Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

svt lightning got me by half a car....no vid!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default svt lightning got me by half a car....no vid!

After i was finishing up the 500 miles of breaking in my gears the other night, i was just cruisin on the hwy headed home. i just got my pcm back from frost that morning, so i didnt have a chance to see the tune improvements aswell as the new 4.10's i just put in...i didnt know what to expect?
so...im driving its 11:30 pm, when a newer white svt lightning rolls up on me, right next to me. terminator truck right? nobody on the road but us. so im like ****, my gears are brand new, i dont wanna hurt them. i just hit 500 miles. im going like 65mph ish...then the guy launches hard as ****...then hammers his brakes and lines right back up next to me. obviously im not letting that **** slide. after a moment of poor desision making toward my new 4.10's.. i rev and hit 6k to let him know its on..so starting from 4th gear 55-60ish i think, we are even until i hit 5th. i lost half a car when i shifted.....right before i hit rev limit in
4th, 5,700k ish..my engine hit a flat spot, or misfired. then hit 6k and rev limit hit. second race i start in 3rd gear, 4,500k or so. did miss fire shifting into forth, but when i ran out 4th to the moon. same thing, misfire at 5,7-5,8k, I shift. And the svt had me again by a half a car....
3rd and final race same as the first race misfire, shift, and half a car.

after, we slowed down to like 20mph, and i asked him what mods he had.
he said ( cai, pulley, tune, and i pretty sure he said exhaust also ).
i told him mine..( lid, Lt's, 4.10's, frost tune, catback, etc..) mods are in my sig.
he didnt seem all that impressed with my ride, he acted like his **** was a lambo...

do u guys think my 02 ws6 did good compared to a newer style 2004ish svt lightning/terminator with his mods, or should i have done better or worst.... (input please!!!!!!!)

thanks for reading!!! stunna

Last edited by stunna p; 07-05-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should of done it from a lower roll... you would of ate em up for sure
Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Launching!

his truck seemed very fast, though mine felt pretty dam decent also. it was probly 67* degreez that night.. cool air helps. but the svt seemed to be getting faster the faster we went.. i wonder if these 4.10's are gunna hurt my hwy game?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ I disagree with mannyman, you really think a truck that size has a better chance from a higher roll? They make good toqrue and have great low end if they can hook. Hes probably trapping in the 105-107 range so you should have done better but im basing this off your need to learn the gears more.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
^^ I disagree with mannyman, you really think a truck that size has a better chance from a higher roll? They make good toqrue and have great low end if they can hook. Hes probably trapping in the 105-107 range so you should have done better but im basing this off your need to learn the gears more.
i agree about learning the gears, this is true. I keep telling myself if i had a ud pulley i would have got him. i passed up a good deal on one 2 weeks ago... i guess im a little obsesive...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

do more research on u/p's, you would have had the same outcome. even on cammed cars there only good for 5-7rwhp with a tune.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

get a cam, screw u/d pulley. or spray
u/d pulley is a waste of money and not reliable heard too many horror stories of them
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

and get a new tune! you should not have any misfires!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

i'd say your car isn't running full power if it's misfiring like you're saying
Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
do more research on u/p's, you would have had the same outcome. even on cammed cars there only good for 5-7rwhp with a tune.
I've used underdrive pulleys on several different cars/trucks over the past 15 years. They are a nice mod (although not the most bang for the buck and not the first mod I would choose).

It does not matter if the car is cammed or not the underdrive pulley works the same. It will give a consistent 6 to 10 rwhp across the entire curve as it reduces drag on the crank. The only problem I have ever run into is running high powered stereo stuff on a truck with a pulley....... even that can be fixed/helped by tuning the idle up a hair.

If the lightning only had half a car on him that might have kept him even.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

i understand being cammed doesnt affect the operation of the u/d pulley, but when you add the extra power of the cam it helps.

i wont use an u/d pulley cause i have too many luxury items that take drag from the system anyways, for the power/cost its just not worth it to me.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honorable death man, things like that make us keep modding our cars

Originally Posted by mannyman84
u should of done it from a lower roll... you would of ate em up for sure
No it would have been even worse from a lower roll. Those L's really shine down low and gradually get slower and slower at high speeds because well they are a truck
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have raced a few friends with ported blower lightnings, and they fall on their face at about 85. The lower you go the worse off you are. Get a new tune and get some more out of your car.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Lightnings, surprising for a truck, dominate off the line. Ford spent uncounted millions designing there rear suspension to hook on those things. If he was pulling you up top, it was because of your bad tune. If you were staying with him at the lower speeds, you should have been walking away from him at a roll. Fix your shi'ite and go lightning hunting, 'round 2'.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Launching!

I think ive got all the bolt on's covered, what more can i do? u think my tune isnt that good? it feels faster?? today i drove it around with out and ses coming on, or any issues. no cutting out at hi rpm's etc.... so im guessing the issues during the svt truck race was a fluke... as far as a re-tune!!
my tune is a mail order tune, I was under the impression those were good for at least 35+ hp's? do i stand corrected????
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

question is then: whats it run in the 1/4 mile? MPH I mean. And/or what's it dyno in comparison to what other bolton LS1's dyno at that particular dyno?

You ever run other full bolton LS1's? How did you do? At your mod stage, you gotta KNOW these answers before you go doing any other mods. You go into a cam or cam/head upgrade and somethings wrong with your setup/tune/whatever already, you could be chasing all the wrong gremlins and wasting as much money as you do elbow grease and patience. Trust me on that!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Launching!

i ran a cam/heads 2000 ss and got murdered... i had 3.42's at the time and no tune.. i havent taken it to the track or dyno. im scared of breaking it at the track, and to poor for a dyno tune...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Without slicks you arent breaking anything with your setup. Sometimes guys break stuff with just boltons (driveshafts, rearends) but they are running either big DR's or slicks and launching the crap out of it. Your stock stuff should be good for plenty of track days without a worry about breaking it. Get some summer only tires and enjoy your WS6! It was meant for the track.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Lightnings are **** slow topend. Thank Goodness you didn't run him at low speeds or from a low speed roll.
I have the SLP pulley-no problems and voltage on the gauge has stayed the same.
Before blaming the tune-clean your MAF,change your O2s and plugs. You can't believe what a difference it makes on a car that needs it. I have seen a lot of misfires from bad plugs and dirty MAF
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

I thought the main attraction of the UDP is a slight increase in MPGs, is there even any truth in that?

Quick Reply: svt lightning got me by half a car....no vid!