Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 2000 SS against 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 2000 SS against 6.0 GTO

I was pullin on to a 2 lane hwy waiting for traffic to go by and the last car in line is a black GTO, not sure what year but as he goes by me he gives me a rev. I pull out behind him and follow, the 2 lane turns into a 4 lane devided. As we come to a light he is first in line on the left side so I stay behind. I can se the 6.0 on his bumper.The light turns green and he jumps out with me behind, we get ahead of traffic and I pull to the left lane side by side. I'm in 2nd gear waiting for the beep but he hits it. I'm ready and I hit it just a nano second behind him. He gets a quick fender on me then I shift to 3rd and we are even. Shift to 4th and still even. I maybe pull a fender by the top of forth but not really sure. We shut it down real hard as another light is approaching. We stop at the light and talk for a second. Cool guy, says I have a hard pullin car and I say the same to him then the light turns and he is gone. Not sure what mods he had but it sounded like exhaust at least.
Do those cars really weigh 4000+ ? They look small!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most weight 3750 without driver. I have some serious weight reduction and I am down to 3500 with me in the car at the track. Streat trim is more like 3675 with me in it.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I weight 4080 right now with me in the car an I am 350lb's. i have a little weight out. in track form i am 3780 with me in the car. give or take a few lb's on it all.

AaklaTexan what all did you have out.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Nothing like a back and forth race.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Default ..

yes us gtos are heavy!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

gm messed up with the gto..they should of kept the weight down around 3400-3500lbs.considering that they no longer made the f-body.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bh353
gm messed up with the gto..they should of kept the weight down around 3400-3500lbs.considering that they no longer made the f-body.
Hey I am not bashing you, I think you thought I was in another thread, but do you honestly love the looks of the GTO? Be honest.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snake95
Hey I am not bashing you, I think you thought I was in another thread, but do you honestly love the looks of the GTO? Be honest.
honestly i do..its not flashy or anything.i have a 96 z28 also and i get more compliments on the gto than i do the z28..alot of people don't even know that it is a gto.if it was just a couple hundred pounds lighter it would be the ultimate sleeper.it actually looks like it is the size of a honda accord..my girls stratus is bigger than my car..lol
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

honestly i do..its not flashy or anything.i have a 96 z28 also and i get more compliments on the gto than i do the z28..alot of people don't even know that it is a gto.if it was just a couple hundred pounds lighter it would be the ultimate sleeper.it actually looks like it is the size of a honda accord..my girls stratus is bigger than my car..lol
You're right dude and I would love them if they were a little lighter. Part of me is uneasy with them sticking the GTO name to it, though, because a GTO was full of personality back in the day, and it was sort of odd for them to stick the name to such a sleeperish looking car. I like the car, I just don't like it being called a GTO.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Staging Lane

honestly i do..its not flashy or anything.i have a 96 z28 also and i get more compliments on the gto than i do the z28..alot of people don't even know that it is a gto.if it was just a couple hundred pounds lighter it would be the ultimate sleeper.
You gotta pay for the massive structural rigidity of the GTO. The 4th gen Camaro's are about as structural strong as a spaghetti noodle. A cooked spaghetti noodle. There's a reason alot ?most? 9 second GTO's dont run subframe connectors: it's unnecessary weight. 1000+rwhp and the car doesnt flex up enough to hurt anything- and alot of shops say what flex there is, actually helps there 60' times without affecting straightline performance (ie, drives straight under power).
Originally Posted by snake95
You're right dude and I would love them if they were a little lighter. Part of me is uneasy with them sticking the GTO name to it, though, because a GTO was full of personality back in the day, and it was sort of odd for them to stick the name to such a sleeperish looking car. I like the car, I just don't like it being called a GTO.
I am also a guy who loves the overall look of the GTO's, at least the LS2 GTO's, but you are right about the naming of it: IMO they would have sold better, and been better recieved, if they had simply brought the Holden Monaro name over from Aussie land.

As far as GTO's having personality back in the day? not really: the straight line performance of the Goat's earned them there standings in the pantheons of muscle car history, not there looks.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Damn OP, almost forgot: nice race! From my experiences I would say a 6.0 GTO versus a LS1 Fbody; the fbody is really close or slightly ahead in your average race. Mod for mod they stay really close, too. So that guy probably was full boltons and 3.91 gears to stay with you. Time for you to add one more mod.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Damn OP, almost forgot: nice race! From my experiences I would say a 6.0 GTO versus a LS1 Fbody; the fbody is really close or slightly ahead in your average race. Mod for mod they stay really close, too. So that guy probably was full boltons and 3.91 gears to stay with you. Time for you to add one more mod.
Yea thanks it was a very close race. I need to race from a dig, I didn't put a 9" in it just to roll race I have a buddy that just got a 2004 Cobra, completly stock and from a roll we are dead even up to the top of my 4th gear. I know I could beat him from a dig. My next mod will be a cam, that should take care of both of them.

As for the looks of the GTO's...I owned a 1967 GTO and I loved the look of that car....the new ones not so much.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

That orange Judge looks sweet. It has a raw aggressive look to it...I just don't think it's the same category as the new GTO.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06GTOKID
I weight 4080 right now with me in the car an I am 350lb's. i have a little weight out. in track form i am 3780 with me in the car. give or take a few lb's on it all.

AaklaTexan what all did you have out.
Cut Out Way bar
Removed Front Crash Bar
Removed Strut tower brace
Removed under hood liner
Removed Fuel Rail Covers
Removed Skid Plate
Removed Floor mats and all from golve box/consoles
Removed V brace and plastic covering
Remove Gas Tank Brace
Removed all carpet and lining from the trunk
Removed Spare Tire and Jack

All performance mods were lighter then stock counter parts. Headers, exhaust etc.

On race mode:

Greg Weld Prostars with MT SLicks and Front runners
No Passenger Seat
No Rear Seat
3/8 tank of gas

May be more but cant think of it right now
Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MY fiance has an 04 GTO and i'm not impressed by it. I don't like the design. Trying to get her to get a 98-02 camaro or T/A.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Launching!

The only GTO i would get is a 6 liter, they should have lightened them up and made them a little more agressive looking IMO
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Defined1983
MY fiance has an 04 GTO and i'm not impressed by it. I don't like the design. Trying to get her to get a 98-02 camaro or T/A.
LOL you dont like the design so you are trying to tell her to buy something else when she already picked that car and bought it? I will tell you GTOs are 100 times more comfortable and ride 100 times smoother than f bodies and 100 times less creaky and rattley.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Nice run. Sounded close and fun

3,770 race weight (me in), 5 gal of fuel and NO gutting. Just the v tow brace removed, spare/jack and lighter converter and exhaust. Everything else factory trim, A/C, leather, power acc....etc. A4. Weighs 3,580 empty. GTOs aren't as heavy as some of you think. Its about a hundred pounds heavier than my buds 02 SS Catfish M6 with Moser axle, subframe, and tube arms & k member.

....and BTW, welcome to 2004. "ZOMG! The new Goat doesnt look like an old fugly Judge or stacked headlight Tempest and is fat & heavy!". Seriously? After all the threads here of these cars yanking ****, the videos...etc? Were still getting flak from 2.73 geared '98 A4 catfish with lid and catback? Psssthh.....

Last edited by CoolAid; 07-19-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
LOL you dont like the design so you are trying to tell her to buy something else when she already picked that car and bought it? I will tell you GTOs are 100 times more comfortable and ride 100 times smoother than f bodies and 100 times less creaky and rattley.
Yep....so much hate for the GTO just because she's a little heavy.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Defined1983
You're crazy. You think anybody is going to want to step into a lower-quality car just because somebody else thinks it doesn't look that good?