Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ls1 vs H22 Honda

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
you are not 1000lbs lighter than my 83 notch 302 at 2500lbs and 450hp. you ricers are not the only light cars out there. but you gotta lose bad to find that out.
I don't really care, I wasn't talking to you.

And I am pretty confident I am not a ricer.

I've had my fair share of losses - the race is what I love, if I lose it just gives me a reason to go bigger lol

Last edited by sujomatt; 08-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mr370z
Maybe I sound stupid but I don't know that much about Evo's and their engines but why on earth would you want less displacement?
You get more RPM's with the 2.0L and 2.1L over the 2.3L and 2.4L. This is helpful in drag racing where all you need is the upper RPM range, but the loss in midrange power can be hurtful in road racing or not as fun on the street cruising.

It depends on what you're building the car for.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

And all things equal between two engines, a bigger engine is going to make more power. We all have our preferences...but technically airflow is not a replacement, its a substitute. Like I said, there's no replacement.
Okay, but when are all things equal?

The engine that flows more air (and can hold together without blowing up) will make more power. Period.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Okay, but when are all things equal?

The engine that flows more air (and can hold together without blowing up) will make more power. Period.
With more displacement, you can flow more air. No?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
You get more RPM's with the 2.0L and 2.1L over the 2.3L and 2.4L. This is helpful in drag racing where all you need is the upper RPM range, but the loss in midrange power can be hurtful in road racing or not as fun on the street cruising.

It depends on what you're building the car for.
Friend of mine has a 2.4L Stroker that rev's out to 9k... How much can you rev a 2.0L and 2.1L?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
Friend of mine has a 2.4L Stroker that rev's out to 9k... How much can you rev a 2.0L and 2.1L?
The AMS EVO drag car uses a 2.1l and revs to something like 10k rpms.
I believe it is also the quickest EVO 8 and maybe the overall quickest EVO. It ran a mid 8 second time.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
With more displacement, you can flow more air. No?
Not necessarily...head design, turbocharging, etc. all are factors when talking about airflow.

All I'm saying is that the engine that stuffs more air into the combustion chamber will make more power, regardless of displacement.

Obviously variables such as thermal efficiency, air/fuel ratios, etc. all can change the ultimate power output, but my point remains.

DSMTalk.com had a 26 page discussion about LS1 vs 4G63, and this very discussion came up (started on page 18 or so).
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...169246&page=18

Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Not necessarily...head design, turbocharging, etc. all are factors when talking about airflow.

All I'm saying is that the engine that stuffs more air into the combustion chamber will make more power, regardless of displacement.

Obviously variables such as thermal efficiency, air/fuel ratios, etc. all can change the ultimate power output, but my point remains.

DSMTalk.com had a 26 page discussion about LS1 vs 4G63, and this very discussion came up (started on page 18 or so).

But would you not agree that there's a certain point where it's far more efficient and cost-effective to go with a larger displacement engine based upon power goals. I mean clearly 400rwhp is achievable with very small engines but is far more easily reached by a larger engine. 800rwhp out of a 2.0L is pretty intense. Doing it with an engine that has 8.4L is far easier and obviously a smaller engine will find it's limit of power making before an engine 2x or 3x it's size.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But would you not agree that there's a certain point where it's far more efficient and cost-effective to go with a larger displacement engine based upon power goals. I mean clearly 400rwhp is achievable with very small engines but is far more easily reached by a larger engine. 800rwhp out of a 2.0L is pretty intense. Doing it with an engine that has 8.4L is far easier and obviously a smaller engine will find it's limit of power making before an engine 2x or 3x it's size.
Agreed.

Ls1 > 4g63

Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Obviously, this is generally true.

All I was saying was that the old-fashioned hillbilly argument of more cubes automatically equals more power is silly. The engine that can flow more air will make more power.

As far as maxing out an engine, or going for a crazy HP number, well, most people won't want/need that much power. The 4G63 will work for me because I don't need more than 800whp and never will.

The main reason I like DSM/EVOs is mostly the AWD system, because there's really no other sports cars out there that have AWD and can make power easily.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
I have heard of them being pushed to 10,500 rpm's. I used to turn my stock motor to 8800rpms routinely.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Obviously, this is generally true.

All I was saying was that the old-fashioned hillbilly argument of more cubes automatically equals more power is silly. The engine that can flow more air will make more power.

As far as maxing out an engine, or going for a crazy HP number, well, most people won't want/need that much power. The 4G63 will work for me because I don't need more than 800whp and never will.

The main reason I like DSM/EVOs is mostly the AWD system, because there's really no other sports cars out there that have AWD and can make power easily.
Yeah I definitely agree with you... I actually really like the Evo's (and because they always go hand-in-hand it seems: STi's but I'm not working on that engine). and would like to own a 9 someday (or possibly a 10) but I'm pretty lost on anything more than basic bolt-ons, tune, etc. AWD is also pretty cool to have and I really want to get into rally racing. I just ain't got the car to do it lol
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

I read that whole argument lol

Its pretty amazing how it stayed rather civil but a lot of ricer arguments were made, some pretty knowledgable guys seemed to cut right to the point however.

Also now the prices are pretty identical if you want a 2g GSX/Tsi or a LS1 fbody so the starting costs are equal.

and LOL at one guy claiming the EVO and terminator run identical 1/4 miles haha
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
I read that whole argument lol

Its pretty amazing how it stayed rather civil but a lot of ricer arguments were made, some pretty knowledgable guys seemed to cut right to the point however.

Also now the prices are pretty identical if you want a 2g GSX/Tsi or a LS1 fbody so the starting costs are equal.

and LOL at one guy claiming the EVO and terminator run identical 1/4 miles haha
Yeah, that was a pretty good discussion. Passionate, yet civil.

I think semantics plays a big role (as well as overall scope of engine modding) in the argument.

Quick Reply: Ls1 vs H22 Honda