Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

suzuki XF650(think it was xf??) vs. 05 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default suzuki XF650(think it was xf??) vs. 05 CTS-V

Coming to work on a nameless tollway this morning I got to play with a 650cc suzuki.. he was about 5 cars in front of me when he just downshifted a couple of times and took off! I looked down at the tak and saw that I was at 80mph so I slammed it into 4th and stopped his pull and then started to pull him back in fast! Had about 3 cars on him when I shifted into 5th and put about another bus on him.. I glanced at the speedo and was doing 145mph.. not sure where he let off but we both ended up exiting at the same time and the 1st thing he asked me was " what's this thing top out at?" I replied 164mph.. he then said that he has no top end and that he had built it to be a track bike! He said it was a 650cc bike but I don't remember if he said XF or Sf or something like that but it for sure was a suzuki! I really don't know if you would call this a kill as the only thing I did was chase him down and run past him while he was at WOT! We didn't line them up or anything as traffic got to thick for us to continue to play...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SV650. I wouldnt even consider that a sport bike. It makes 72hp 47tq. If he's gonna make that a track bike...he's an idiot.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gixper
SV650. I wouldnt even consider that a sport bike. It makes 72hp 47tq. If he's gonna make that a track bike...he's an idiot.
SV650s are amazing track bikes. Tons of people ride them with GSXR front ends, upgraded shock, and full body work and they are a blast. Besides, there are SV650 classes to race in. I think you might be confusing "track bike" with "drag bike." SVs are great road course bikes. They aren't meant to take anything down in a straight line and anyone who drag races it is just doing it for fun.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
SV650s are amazing track bikes. Tons of people ride them with GSXR front ends, upgraded shock, and full body work and they are a blast. Besides, there are SV650 classes to race in. I think you might be confusing "track bike" with "drag bike." SVs are great road course bikes. They aren't meant to take anything down in a
straight line and anyone who drag races it is just doing it for fun.
some people just cant get out of the strait line BS...theres so much more out there but everybody is wrapped around being the fastest in a strait line. and #'s
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
some people just cant get out of the strait line BS...theres so much more out there but everybody is wrapped around being the fastest in a strait line. and #'s
That's right. If it was all about numbers and straight line acceleration, I wouldn't own an RC-51 or Triumph Speed Triple. Both are amazing bikes, but they will get thrashed by my ZX-10 track bike. That has no effect on what I use them for though and they are awesome machines. Same goes for that SV. It does many things very well.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, thought he was talking about the track because he said "track" bike... its good to see that it gets a good rap for being a roadcourse bike like my car is! Lol
Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah agreed on the SV650 being a hugely popular track bike (track means roadcourse, strip means dragstrip in biking terms). They are one of the easiest bikes every made to handle at it's limits, cheap to maintain, with a HUGE aftermarket. Not fast even when using a fully built engine, and will get beat by a competently driven supersport 600, but that SS600 rider is both highly skilled and working his *** off to do it: while the SV guy probably doesnt even realize they're "racing".
'.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Nice run.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Launching!

SV's are bottom 12 second bikes but they run outta guts on the top end, as you noticed.. good kill. they trap around 104 in the 1/4
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by gixper

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
SV650s are amazing track bikes. Tons of people ride them with GSXR front ends, upgraded shock, and full body work and they are a blast. Besides, there are SV650 classes to race in. I think you might be confusing "track bike" with "drag bike." SVs are great road course bikes. They aren't meant to take anything down in a straight line and anyone who drag races it is just doing it for fun.
Exactly. My '03 SV650 was tons of fun to ride, torquey enough to be entertaining for as long as I owned it, and forgiving enough to be a good starter bike. Good run OP.