motor from scratch like I did. The Teksid aluminum block saves 80lbs over the front end over the cast Iron Cobra. The stock Cobra crank (Which is what I used) is good for over 1000RWHP also.

Honorable death OP.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not trying to come on strong man. just sayin.

not true at all. go ahead and race your competitively and see how long a 700rwhp iron block lasts. it WILL split from the main bulkheads parallel between the cylinders. usually on the inside of the cylinders along the valley.

i agree it will last for street use.

the cobra iron block is not a special block, its a standard issue block. so my point is valid, depending on usage. i'll post a thread link to illlustrate exactly where a pro run iron block WILL split.

among the strongest iron blocks are the NVH 5.4 block. 04+. they have a 1250hp limit. the cylinders start moving around. navi 4v era blocks have handled even more.

Last edited by assasinator; 06-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:53 AM
Administrator

not true at all. go ahead and race your competitively and see how long a 700rwhp iron block lasts. it WILL split from the main bulkheads parallel between the cylinders. usually on the inside of the cylinders along the valley.

i agree it will last for street use.

the cobra iron block is not a special block, its a standard issue block. so my point is valid, depending on usage. i'll post a thread link to illlustrate exactly where a pro run iron block WILL split.

among the strongest iron blocks are the NVH 5.4 block. 04+. they have a 1250hp limit. the cylinders start moving around. navi 4v era blocks have handled even more.
A friend of mine runs 8.50's @ over 165mph in a Fox 'stang with a '03 Cobra motor swap...and a big turbo. It's got a stock bottom end and it makes over 1,000rwhp through an automatic. He beats on that thing like it's a red-headed stepchild. I think it has one Diamond piston now, with everything else bone stock. It's just fine and it has been for years. BTW, he spins it to 8,400rpm (modified heads). I guess he's just lucky.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

I think any mod block can hold a ton of power due to simply not having the cam(s) in the block.

OP- your post reminded me of the snitch in that movie "The Longest Yard' w/ Adam Sandler. "He's fast. Real fast. He's so fast, he's fast." lol.
Old 06-08-2010 | 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
I think any mod block can hold a ton of power due to simply not having the cam(s) in the block.

OP- your post reminded me of the snitch in that movie "The Longest Yard' w/ Adam Sandler. "He's fast. Real fast. He's so fast, he's fast." lol.
He's so fast...he makes guys who are fast, look, not fast.
Old 06-08-2010 | 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is what John Mihovetz has to say:

<The fact that I do have an opinion and am taking my time to speak about it should say enough to those smart enough to understand. Al and I are friends. I highly regard his engine building talents and the skills he brings to the Modular community. Comparing what I do to what Al does is unfair and unnecessary. And they are not even in the same world. BUT I do know this. If I want to know something about a naturally aspirated Modular anything I go to Al, John Tymenski or Sean Hyland. And anything that I have here they are welcome to as well.

We are all friends with common interests and all World Record Holders in each of our present and past endeavors together as well as individually. One thing that all of those guys do on a regular basis that I do not is build engines for other people. It is a rare occasion that I will ever work on parts, heads or engines for individuals. I have my own reasons, largely time constraints and an unwillingness to compromise on quality and the dedication, hours spent and effort spent.

So the buying public, the rest of the bitching and crying pain in the asses that are paying attention, hear this clearly. I DO NOT BUILD ENGINES FOR OTHER PEOPLE. I refer all engine building to anyone who calls me to Al Pappito, John Tymenski and Sean Hyland, depending on what they want. I think those guys are the best available to those of you that are purchasing engines. I do not send them dumb asses or price shoppers or tire kickers. They are the best, their experience and results are the best and probably their prices are the highest.

I ran 2 engines last year. One had 80 passes and the last had 50 passes at the end of the season last year. 6.62 @215 last pass @ Fontana.

The cast Iron block block is junk compared to the Teksid block. Take it from someone who knows V/S heresay from those who don't know ****.

And last month I built an 03 Cobra motor with a Kenne Bell 424 blower that made 920 hp and 840 tq on the engine dyno @ 21 psi boost. AND IT WILL MAKE 1000 NEXT WEEK. ALUMINUM BLOCK!!!!!!! 2 Iron blocks FAILED!!!!!! Threw in trash can !!!!!!!!

Details will be featured in MM&FF next month.

Regards,

John Mihovetz

Correction, make that 4 Iron blocks that failed. 2 were last year 5.4 big power blower motors, stock bore 1400 hp motors that were in MM&FF. 2 this year against my better judgement on 4.6 Cobra big power motors.

All cases the bores went catastrophically out of round and had deck distortion. I would attribute all of this to thin cylinder walls to start with. Keep in mind that these were purpose built motors with a maximum .005 overbore, high compression motors.

It is my opinion that there will be a huge amount of 03-04 Cobra engine failures in anything above 700 hp with continued abuse. They appear to be quite amazing engines up to a point. Thus I continue using the aluminum blocks on anything important.>

Instead of listening to others that told me the 03 cobra block was stronger than a teksid i wish i had found this, but I know now and im going TEKSID,
Jeremiah
Old 06-08-2010 | 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is the modular GOD john speaking. take his word for it, not mine.

i do build modular turbos and other motors for fun. i ask the men who know before i proceed. i trust Al, and john, and a few others. not vendors for sure.
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:07 PM
Administrator

that is the modular GOD john speaking. take his word for it, not mine.

i do build modular turbos and other motors for fun. i ask the men who know before i proceed. i trust Al, and john, and a few others. not vendors for sure.
I certainly respect his opinion. I'm just telling you what I know to be true based on actual cars I'm familiar with and my own car. I'll go tell my buddy that his 8 second car should've had the engine let go years ago.
For that matter, mine should've also considering I made over 700rwhp for a while on the spray when I had an Eaton.

Last edited by unit213; 06-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

My friend's turbo fox body on the stock block ran somewhere around 800-900rwhp. The block did finally let go after 2 years. That doesn't mean I'm going to treat my 5.0 block like its going to last. Strange things do happen though....
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
My friend's turbo fox body on the stock block ran somewhere around 800-900rwhp. The block did finally let go after 2 years. That doesn't mean I'm going to treat my 5.0 block like its going to last. Strange things do happen though....
You're talking about an 03 Cobra iron block, right?
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly respect his opinion. I'm just telling you what I know to be true based on actual cars I'm familiar with and my own car. I'll go tell my buddy that his 8 second car should've had the engine let go years ago.
For that matter, mine should've also considering I made over 700rwhp for a while on the spray when I had an Eaton.

not arguing man. just saying.
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

come on man, dont try to pass that off. if you are saying a windsor 5 liter block can handle 800rwhp.

sorry OP. not meaning to stray your thread.
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

come on man, dont try to pass that off. if you are saying a windsor 5 liter block can handle 800rwhp.

I think he meant he ran an 03 iron block in his fox...
Old 06-08-2010 | 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

He is one of my close close close friends. Plenty of people called bullshit out at the races. He told them he would pull the motor out and break it down in front of them if they were willing to bet $$$. At some points I believed he was lying to me. But when he pulled the motor (I cant remember what went wrong, this was 6 or so years ago) I helped him and right there on the engine stand I looked at it and it was infact a 2 bolt main 302 with the stock rods and pistons in it. Past that I can't explain it. I guess its like those stock T5 transmissions that will handle 10 second cars. Just doesn't make sense. Moral of the story is nothing is set in stone when it comes to HP limits...

This same guy had another 302 that he stroked to a 347 and ran like 12.5:1 compression with race gas. On the motor I bet it made...500rwhp. That block only lasted alittle over 4 months. It hung right there with my 126mph car at the time.
Old 06-08-2010 | 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

He is one of my close close close friends. Plenty of people called bullshit out at the races. He told them he would pull the motor out and break it down in front of them if they were willing to bet $$$. At some points I believed he was lying to me. But when he pulled the motor (I cant remember what went wrong, this was 6 or so years ago) I helped him and right there on the engine stand I looked at it and it was infact a 2 bolt main 302 with the stock rods and pistons in it. Past that I can't explain it. I guess its like those stock T5 transmissions that will handle 10 second cars. Just doesn't make sense. Moral of the story is nothing is set in stone when it comes to HP limits...
Wow...I don't even know what to say to that...? What did the car run?
Old 06-08-2010 | 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake95
Wow...I don't even know what to say to that...? What did the car run?
He did nothing but run people for money. Put it this way, he ran 1000cc bikes for cash on the street. Car was stupid crazy and he has never been one to care of his cars blow or not. He has since gone to Supras and he now has a Supra that is well over 1,000rwhp. I heard rumors it was 1,500rwhp but he will never come out and say. He is like me when it comes to letting people know what is done to your car. I guess its a street racing thing.
Old 06-08-2010 | 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

We've totally hi-jacked a REALLY funny thread! At least it's been a learning experience.

I think what John was saying may be 100% correct, but he was talking about engines in excess of 1000 rwhp from the looks. There are many '03/04 Cobras making between 700 and 725rwhp with their original blocks, but there aren't all that many 1000+rwhp cars, period, regardless the engine. Personally, I prefer aluminum for any application that can use it based on weight and more importantly, weight transfer. If an iron block can handle more power in any given engine, and if I want to maximize the power, I'll use iron... provided I think that power is going to be advantageous over a 100lb difference on the front of the car. Then again, I haven't ever been all that serious about building race cars. It's only been a hobby for the most part. While I tore down and rebuilt a few 4.6L's, I don't consider that to make me any sort of expert on how good or bad it is. If I need to do it, I can, but not in any special way to make competition power.

As I recall, John used a 5.4L engine to run low 7's back in 2001, before any 4.6 Cobra got an iron block. I was thinking that block came from a Navi and was aluminum, but maybe it was iron. It seems he still favors the 5.4L as well. I just don't study these engines nearly enough to know and my memory ain't what it was then... The car had to be making more than 1400hp though, to run that quickly down the track. I wanna say it was .20's or even teens. That takes BIG power. Someone else, maybe Sean Hyland, was using a 4.6L with a major weight advantage and getting nearly the same numbers. Those were the guys who "opened my eyes" to the possibilities with Modulars, but I never bothered to try such a build. I knew they are capable then... That's all.

I've read that the quickest 4.6L is in the 6.4's now... Anyone know what block he's using? I've heard his name many times before, but can't remember who at the moment. Big time Mustang racer, no doubt.

Btw, Granatelli offers what it's labeled a 3V 1500hp - Granatelli Pro-Series Extreme Series Short block and the description says the block is iron. Of course, the "aluminum" version is also described as an iron block... "Standard Ford Racing Romeo Iron Block." What's differnent about that and the standard iron block... Well, I suspect there differences, but I have no clue as to what.

Then again, none of this has anything to do with the race in question. I mean, I doubt that Cobra was THAT highly modified, albeit well built, not doubt. In factory form, it's a bullet!