Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'01 C5Z H/C vs '03 Cobra Ported/Pullied

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
it was a good run but ur off on a few things. my car makes 14#s not 18, its a 2.76/ 4lb lower. car made 513/508. On the second attempt i kinda hesitated a tad but not alot at all....i think with the current setups it will be a drivers race either way. but high end rolls are def. not terminator territory, i though my **** was going to overheat after i slowed down, bish did not like going that fast. good runs caleb, aight holla at you fools tommorow.
I found you a nice gage TJ
Attached Thumbnails '01 C5Z H/C vs '03 Cobra Ported/Pullied-excuses.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd on asking why is it bad with 5th?
Stupid question?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't know the specifics, but I know some of the downfalls... you hear about people lifting the heads off the block unless they have upgraded head studs. Basically from what I understand, the combination of the boost from the blower and the long 5th gear puts too much strain on the motor.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't know the specifics, but I know some of the downfalls... you hear about people lifting the heads off the block unless they have upgraded head studs. Basically from what I understand, the combination of the boost from the blower and the long 5th gear puts too much strain on the motor.
That's pretty much it. Long *** 5th and 6th gear + boost = lots and lots of heat = kaboom
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ego Killer
I was thinking the same thing lol!!! But seriously, get some day time vids with better tires on the vette. I think the vette's lighter weight and gearing will help it pull in lower gears (as long as it hooks).
Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I buried my car at 160 one time....never again. Yes its very hard on the motor.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its bad to run in 5th gear OR do back to back runs in a Cobra because the piston to wall clearance. The Cobra's are .001 where most forged pistons are .003 I believe. Even with the cooling mods on the Cobra's you could still have the same problem
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Evan, is that the Z you were telling me about a few days ago?
Yes, it is.. Runs hard doesn't it! And there is a LOT left in his setup.
Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
I had just come back from the track and had my spare rims and slicks/tools in the back seat so id say thats around 100 pounds. lemons =170 pounds so your talking about 70 pound difference. The old girl had been beat on at the track then driven an hour before race so it was pretty heat soaked. But like they say excuses are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink. I would like to do a second gear roll but the Z cant hook in 2nd. no doubt the faster we go the Z just has better aerodynamics and is going to have the advantage.
Me and Caleb figured it up last night after we got back.. If you hadn't had the extra **** and he wouldn't have had me he would have been 80#s lighter than when you two ran.
Originally Posted by corysmach1
If you would have done it in 2nd you wluld have jumped out hard....but I am sure you know that. And if he cant hook then that his problem not yours and thats part of racing. What did you run at the track?
No he wouldn't. The Z is set up for a ton of low-mid range grunt, he wanted a sick street car and that is what he got. He could have went with a 215 or the like and lost some down low while gaining some peak Rwhp but that is not what he was looking for.
Both hooking from a 30 roll it wouldn't be pretty. I think 50 roll would be best for Cobra from a roll... Best bet would be from a dig though because the Z has not had much time practicing launching, Cobra would get it I would assume. Who knows though, Z hates digs.
No reason to be like that man... We are all 3 very good friends that have wanted to see this race for a long, long time. Just like my TA and his Cobra... He knew he would get beat from a dig and I knew I would get beat from a roll. There is no **** talking (just little jabs at each other), just clean friendly runs to have a little fun.
Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
whys it bad racing in 5th?
Melt #7...
I knew you would just be drinking this up..

TJ said bring that cute little C5Z you got out to see how she fairs.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are spraying a cobra with say a 100 shot can you run 5th gear cause it will cool off the intake charge enough?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

I have one of those sitting on my dash, I picked up about 25rwhp from it...Then I put a FAST sticker on the window from Evans intake. If it wasn't for that, I would have lost.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
I have one of those sitting on my dash, I picked up about 25rwhp from it...Then I put a FAST sticker on the window from Evans intake. If it wasn't for that, I would have lost.
Those FAST stickers help a lot.. Especially since they came with a 102mm intake. Not sure why TJ took them off the Cobra, probably too much to handle with them on there.
Could have swore those guages were good for 40+Awhp.. Could be wrong though.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good race. need soem daytime vids with no wind.. haha.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
Good race. need soem daytime vids with no wind.. haha.
Hell yea.. We were going to do it on way to track but wanted to make sure he didn't break to make sure he could run.
Right after I did the vid I thought, "****, why didn't I roll the window up part way?".
I usually am driving/racing/following.. Car isn't running right now though.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 AM

That Z06 is a strong runner for sure! That looks like about the same results as when I raced a ported Cobra with my cam/bolt-on/100 shot.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Nice run.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Good runs.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yes, it is.. Runs hard doesn't it! And there is a LOT left in his setup.

Me and Caleb figured it up last night after we got back.. If you hadn't had the extra **** and he wouldn't have had me he would have been 80#s lighter than when you two ran.

No he wouldn't. The Z is set up for a ton of low-mid range grunt, he wanted a sick street car and that is what he got. He could have went with a 215 or the like and lost some down low while gaining some peak Rwhp but that is not what he was looking for.
Both hooking from a 30 roll it wouldn't be pretty. I think 50 roll would be best for Cobra from a roll... Best bet would be from a dig though because the Z has not had much time practicing launching, Cobra would get it I would assume. Who knows though, Z hates digs.
No reason to be like that man... We are all 3 very good friends that have wanted to see this race for a long, long time. Just like my TA and his Cobra... He knew he would get beat from a dig and I knew I would get beat from a roll. There is no **** talking (just little jabs at each other), just clean friendly runs to have a little fun.

Melt #7...

I knew you would just be drinking this up..

TJ said bring that cute little C5Z you got out to see how she fairs.
From that particular race IMO he would have. 50 roll in 3rd is completely weak. But o well.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

From that particular race IMO he would have. 50 roll in 3rd is completely weak. But o well.
Yea, you are right man.. We know nothing about racing. Thanks for helping us out.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yea, you are right man.. We know nothing about racing. Thanks for helping us out.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Sometimes I seriously wonder lol
Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sometimes I seriously wonder wtf I'm talking about lol
You aren't alone man...